Simple Question on Factory Repairs/Replacements

Is it industry practice when an unwarranteed gun needs to be replaced by the factory because it is unrepairable that the gun owner be charged the difference between their perceived replacement value and the MSRP of the replacement?

Mfrs are free to charge whatever they like.

You/us are free to take our business elsewhere.

There are no hard and fast rules on this.

Glock and S&W will take care of you to the grave. Other companies . . . well!!

We had an old S&W revolver that was picked up at least 4th hand and used for training purposes. One day the cylinder started failing to index properly, and soon couldn't be fired more than once or twice before needing to be opened, closed and positioned manually. When we sent it to S&W for repair they told us that a part was broken and because of the age of the gun they were unable to locate any replacement parts. Within a week we received not only a brand new gun, but a check to cover our original shipping to Springfield. Of course, depending on the manufacturer and their current management YMMV.

Ken

Seems like there is a lot to be said for smith&wesson. Plus for many of us we can avoid the cost and hassle of shipping when they need to go back. I think the M&Ps just surpassed a couple of others on my want list.

I've had very good service from Ruger on both rifles and handguns. Several years ago I bought one of the first Redhawks in 45 Colt I am not a big fan of the Ruger rear sight so I decided to replace it with a Millet sight got the old sight off but couldn't get the new one on. Took it to a gunsmith and found out the hole for the screw to hold the sight was drilled way off center. I returned the pistol to Ruger for repair and ended up with a brand new pistol and a letter apologizing for the inconvenience.

My first rifle was a Ruger 10/22 I bought in the mid 1970's. Last year I called and asked about having it cheked out and they just ship it to us. They replaced everything that was worn and shipped it back to me in 10 days. No charge. I then ship them my Ruger Mini14 and they did the same thing.

Back
Top Bottom