know what you would call it) with my buddy throwing some clay discs
out of a hand held device but never did anything at a range. It looked
pretty interesting but there was one thing that I noticed. All of the
shooters had either doubles or O/U shotguns. Is that part of this event
or is this just the defacto standard? I have a Remington 11-87 premier
and wondered if that was able to be used in this type of event and/or
trap and skeet? If so, is this not an optimal solution? Would I be looked
upon as the red-headed stepchild? Scorned and humiliated and looked
upon as the ultimate outsider in the fraternity of scattergun shooters?
Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks,

TBP

TBP, there's nothing that says you've got to use a double or over/under for trap or skeet. I've never used one...Always used whatever shotgun I've had. The only recommendation for trap/skeet is to not use a pump action, because pumping it takes precious time...A nice semi-auto shotgun would work just fine.

TBP,

I shot skeet and trap with my Rem 1100, semi-auto for many years. When folks get "serious" about it, they usually move up to doubles, either over/under or side-by-side. And when they get deadly serious, they get the shotguns custom made/fitted at the tune of $10K+ per shotgun.

Bottom line is that you can shoot it just fine with a semi-auto.

Folks shoot trap with pump guns at my club. Hell, the club guns are pump action. I shoot with my Beretta semi-auto, but I have been very tempted to take my 16ga. bolt action one day, and go through one round with it to see how she does!

I spent the last year shooting occasional skeet with a $15 single shot
20 ga. Had a great time, though I just bought a gun 100 times more
expensive for the same task [rolleyes] . "Run whatcha brung!"

I've shot skeet with 38SuperMatt when he's brought out his SPAS-12, he kicked my butt with it too. An 11-87 is just fine. It is very common at my club and there are some serious skeet and trap shooters there.

Thanks to all. What choke is used in these events, and what gauge shot is
most commonly used to shoot at these 'birds'? Is there some place on the
web that would let me do some reading up on this stuff so I can stop
bothering everyone with dumb questions?

Thanks,

TBP

TBP,

Skeet #9

Trap # 7-1/2

Do a search here on NES. Links and details have been asked and answered here before. Use Advanced Search or the Google link and you should be able to find the info.

A Rem 1187 is fine for sporting clays. Most of the guys that shoot a breach loading gun either want 2 different choke tubes or more commonly reload and its easier to catch your hulls than pick them up. Some courses if the hulls hit the ground they are the clubs. I used to shoot alot (15,000 to 18,000 rounds a year) but lately handgun has been more fun. I shoot pumps almost all of the time, if I was at a competition I almost always shot a 20ga Winchester Model 12 choked IC, sometimes a 12ga M12. That messed with some guys heads, getting their ass kicked by a guy with a sub gauge pump was more than some egos could handle. Also I just love an old M12. If you would like to try it I shoot at Plymouth Rod and Gun on Sunday mornings, lets go sometime. It will only cost you 3 boxes of shells and 12 bucks plus a couple of bucks for a tip to your trapper.

Thanks to all. What choke is used in these events, and what gauge shot is
most commonly used to shoot at these 'birds'? Is there some place on the
web that would let me do some reading up on this stuff so I can stop
bothering everyone with dumb questions?

Thanks,

TBP

TBP- we're in the middle of planning a shotgun class at the MRA. Right now we've got it tentatively geared for October. I'll keep you posted. The guys are all really nice at the MRA. Sunday mornings are a bit more competition based, whereas Wednesday nights are more low-key. But if you can wait a few months sign up for the class and you'll have all your questions answered, plus lots and lots of shooting under your belt, too! [wink]

TBP- we're in the middle of planning a shotgun class at the MRA. Right now we've got it tentatively geared for October. I'll keep you posted. The guys are all really nice at the MRA. Sunday mornings are a bit more competition based, whereas Wednesday nights are more low-key. But if you can wait a few months sign up for the class and you'll have all your questions answered, plus lots and lots of shooting under your belt, too! [wink]

Thanks SR,

Do you have to be a member at MRA to sign up for the class? Approximate
cost? October is good!

TBP

Thanks SR,

Do you have to be a member at MRA to sign up for the class? Approximate
cost? October is good!

TBP

No you don't need to be an MRA member, but you'll probably have to pay a little bit more if you're not. I think last year it was in the $50-75 range. That covered about 8 hours of instruction, 4 of which were shooting. Both trap and sporting clays. Definitely worth it.

The date isn't settled as it's still in the planning stages, but we're definitely going to run it. I'll keep you posted as I get info!

Back
Top Bottom