• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Should I buy a Mosin Nagant?

I don't have one in my collection yet but I think it is a must for any military surplus collector.

Check with Milsurp here on the board as he seems very knowledgable in this department.

I don't have one in my collection yet but I think it is a must for any military surplus collector.

Check with Milsurp here on the board as he seems very knowledgable in this department.

I found a cheap one.... but it looks good. I sort of want it.

Thanks!

I just called and had him hold it for me....

I could not resist. I have a huge list of military surplus and the Mosin is on it.

I own 5 - not gonna get any negatives from me! Most are in good condition but watch out for bore conditions. They will shoot but I'm not a fan of counter-bored barrels. Ammo is relatively cheap and plentiful but to wring out what the rifle can do you need to pick up some variety. Czech silver tip is the cream of the crop but I'm finding the Bulgarian light ball almost as good.

Joe R.

I own 5 - not gonna get any negatives from me! Most are in good condition but watch out for bore conditions. They will shoot but I'm not a fan of counter-bored barrels. Ammo is relatively cheap and plentiful but to wring out what the rifle can do you need to pick up some variety. Czech silver tip is the cream of the crop but I'm finding the Bulgarian light ball almost as good.

Joe R.

I haven't paid yet, I will check if it's counter-bored or not. Thanks!

I sold one of my two for space reasons, but I've done the math on your question and it works out something like this:

Big cheap gun + Big cheap ammo = [smile] [smile] [smile]

The answer I've always heard is, 'Why shouldn't you buy a Mosin Nagant?" The guns are dirt cheap (M44 for $80, 91/30 for $100), the ammo is dirt cheap, and they make a hell of a big boom. Oh yeah, and they have bayonets...

And they qualify as C&R, so if you have your C&R license, you can get them shipped directly to you. Guns delivered to your door, how cool is that? And if you don't have your C&R, you need to get one (see thread on Curios and Relics).

The cons? The Surgeon General has stated that the firing of M44s can cause bruised shoulders - so buy a pad for the stock.

The answer I've always heard is, 'Why shouldn't you buy a Mosin Nagant?" The guns are dirt cheap (M44 for $80, 91/30 for $100), the ammo is dirt cheap, and they make a hell of a big boom. Oh yeah, and they have bayonets...

And they qualify as C&R, so if you have your C&R license, you can get them shipped directly to you. Guns delivered to your door, how cool is that? And if you don't have your C&R, you need to get one (see thread on Curios and Relics).

The cons? The Surgeon General has stated that the firing of M44s can cause bruised shoulders - so buy a pad for the stock.

Gotcha! I will get my C&R actually. I get more interested in the old military rifles all the time it seems.

"Should I buy a Mosin Nagant?"

If we were on that 70's show and my name was Red, I'd say, "What kind of a question is that, Dumbass?" [smile]

3839.jpg

RESEARCH??? No Need RESEARCH! It Gun - Load Bullet, Pull Trigger, Go Boom!!! NO RESEACH!

Seriously, though, many of the people here on the forum have Mosins. If you posted a thread under the Gun Rangers & Clubs section, I'm sure you could persuade a couple people to meet you at the range with their Mosins. They could give you some tips and pointers, and maybe as a group you could try to invade a small state (I heard Rhode Island is ripe for the picking).

Here's the rundown

91/30: looooong gun

m38: carbine version of 91/30

m44: carbine version of 91/30 with permanent folding bayonet

Carbine version means bigger fireball and boom. So m44 clearly is the winner.

Here's the rundown

Yep, I have the 91/30.

Its a VERY log gun.

Yep, I have the 91/30.

Its a VERY log gun.

It's the only gun I own where the BBL will actually come up above the top of
the shelf in my little gun safe. I'm lucky the safe is designed the way it
is otherwise I wouldn't be able to fit my 91/30 in there at all!

-Mike

Here's the rundown

Don't forget the 91/59 (arsenal cut down version of the 91/30) That has BOOM factor and are usually more accurate the M44s or M38s.

As for should you get one... more like why don't you have one yet? [smile] Any rifle that you can buy plus a case of ammo for under $150 total is a deal of a lifetime for any shooter. Thats C&R price talking.
The biggest thing that turns most people off when it comes to Mosins is what they call Sticky Bolt Syndrome. This comes from some rifles having a tough to open bolt after firing a few rounds. The toughest ones require a whack with the palm of your hand to open it but its not a big deal, after all, these are cheap military rifles not $500 Rem-chesters.
Not saying your Mosin will give you sticky bolt problems but if it does, just do some reading on the net for fixes which sometimes inlcude polishing the chamber with a shotgun brush and drill, or sometimes just simply avoiding certian ammo types.
Lets see some pics when you get it. [grin]

Don't forget the 91/59 (arsenal cut down version of the 91/30) That has BOOM factor and are usually more accurate the M44s or M38s.

As for should you get one... more like why don't you have one yet? [smile] Any rifle that you can buy plus a case of ammo for under $150 total is a deal of a lifetime for any shooter. Thats C&R price talking.
The biggest thing that turns most people off when it comes to Mosins is what they call Sticky Bolt Syndrome. This comes from some rifles having a tough to open bolt after firing a few rounds. The toughest ones require a whack with the palm of your hand to open it but its not a big deal, after all, these are cheap military rifles not $500 Rem-chesters.
Not saying your Mosin will give you sticky bolt problems but if it does, just do some reading on the net for fixes which sometimes inlcude polishing the chamber with a shotgun brush and drill, or sometimes just simply avoiding certian ammo types.
Lets see some pics when you get it. [grin]

thanks, thats good to know.

... and a whole boatload of Finn's! The Finnish government took the thousands of russian rifles they captured over the years, re-barrelled them, added new 2-piece stocks and changed the sights and PRESTO! they had an all new gun! There's at least two dozen variations of Finn rifles, and they all have russian receivers...

Well except for the French ones, and the American ones from Remington and New England Westinghouse... man, don't get me started!

Oy vey, isn't there a forum for all these strange numbers and years and countries already?

The poor guy just wants to make loud noises. Don't make him buy a garage full of greasy Mosins with the money he could be spending on a 50BMG. [wink]

Oy vey, isn't there a forum for all these strange numbers and years and countries already?

The poor guy just wants to make loud noises. Don't make him buy a garage full of greasy Mosins with the money he could be spending on a 50BMG. [wink]

MMMMMMM... Greasy Mosins! ::drool::

Back
Top Bottom