Shooting gloves

I have a pair or somethings. I'll have to look when home. Not terribly warm, but would be nice on the range in the cooler months.

Coincidentally, and didn't remember it until I saw this thread, I had a dream last night with a firefight. I couldn't reload my AR with the tacticool gloves I had on. Running and getting shot at. Trying to grab at mags stored in a chest rig. Couldn't grab them. Have to remove these crazy-tight gloves and I can't get them off. Part of a strange dream. Grabbed a BG magazine that looked the same but had Com-Bloc steel-cased ammo. The mag appeared 30rd when I picked it up, went to 20 as I inserted it and then I had to push all the way up with my thumb like I was loading a shotgun tube or something.

I lived, so that was good news. ;)

I'll try and remember to check when I get home.

In the winter, I use men's lined leather dress gloves for shooting. These are fine black leather gloves that you would get at a department store and could be worn with a suit and overcoat. These gloves are actually one of my personal shooting secrets. I have never seen anyone else use this style of gloves for shooting, but they work quite well.

These gloves are not cheap, and they are not tough, but they are reasonably warm, and they provide excellent dexterity. They are made from the proverbial "glove leather," and typically have a fine lining for warmth. On some of them, the lining is cashmere, which seems "fancy", but actually gives an excellent balance of warmth and dexterity.

I usually spend more than $50 on a pair of gloves, and they last one to two winters of daily wear and periodic outdoor shooting. So they end up costing more than I would like, but relative to my other shooting gear, they are really not a big expense. I make a point of not shovelling snow in these gloves, since it wears them excessively.

With a good pair of dress gloves, my trigger finger is fully covered, but I still have enough feel to control a light target trigger. And I have enough dexterity to load a .38 revolver with my gloves on.

If you are interested in these gloves, you can probably try some on anywhere that men's suits are sold.

Last edited:
Funny enough, I use gloves I got from the USPS section at Tripis in Shrewsbury for shooting, and a pair of 5.11 tactical textured gloves when I deliver mail. They have little raised dots all over them that are great for work but I don't think they'd handle any sort of rough work for long, and they aren't very warm.

Here's another option. Latex gloves (or non of you're allergic) provide a layer of protection from the cold air and help keep warmth in. Unless it's 10 degrees out you'll stay not too cold to shoot a mag or two, still maintaining dexterity and trigger feel. Put on Mechanix or something else while reloading or hanging a new target, whatever, right over the rubber gloves.

This is NOT intended to practice "shooting with gloves on in case I get mugged in the parking lot" but rather "keep my muscle memory intact without my fingers turning blue". The difference even a thin layer between skin and cold can make is significant.

If you can find powdered latex gloves, a double layer is easy enough. Or sprinkle some cornstarch on your gloved hands before pulling on the second glove. Surgeons double glove all the time and do things requiring a LOT more dexterity than pulling a trigger.

if you are talking about also using them for hunting, i would make sure they are WATERPROOF.

Nothing worse that slightly wet gloves after a full day in the field in winter

Back
Top Bottom