• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Should I buy a Mosin Nagant?

I highly disagree. That's what the other arm is for.

And the bayonet adds another dimension of fun, as does the ability to buy twenty rounds of ammo per 1 .50 BMG cartridge.

I own 5 - not gonna get any negatives from me! Most are in good condition but watch out for bore conditions. They will shoot but I'm not a fan of counter-bored barrels. Ammo is relatively cheap and plentiful but to wring out what the rifle can do you need to pick up some variety. Czech silver tip is the cream of the crop but I'm finding the Bulgarian light ball almost as good.

Joe R.

which one is constructed better, the russian version or finish(from finlad I believe). excuse my spelling. I was told to buy the finish one. anyone?

The Finnish ones are rebuilt Russian rifles. The fit and finish willl usually be better on Finnish rifles but they both come from the same raw materials.

The Finnish ones are rebuilt Russian rifles. The fit and finish willl usually be better on Finnish rifles but they both come from the same raw materials.

So you're saying the Finnish rifles have a better finish? [laugh] [laugh] [laugh]

God, it's too freakin early...

The Finns have a reputation for better accuracy. But from a purely collectability standpoint, consider this:

Russian Mosin Nagant: Millions and Millions made

Finnish Rifles: Only 10's of thousands made

In other words, the Finn M27 and M28/30 I bought recently for $125 and $150 (because they "looked" like regular Russian Mosin Nagants) have a combined value on the current market of about $800 to $900. Happy Face.

That being said, your collection still needs to include the basic Russian 91/30, M44 and M38. They're just too cheap to ignore! Then go for the Finns. My 2 cents...

Oy vey, isn't there a forum for all these strange numbers and years and countries already?

The poor guy just wants to make loud noises. Don't make him buy a garage full of greasy Mosins with the money he could be spending on a 50BMG. [wink]

50BMG is on the list.

the list is too long though, I'm going to have to buy a bigger house. [smile]

One thing to take note on when considering Finn rifles is that lots of times small shims were placed in areas to help accurize their rifles. I've found a few on some rifles, but never in any of the standard Russian ones.

3839.jpg

The top one in the pic I posted earlier (and here) is a Finnish model 39. Below it is a Russian 38. Notice that the 39 is longer than the 38 (carbine) and shorter than a 91/30 (which I don't have ...yet.)

The overall finish on the Finnish 39 is far superior to that of the 38 or any 44 I've seen. My stock is solid wood not laminated. Don't know if they all are, I suspect not.

If you have a chance to get a 39, get one, as they are much scarcer than the others mentioned and a really beautifully made weapon..

Regardless, you'll enjoy the bang, flash and ouch of any Mosin you have !

Hell yesssssss

I just bought one last week. I was just getting back into shooting after 10 years. I researched the next step after my 10/22. Why by a .17 when it will cost the same per shot as a 7.62x54? O and the gun is $130.00???

LOVE IT!!!

3839.jpg

The top one in the pic I posted earlier (and here) is a Finnish model 39. Below it is a Russian 38. Notice that the 39 is longer than the 38 (carbine) and shorter than a 91/30 (which I don't have ...yet.)

The overall finish on the Finnish 39 is far superior to that of the 38 or any 44 I've seen. My stock is solid wood not laminated. Don't know if they all are, I suspect not.

If you have a chance to get a 39, get one, as they are much scarcer than the others mentioned and a really beautifully made weapon..

Regardless, you'll enjoy the bang, flash and ouch of any Mosin you have !

Going to try and make the range today after work actually.

I went for an hour, only had about 40 bullets, but damn, that was fun. I have work tonight too though, so Saturday I'll shoot some more.

you know your firing this thing, unlike the AR which is really light recoil. I wouldn't call this super heavy recoil though either. It was quite manageable.

I have a M39 (Sako), 2 Ishvesk M-44s (a 1946 and a 1944), and a PU 91/30 repro (1943 Ishvesk). Have actually only shot the M39 so far (its in Maryland) but will be taking the virginity of the 91/30 and the more recently acquired 44 this week hopefully.

which one is constructed better, the russian version or finish(from finlad I believe). excuse my spelling. I was told to buy the finish one. anyone?

Finnish M39, etc., are the creme of the crop in Mosins. I own 2 of the Finn's and the M39 is the cat's ass! The Russian guns are good but not to the level that the Finn's are. Still, a 91/30 Russian with a laminated stock does have its own sex appeal!

Joe R>

Sir, I have never had the urge to have sex with a laminated stock 91/30. That image is rather disturbing.

The Finn guns have all been reworked since their capture, usually rebarreled, new stocks, etc. For one you won't need to mount the bayonet for it to shoot right.

I ordered the dog collars for it as well as the take down tool, etc. It came all in a kit.

It shoots straight, has no bayonet though.

I guess the guy who owned it before me did a good job taking care of it, which is cool.

Sir, I have never had the urge to have sex with a laminated stock 91/30. That image is rather disturbing.

The Finn guns have all been reworked since their capture, usually rebarreled, new stocks, etc. For one you won't need to mount the bayonet for it to shoot right.

Man, I'm not that old to remember that items, especially cars, were marketed with the phrase " sex appeal " in the ads! Please, I had to sleep with rifles in the service... I don't do it at home! [grin]

The Finnish M39's and any of that style did have front sights that can be adjusted for windage using a screwdriver. Mine is close so I haven't touched it but I believe that the screws adjust like the FAL's rear sight - loosen to move one way and tighten the other to secure it. I'm at work and don't have the rifle to look at to check - I'll slap myself if I'm wrong!

Joe R.

Back
Top Bottom