• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Should I replace the bolt on my AR when I replace the barrel?

I have an AR that I'm going to switch barrels on. It's a Model 1 upper and the new barrel is a Remsport. The BCG is an LMT and the bolt has seen several thousand rounds. I know that the bolt/barrel tend to wear in to each other over time. Thoughts?

I have a backup bolt, it's the original Model 1 bolt that came with the upper and only had a few hundred through it at most so it should still be pretty new. I would buy a new bolt but LMT has a minimum order of $100.

A few thousand isn't much. If its not broken, why fix it? A new match bbl will come with a matched bolt, but for 99% of your needs...what you've got is fine.

I've used older bolts, although I sent the smith the older bolt and he set the HS when he fit the extension.

Keep in mind that there is .003~.006 difference between go & no-go. Civ. is .003 & mil is .006. You have to go to .0084 to get to a military Field gauge.

Best practice is new extension & bolt, but really that is to give maximum lifespan on a military rifle that will shoot lots of ammo. If it's any kind of target rifle, you will probably pull the barrel way before you have any HS issues develop.

For most .civ applications, I think you would be fine to use the same bolt in a new extension.

B

The bolt on one of my uppers has maybe 9000 rds on it. I need to replace it only because the face looks like the surface of the moon from all the pierced primers.

The bolt on one of my uppers has maybe 9000 rds on it. I need to replace it only because the face looks like the surface of the moon from all the pierced primers.

It's not an issue of a worn bolt - the manual says that you shouldn't swap bolts between one rifle and another because they wear in together.

+1. I wouldn't get Remsport bbl. Going from M1S to Remsport is nothing but a lateral move in terms of quality.
There should be no issue re-using a used bolt in a new bbl. Most people usually advice using a GI gauge to make sure the bbl/bolt are ok. But keep in mind that the gauge is made for Mil-Spec 5.56 chambers not for the "mystery meat" size of lower grade manufactuers.

I would get a new bolt for when the remsport barrel cracks yours

They use larger than standard gas ports. Also there chambers are of questionable dimensions. There have been a number of threads on here recently of people having trouble with Remsport barrels. For a first rifle, you are better off with a complete rifle from a company with a good track record. For the purposes of MA, S&W makes a good one. I believe LMT and Colt also make compliant versions, but they are more expensive.

+1. I wouldn't get Remsport bbl. Going from M1S to Remsport is nothing but a lateral move in terms of quality.
There should be no issue re-using a used bolt in a new bbl. Most people usually advice using a GI gauge to make sure the bbl/bolt are ok. But keep in mind that the gauge is made for Mil-Spec 5.56 chambers not for the "mystery meat" size of lower grade manufactuers.

The only problem I've had with the M1S barrel is that Wolf and Tula cases have been sticking in the chamber requiring heavy amounts of force to extract. I thought it was the barrel, but considering that it's also occurring in another M1S barrel, my Colt 6920, and my Yankee Hill upper, as well as a friend's SBR (and I helped someone else with the same issue a few days ago) I now think it's the ammo.

The reason I'm replacing the barrel is because I want a flash suppressor and bayonet lug on a 14.5" barrel with BCM A2X suppressor. This gun is merely a backup - the 6920 is now my SHTF gun.

They use larger than standard gas ports. Also there chambers are of questionable dimensions. There have been a number of threads on here recently of people having trouble with Remsport barrels. For a first rifle, you are better off with a complete rifle from a company with a good track record. For the purposes of MA, S&W makes a good one. I believe LMT and Colt also make compliant versions, but they are more expensive.

Fair enough.
(I had a bunch of tabs open and this wasn't yet displayed when I did my initial reply...)

By the way, this isn't my first AR... I have multiple ARs, only one of which is a factory build, the Colt 6920 with full evil features.

While we're on the subject; where is the best place to buy just a bolt?

When I say "best", read "cheapest".

Bushmaster complete bolts are $56 - Part number 8448509.

People will malign them but they generally make good stuff.

I would buy a bolt from Bravo Company, not much more money and you will get a bolt that meets Mil spec and has been MPI inspected.

Back
Top Bottom