Shooting in Maine Woods

In a couple weeks I will be going up to my buddies place in Sorrento, ME. While up there we would like to do some shooting and was wondering what is the legality of walking deep into the woods and popping some rounds off? Obviously into something with an adequate backstop. Both me and my buddy who's family owns the place are from Massachusetts.

Will you be shooting on the land your buddy's family owns? Looks like you only need to be 100 yds from a dwelling unless you have permission from the owner. So, if there's enough land/space and you're not trying to shoot on public land, you should be ok. If the land is public, then it would be wise to check with the locals, or authorities to see if you're going to be ok or not. A quick phone call could save you from a world of pain.

Check ME hunting laws. These issues are more likely addressed there than in any general laws wrt firearms.

I checked but didn't see anything about target shooting.

Will you be shooting on the land your buddy's family owns?

No way, it's a small lobster fishing town. His house sits right on a bay with a bunch of small islands we can row to but all those islands are conservation land.

Just wondering besides shooting ranges where Maine residents shoot, and if it's ok to walk into the woods and shoot, and what type of land it is ok to shoot on.

I will probably end up making a few calls to see what the deal is. What do you guys think my best bet would be calling, Fish & Games, State Trooper's?

Have him talk with the neighbors... [wink]

BTW, my uncle used to shoot varmints from his porch in Wells, Maine. Neighbors were closer than 100 yards, but they were cool with him doing it. Stuff like that would have a SWAT team called in short order in MA...

I only say 'used to' since I think he moved and don't think there's targets where he lives now. Been a while since we talked.

If you are going to be on somebody else's land, you probably had better ask them.

Back
Top Bottom