Showing driver’s license with LTC?

They seemed like nice guys so I’m not going to out them, but I purchased a handgun from a fellow NES’er the other day and since he was out of personal transfers, we met at a local FFL. Was asked for the very first time in a quarter of a century and dozens of purchases to show my drivers license. Assuming this is the FFL being annoyingly FUDD like and there’s nothing in the book about this (he also requested my PIN)? Why would he ask for this in addition to the LTC and PIN?

We have constitutional carry here in Kentucky although a CCDW permit is available for those who might want one for out of state travel, AND having one removes the necessity to have to do a NICS check when buying a gun.

My local guy requests both my CCDW permit and driver's license just as a matter of course so that nothing could come back on him as an FFL for not requiring identification.

Conversely, no ID is required at all for face to face transactions between citizens. It's cash and carry.....left up to the integrity of the people.

Did they ask for your phone number too? I have been asked for my DL and phone many times, never occurred to me I should be offended by it. I think it is just the standard 2 forms of ID thing..... yeah, I know it is not required by law.

When I used to work at a gun store (out of MA) we had to ask for a state ID to establish residency for the 4473 since a carry permit wasn't considered a "government ID" by the AFT. I guess to them a permit and an identification are different.

They seemed like nice guys so I’m not going to out them, but I purchased a handgun from a fellow NES’er the other day and since he was out of personal transfers, we met at a local FFL. Was asked for the very first time in a quarter of a century and dozens of purchases to show my drivers license. Assuming this is the FFL being annoyingly FUDD like and there’s nothing in the book about this (he also requested my PIN)? Why would he ask for this in addition to the LTC and PIN?
Some want it for current address verification, especially if your address has changed and your LTC address doesn't match the MA FRB record they pull up.

Jesus christ.......so they asked for your DL.....your already a peasant of mass that has to have an ltc ffs who cares if they ask for DL as well. Probably just establishing residency.

0.5/10 on the rant scale.

Not to mention EOPS has access to both databases anyways.

Theres a lot of shitty gun shop practices at a lot of shitty shops in mass.

This one isnt even worth talking about. It's not something I am going to ding an otherwise not-crap shop over.

Does your LTC have your current address on it? If not then the DL is needed for residency. If not, then it is their procedure and exceeds what the law requires. Don't like it, go elsewhere.

I would say that 20% of my customers give me their DL with the LTC out of habit. They have been "well" trained by other shops it seems. I would also say that 10% hand me their LTC before picking up a gun I am trying to show them.

I do not want your DL unless I need it for residency. I don't want your LTC until you are purchasing. Everything else is excessive. Clearly lots of shops do both based on how many pavlovian behaviors my customers exhibit.

I don't recall being "asked for a PIN" before. What is the purpose of this? How do I find mine? Maybe should just jot it on the back with a sharpie.

All of this is sus.
Last 3 transfers I gave done (purchases) I was asked for my pin. It's on the letter you receive when you get your ltc or renew your ltc. I have mine stored as a "phone number" in my cell phone under "gun pin". Every time you renew you get a new pin.....and I update the number in my cell phone.

Last 3 transfers I gave done (purchases) I was asked for my pin. It's on the letter you receive when you get your ltc or renew your ltc. I have mine stored as a "phone number" in my cell phone under "gun pin". Every time you renew you get a new pin.....and I update the number in my cell phone.
Hmm. Maybe I did that also, from someone on here saying to do that. I'll need to check. Thanks for this. A good way to do that. I suppose this could be used for other things, and put a photo and enter it as a "contact".

I bought a lever action on a whim at a smaller shop up by me. I had moved, done all the necessary blah blah blah for an LTC and a license address change. The shop didnt want to sell it to me because he couldnt understand why the address was different on the card vs where I was currently living. I told him he should run for governor so that he can issue new cards anytime there is a change.

I bought a lever action on a whim at a smaller shop up by me. I had moved, done all the necessary blah blah blah for an LTC and a license address change. The shop didnt want to sell it to me because he couldnt understand why the address was different on the card vs where I was currently living. I told him he should run for governor so that he can issue new cards anytime there is a change.
I can visualize the guy looking at multiple ids you have provided, looking confused like the guy leering into his neighbors windows at the beginning of this....

View: https://youtu.be/f-BCYDbrGbs?si=q84OPgxPu6Ox-C83

It reminds me of the guy at Walmart years ago that kept rechecking my LTC every time the register asked him to is though somehow or another it would have changed since the last time he picked it up and looked at it...... 🤣

I may or may not know of a shop located in a town where the police chief has decreed he shall get a record of each gun sale faxed to his office. What he may or may not do from there is unclear. I wonder if he can cite the law requiring that if the practice does in fact exist.

I don't recall being "asked for a PIN" before. What is the purpose of this? How do I find mine? Maybe should just jot it on the back with a sharpie.

All of this is sus.

For a face to face transfer via the portal the portal asks for the sellers PIN.

But every time I’ve bought a gun from an FFL as the buyer I’ve been asked for my PIN for them to complete the FA10

I guess if you’re never doing an FA10 and just buying frames /receivers from an FFL than you may never need your pin. Or if you’re doing face to face as the buyer then you wouldn’t need it either.

So what is the big deal?

Were you able to get the gun?
- if yes, then who cares?

This FFL licensed dealer may feel more comfortable entering the driving license rather than the LTC info in the identification section on the 4473, as this is audited by the feds and not the state.

Back
Top Bottom