• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

sig mosquito FTE/damaged extractor

well now that i got the gun to feed ammo properly it doesn't eject the cartridges most of the time. upon closer inspection the extractor is definitely damaged.

there's a V-shaped chunk of metal that looks to have been taken out square in the middle of the extractor and it appears that it may also be cracked. you've really got to get close to it to see the damage but it's there. i am hesitant to take it back to SLGS because i can't prove that it was sold to me with a bad extractor and don't want to make that claim if i am not %100 sure about it. it very well may have broken after i had them check it out the day i bought it.

i also am not sure if sig will work on it as i've polished up the feed ramp myself so that it will feed correctly. sig also has this to say about the warranty on the mosquito specifically:

SIGARMS warrants that the enclosed firearm was originally manufactured free of defects in material, workmanship and mechanical function. For the period of one year, SIGARMS agrees to correct any defect in the firearm for the original purchaser by repair, adjustment or replacement, at SIGARMS' option, with the same or comparable quality components (or by replacing the firearm at SIGARMS' option); provided, however, that the firearm is returned unloaded and freight prepaid to SIGARMS at 18 Industrial Drive, Exeter, NH 03833.

This one-year warranty is null and void if the firearm has been misused, damaged (by accident or otherwise), fired with handloaded, reloaded or improper ammunition, fired with an obstruction in the barrel, damaged through failure to provide reasonable and necessary maintenance as described in the manual accompanying the firearm, or if unauthorized repair or any alteration, including of a cosmetic nature, has been performed on the firearm. This one-year warranty does not apply to normal wear and tear of any parts.

Subject to the foregoing, this one-year warranty confers the right to have the covered firearm or its parts repaired, adjusted or replaced exclusively upon the original purchaser, which right is not transferable to any other person. No implied warranties of any kind are made herein and this warranty does not apply to any accessory items attached or appurtenant to the firearm.

In no event shall SIGARMS be liable for any incidental or consequential damages arising from or in connection with this limited warranty.

does anyone have any tips or suggestions? i would like to just get the part and do the work myself if at all possible but i don't know if that is within my realm of know-how.

it appears in the manual ( http://www.sauer-waffen.de/uploads/media/MOSQUITO_03gb_08.pdf ) on page #27 that once i remove the safety on the slide that i should be able to drop the whole assembly out and i'd have access to the firing pin assembly and the extractor. can anyone help me out with deciphering the exploded diagram?

aaron you still want to buy it? [rofl]

Funny... I just left the range with mine. On my first trip to the range about six months ago the breech block broke! Sig fixed that no problem. For the first 500 rounds or so it jammed up every so often. It was frustrating.

Today I helped out at a boyscout shoot. It worked flawlessly. People were bringing up all sorts of different ammo and it just worked. FYI I do find that wiping it down and lubing it helps before shooting.

Actually at one point it stopped working. I walked over the check it out and the boyscout had turned on the safety!

Sorry to hear of your misfortunes, though. That is no fun.

Best,

Rich

i was ready to just toss it into the grass and leave it at the range. i love shooting the one PSS owns but mine has been nothing but trouble. at the earliest i will be able to call sig monday and see if they tell me to take the mosquito and shove it or that they will warm my heart and fix my mosquito for me.

i eventually would like a P226 but if sig doesn't make this mosquito right i am not sure i'll want to buy another sig for a long time--even if a mosquito is not an accurate reprsentation of their product line they still put their name on it.

If all else fails, GrayGuns does a reliability job on Mosquitos.....but it's $185.

They make it run correctly and smooth out the trigger.

I realize that's no real consolation, though.

Good luck.

Why are you concerned that they won't honor the warranty? Call them, send it in, don't say a damn thing about the feedramp because it's completely unrelated to the problem.

beerguy: it would be worth it to me to have the thing perform like a champ. most of the reason i bought it was so that i could have my girlfriend train with it as a .22 is very friendly to new shooters. she can handle my 92FS but still thinks there's a bit too much recoil on the 9mm. i want to get her more comfortable with guns and then we can work on proper sight picture, trigger squeeze, etc. on something that is easy to train with and then move her up to a larger caliber.

do you have any contact info for the place you mentioned, beerguy? if sig tells me no but these guys will stand behind their work and do a good job i'd give them my business.

it appears that even if i wanted to try to replace the extractor myself i'd have to go to sig to get it anyway. i think that once this is corrected the gun will be good to go. i polished the chamber a little bit but got the feed ramp to a mirror finish. before a real close inspection on the extractor i simply thought i needed to shine up the edge of the chamber a bit more but that's not the case anymore. [sad2]

vellnueve: sig states that the warranty is not transferrable on their webpage. something that's mosquito-specific. i'm not the original owner and therefore the warranty does not apply to my gun anymore. i will call and ask and of course not mention anything about this but i am expecting for them to say they will not cover it.

thanks, i didn't know they had someone who could work on sigs there. my girlfriend's parents live in woburn. it's kind of a hike from here but it's good to know i have that option.

mark,
call the dickheads that sold it to you and tell them you either want your money back or them to fix the gun once and for all.for what you paid for that gun it should run as good if not better than mine.as far as proof goes as to wheather you screwed it up or if it was bought that way you already returned it once for feeding issues.if they don't help you fix it,i'm sure sig will help you out.but i'd try the gun store first

mark,
call the dickheads that sold it to you and tell them you either want your money back or them to fix the gun once and for all.for what you paid for that gun it should run as good if not better than mine.as far as proof goes as to wheather you screwed it up or if it was bought that way you already returned it once for feeding issues.if they don't help you fix it,i'm sure sig will help you out.but i'd try the gun store first

This is what I would do. The store should step up to the plate if they value your business.

i might give them a call in the morning. i don't want to accuse them of selling me a bad gun 12 days ago, the original problem was mostly FTF and i think the original FTE issues were because of the spring... any suggestions on how i should approach this with the shop?

i only have taken it out twice since the day i bought it, last saturday and then again today. last week it was feeding OK with the mini-mags i bought but this afternoon even the mini-mags were not functioning properly and i had to remove some rounds from the chamber with pliers.

took it back to SLGS as soon as they opened today and they were great. they took care of me and the problem and fixed the extractor while i waited. fortunately it wasn't actually broken but did need some grinding to get the tooth to where it should be. the armorer said that it wasn't even grabbing rounds at the point it was at when i brought it in.

we popped off a mag behind the building and it went great. while i was waiting i bought a stripped AR upper so my project for the day is to try to get that built and if i have time i will go to the range with a box of mini-mags and the mosquito.

overall +1 for SLGS. great shop and great guys.

took it back to SLGS as soon as they opened today and they were great. they took care of me and the problem and fixed the extractor while i waited. fortunately it wasn't actually broken but did need some grinding to get the tooth to where it should be. the armorer said that it wasn't even grabbing rounds at the point it was at when i brought it in.

we popped off a mag behind the building and it went great. while i was waiting i bought a stripped AR upper so my project for the day is to try to get that built and if i have time i will go to the range with a box of mini-mags and the mosquito.

overall +1 for SLGS. great shop and great guys.

Glad it worked out for you!

after shooting 100 rounds i had one jam and one or two FTFs... i think i just have to hit the feed ramp with some more sandpaper. my goal is to get it to function as good with cheapo .22 as with mini-mags. we'll see about that one!

State Line is a great shop. I wish it weren't so damn far away.

That rate of jamming/FTF is pretty much par for the course for a semi-auto .22. Don't go too crazy on the feedramp lest you take too much material away and it gets worse.

Funny... I just left the range with mine. On my first trip to the range about six months ago the breech block broke! Sig fixed that no problem. For the first 500 rounds or so it jammed up every so often. It was frustrating.

Today I helped out at a boyscout shoot. It worked flawlessly. People were bringing up all sorts of different ammo and it just worked. FYI I do find that wiping it down and lubing it helps before shooting.

Actually at one point it stopped working. I walked over the check it out and the boyscout had turned on the safety!

Sorry to hear of your misfortunes, though. That is no fun.

Best,

Rich
ROGER that, polish and clean the chamber and run it wet with a grease/oil mixture... works great for me.

Back
Top Bottom