• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Sig P938 owners. Ever had failure to eject?

Kusiak makes and incredible product worth the wait. Cocked and locked isn’t as big of a deal as people make it. The firing pin has a trigger safety as well the manual safety so the hammer can’t inadvertently fall and fire the gun. Plenty of people out there carrying the free state version of the P365 no safety and super light trigger pull, but show them a 1911 style gun (even traditional with trigger safety, grip safety and manual safety) and all of a sudden they put on their “I would never” face.
I know what you mean. I even went through a “not sure” thing. People must not know about the firing pin lock. I bought a Kusiak thinking I would buy a better holster later on. I’m still using the Kusiak because it is so slim. I like the forward cant on them also.

Attachments

• 23B4A4FD-B131-4281-BD2B-4AA8D462C2EF.jpeg
    23B4A4FD-B131-4281-BD2B-4AA8D462C2EF.jpeg
    45.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 98D3C62A-8599-4AE1-BADB-42709DFBDBF4.jpeg
    98D3C62A-8599-4AE1-BADB-42709DFBDBF4.jpeg
    32.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 6D899F66-8BDB-480B-887E-575FCD8871DF.jpeg
    6D899F66-8BDB-480B-887E-575FCD8871DF.jpeg
    49 KB · Views: 19
Kusiak makes an incredible product worth the wait. Cocked and locked isn’t as big of a deal as people make it. The firing pin has a trigger safety as well the manual safety so the hammer can’t inadvertently fall and fire the gun. Plenty of people out there carrying the free state version of the P365 no safety and super light trigger pull, but show them a 1911 style gun (even traditional with trigger safety, grip safety and manual safety) and all of a sudden they put on their “I would never” face.
I think some of the “I would never” faces would be from people like me who think it’s not a good idea to have a defensive gun with a manual safety. There’s a decent chance you forget about the safety in the heat of the moment and just draw your firearm and ...click ...but no bang.

I think some of the “I would never” faces would be from people like me who think it’s not a good idea to have a defensive gun with a manual safety. There’s a decent chance you forget about the safety in the heat of the moment and just draw your firearm and ...click ...but no bang.
On the other hand what are the chances of needing it in the heat of the moment. I would say just keep practicing taking it off.

The 938 safety is right there to knock down with my thumb. I wouldn’t carry it without it on the safe on position. The single action trigger doesn’t allow for any movement. I put the safety on after I empty a magazine at the range just to turn it off when I shoot. The memory thing. Nice that Sig designed it so you can rack it with the safety on. My other two don’t have safeties that I carry, on occasion, but the 938 is my primary go to because I can shoot it well.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8rRmJtdg7qo

while I don’t agree with everything this guy says he makes a solid point about manual safety. You just have to train it into your draw technique. Whether using a Glock or manual safety gun like 938. Train until it’s muscle memory not thought, most 1911 carriers are the same way, you are right though it is something that needs to be committed to and trained with.

Also the gun doesn’t go click with no bang, the trigger doesn’t move And the hammer doesn’t fall when the safety is on.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8rRmJtdg7qo

Went to the range this morning. Herters ball ammo and sig V crown. V crown ran good. Still one failure to eject. I think it is caused by one or the 7round magazines. It became unseated or it wasn’t completely seated when I put it in. I ejected rounds and none were damaged. Here is a picture of what the spent shells look like after they are ejected. I don’t think it is a problem but if I reloaded I don’t think I would use them. Same crease in the same spot must be hitting the slide C09CC9D6-8705-421B-9F3F-49CC08901D1D.jpeg

Went to the range this morning. Herters ball ammo and sig V crown. V crown ran good. Still one failure to eject. I think it is caused by one or the 7round magazines. It became unseated or it wasn’t completely seated when I put it in. I ejected rounds and none were damaged. Here is a picture of what the spent shells look like after they are ejected. I don’t think it is a problem but if I reloaded I don’t think I would use them. Same crease in the same spot must be hitting the slide View attachment 387583

Do you mean unseated in the Mag before it loaded in the chamber. I shot about fifty Sig rounds didn't have a problem it was just that one time.

Do you mean unseated in the Mag before it loaded in the chamber. I shot about fifty Sig rounds didn't have a problem it was just that one time.
When you pull a magazine out of these things the top round pops out of it a little. Well the magazine wasn’t seated all the way or the catch got hit when I was shooting. When I reseated the magazine I think the top round prevented the slide from going back because the top round had a dent on top of the bullet. Wished I took a picture of that. I am glad that it cycled the V-Crown without any issues. I’ll be getting some more of that instead of the Hornady.

I thought they had a 500 rd spring life i could be wrong tho I read it on the interwebs

jkelly, I just googled it and over at sigtalk one of the symptoms of a week spring is in fact failure to eject. Thank you. They say 1000 rounds to replace. The spring pack comes with the firing pin spring also. Pack of three for $24 and change. I’ll get them on order. Thanks again, you just opened my eyes to be more vigilant. Keeping my firearms spotless is only part of maintaining them. I’ll be looking into the Seecamp also and ordering springs for that too. When I get a chance to get to the range I’ll update.

Last edited:
jkelly, I just googled it and over at sigtalk one of the symptoms of a week spring is in fact failure to eject. Thank you. They say 1000 rounds to replace. The spring pack comes with the firing pin spring also. Pack of three for $24 and change. I’ll get them on order. Thanks again, you just opened my eyes to be more vigilant. Keeping my firearms spotless is only part of maintaining them. I’ll be looking into the Seecamp also and ordering springs for that too. When I get a chance to get to the range I’ll update.
Happy to help man

I still have two packs left from the 3-pack of springs I bought from Sig a few months back. The 938 is my summer carry gun and it’ll be put away soon until next summer. If Sig is backlogged let me know and I’ll send you one. (Recoil and firing pin springs).
When I first got mine in 2017 it would drop the mag after every round when using 7-round mags. Emailed Sig and they sent me a new mag catch no charge. No problems since. The only issue I have with it is occasionally the hammer will not return to full cock and that has only happened with my mild reloads (which run flawlessly in all 7 of my other 9mm guns, including 3 Lugers). I have had no FTE’s with the 938.
But yes, try replacing those springs and see what happens. For some reason this gun has a short recoil spring lifespan.

I still have two packs left from the 3-pack of springs I bought from Sig a few months back. The 938 is my summer carry gun and it’ll be put away soon until next summer. If Sig is backlogged let me know and I’ll send you one. (Recoil and firing pin springs).
When I first got mine in 2017 it would drop the mag after every round when using 7-round mags. Emailed Sig and they sent me a new mag catch no charge. No problems since. The only issue I have with it is occasionally the hammer will not return to full cock and that has only happened with my mild reloads (which run flawlessly in all 7 of my other 9mm guns, including 3 Lugers). I have had no FTE’s with the 938.
But yes, try replacing those springs and see what happens. For some reason this gun has a short recoil spring lifespan.
Thanks 45collector. I will email Sig today and see if they will mail me a mag catch spring. I’ll pm you if I can’t get the slide spring. Thank you

Another thing I did with mine was file down and refinish the right side of the safety because it was sometimes getting bumped on by the top of my right hand while firing. I have average size hands and I grip as high as possible on handguns.
B584E170-598D-4BCF-8B6D-6F0AE1082271.jpeg

A few years ago I had Milt Sparks make me a Summer Special II for it, as that’s my favorite holster for a full-size 1911. I also have one for the G19 but I rarely carry that. It took a few months to get the SSII for the 938, as they had never made that model for that gun (might be the only one to exist AFAIK)

20AE6F5B-6805-4575-8228-B66AFDABF434.jpeg

Nice looking holster. I use a Kusiak. I bought it because it was only $45.00 at the time. My thinking was that I would get a nice custom later on. I ended up liking it because it’s very comfortable and secure. I have never had a problem with the safety. I don’t use the extended magazines when I carry. Partly because I don’t trust them and they print more. Did you have you’re kerakoted?

9B8FD7AB-453B-465C-B2D4-F047ACD870AC.jpeg E6496D9D-8DF0-4FE6-A731-6F8CAA74B8C7.jpeg

Kusiak plus offset magazine side car, at 2 or 4 o’clock position it literally feels like part of my body

Attachments

• 02903140-E9BC-4C2D-A390-1C4AB0B9295A.jpeg
    02903140-E9BC-4C2D-A390-1C4AB0B9295A.jpeg
    176.3 KB · Views: 4
Kusiak plus offset magazine side car, at 2 or 4 o’clock position it literally feels like part of my body
Nice. They’re just so slim. I like his new ones with the stitching instead of the glued strip. I’ve never had a problem with it coming unglued though. I carry my spare mag in a DM Bullard mag holder in my pocket.

I just ordered the slide spring set today. I have yet to hear from them about the mag catch. Did you use the online form or email direct to them? I’m thinking of giving them a call.

I believe I just emailed them on the mag catch.
I just got off the phone with them. They wouldn’t send me out one. They wanted me to send it in. I told the rep it was my primary carry and he said when I get another gun let them know. Is this the lousy customer service everyone talks about?
I may end up sending it in at some point and see if they can’t fix the way it dents the shells on extraction.

I just ordered a spring kit earlier this morning after reading this thread. New springs after 500 rounds kind of sounds like Jiffy Lube telling you to change your full synthetic oil every 3,000 miles but what do I know. It's my EDC so $30.00 for peace of mind is worth it - especially these days with all the insanity going on out there...

I just got off the phone with them. They wouldn’t send me out one. They wanted me to send it in. I told the rep it was my primary carry and he said when I get another gun let them know. Is this the lousy customer service everyone talks about?
I may end up sending it in at some point and see if they can’t fix the way it dents the shells on extraction.

Wow that’s lame. Maybe they changed their policy since I got mine.

I just ordered a spring kit earlier this morning after reading this thread. New springs after 500 rounds kind of sounds like Jiffy Lube telling you to change your full synthetic oil every 3,000 miles but what do I know. It's my EDC so $30.00 for peace of mind is worth it - especially these days with all the insanity going on out there...
The recoil spring weakens pretty quickly in these guns. When I changed mine the difference was noticeable and I had probably less than 700 through it since new.

Wow. Only 500 rounds? That would be like 3-5 range trips if this were my EDC that I wanted to get reps with it. I feel like all parts should last at least 10x that round count. Am I being unrealistic? Just sounds crazy to me, and something that would make me think twice about EDC'ing it.

Back
Top Bottom