~ Should lead HV-22LR bullets be manufactured in the first place? . . .

100_0423.jpg

I bumped into this video about the Remington Thunderbolt HV 22LR ammo and what it can do to the rifling of a pistol barrel. I only use CCI standard velocity ammo in my pistols almost entirely so I haven’t had this trouble. Has anyone else have this happen to them, the fouling does seem a bit excessive for 300 rounds doesn’t it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Rem should stop making Thunderbolts, period.

YES, my Wife and I experienced this exact condition with that particular ammo. I broke one cleaning rod (bent) and 2 cleaning brushes cleaning that crud out of a barrel (S&W pistol).

Shouldn't use HV in pistols typically but no other HV ammo has caused this sort of damage in any of my guns.

HV ammo is appropriate for rifles.

Thunderbolts are crap, plain and simple.

Mark, I've never had a problem with Golden Bullets. Work perfectly in my AA conversion kit for the Glock (specifically recommended by AA) and Ciener conversion kit for my 1911. Otherwise they are only shot in my 10/22 (not in any other pistols).

I try to talk people out of buying them, but they rarely listen.....It's truly world class garbage. Remington should be ashamed for putting this crap to market...Their Golden Bullets are not much better....[slap]

At least the snap crackle pop golden bullets won't gum up the barrel. (Well, with anything other than the dirt remington calls smokeless powder.... )

-Mike

Mark, I've never had a problem with Golden Bullets. Work perfectly in my AA conversion kit for the Glock (specifically recommended by AA) and Ciener conversion kit for my 1911. Otherwise they are only shot in my 10/22 (not in any other pistols).

They do work Len - barely. Use the least amount of hearing protection you're comfortable with and try to listen for the snap, crackle, pop...It's easily the most inconsistently loaded 22lr I have ever fired. I shot a bunch of it out of my !0/22 and was simply amazed....

They do work Len - barely. Use the least amount of hearing protection you're comfortable with and try to listen for the snap, crackle, pop...It's easily the most inconsistently loaded 22lr I have ever fired. I shot a bunch of it out of my !0/22 and was simply amazed....

What I've found is the lots vary. The stuff I used to get from my local gun shop was great. It was the GB 525 flat square box.

I have a funny story about this, actually. A couple of years ago at a plate shoot with 22s, another shooter there needed some ammo to run his 22, so I gave him some of my 525 box. Fine. Then a few weeks later we were at another one. He decided to "repay me" by taking golden bullet out of his wal mart value pack box and put it into mine on the picnic bench. Well... guess what... his little "ammo donation" basically contaminated my box of golden bullet. The ammo from his lot was loaded with duds! From that point onward I literally could not fire a single mag of the stuff without getting at least one fire failure every other mag!

On average it's usually not that bad..... but there are some lots of GB that were REALLY bad. It's kind of moot now because its almost hard to find the stuff.

-Mike

All "clean fire" .22 works much the same way: bullets are coated with wax, which is supposed to clean the bore. The problem here is the craptastic powder that Remington uses, much of which is unburned, but stays behind and binds to the wax.

I seldom shoot a .22 pistol (I only have a Ruger Standard for that), but in rifles it didn't take me anywhere near 300 rounds to conclude that this was crappily inaccurate ammo with a MV standard deviation of, roughly, infinity.

What I've found is the lots vary. The stuff I used to get from my local gun shop was great. It was the GB 525 flat square box.

I have a funny story about this, actually. A couple of years ago at a plate shoot with 22s, another shooter there needed some ammo to run his 22, so I gave him some of my 525 box. Fine. Then a few weeks later we were at another one. He decided to "repay me" by taking golden bullet out of his wal mart value pack box and put it into mine on the picnic bench. Well... guess what... his little "ammo donation" basically contaminated my box of golden bullet. The ammo from his lot was loaded with duds! From that point onward I literally could not fire a single mag of the stuff without getting at least one fire failure every other mag!

On average it's usually not that bad..... but there are some lots of GB that were REALLY bad. It's kind of moot now because its almost hard to find the stuff.

-Mike

Remington execs - anxious to unload their poison stew, rubbed their hands together and sent it all to DSG...We're loaded with those 525 flats...They sell like hotcakes...[grin]
I had to purchase a box last winter for the Boy Scout Klondike Derby - I had 10 shooters on the line - all using Golden Bullets and it was really like listening to an ammo xylophone...pop, pop, crack, pop, bang, pop, bang...Same thing through my 10/22...We used up most of it, but what was left went into the dud bucket. [smile] I'd rather pay more for CCI - some things are worth the money...

6hold,
I beg to differ with you on the cause of the problem you described. It's not wax in the grooves of the barrel it is lead.
I have found Remington Thunderbolt to be very accurate ammo which is less prone to ignition failures than the Remington Golden Bullet ammo. Unfortunately if you do not allow the barrel to cool after firing ca 20 or 30rounds rapid fire you will lead the barrel (guess how I know?). Also I would not fire it in revolvers as it tends to lead the cylinder face. I find it safer to use copper plated HV ammo and only SV lead ammo.

Last edited:
~ VIDEO: Trying out different 22 RF ammo

Here’s a video you might want to take a gander at, after all the talk on 22 RF ammo. The video is of a gent that’s going to try out a bunch of different types of 22~RF ammo in his diminutive Beretta 21A . He does seem to get a tad exasperated with a couple types of ammo but it’s interesting all the same. Some of the more potent ammo does show more flame at the muzzle. Take a peek at the last magazine that he empties, it seems to me that he only gets six (6) to fire off, not the usual seven shots like the others and he doesn’t comment on a misfire of some sort.​

Beretta 21A ~ Ammo Test:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TWhULZ27Mk

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom