Sizing rifle brass

How many of you full length size your rifle brass over simply neck sizing?
I have seen the negatives about using it in anything other than single shot, or bolt action rifles, but if you are using a bolt action rifle, it seems that the benefits are pretty good.
Brass lasts 10X longer
Most accurate reloads
None to very little case trimming ever
No case lube needed

Any thoughts?

Adam

Adam,

Yes, there are benefits to neck sizing. Of course, you will have to FL resize on occasion as the brass will eventually lengthen and become harder to chamber over time. Also, any once-fired brass fired in a different rifle than the one you intend to use it in will need to be FL resized. I use a Redding body die to resize the body and push back the shoulder when needed.

Don

Don,
Thanks for the reply. I would assume that FL resizing would also be necessary for new brass as well correct?

Thanks
Adam

Now what if it look as though the case mouth on the new brass isn't perfectly round? Should it be sized, or just loaded anyway?

Thanks
Adam

Adam_MA said:
Now what if it look as though the case mouth on the new brass isn't perfectly round? Should it be sized, or just loaded anyway?

Thanks
Adam

Adam - What you need to do is get a dial caliper and case length gauges, such as Stoney Point, so you can measure your fire-formed brass and set up your sizing die correctly.

New brass should be made to SAAMI specs and not need to be sized. If you notice a piece of new brass that doesn't look right you can run it through the sizer (if it's set up correctly) or trash it.

Always keep in mind that FL resizing will set the shoulder back but stretch the neck and must be checked for trim length.

Thanks Tony! I do have a caliper that I have been using while loading handgun, but I suppose I should get the case length gages.

Adam

When setting up regular FL sizing dies to neck size, I do the "old fashioned" way.

Clean the neck and shoulder really well with 0000 Steel Wool. Start with the sizer back well off. Lube the case lightly and size. Turn the die in and resize, adjusting until you just barely get faint marks on the shoulder.

For my target bolt gun, I use a Wilson Sizer (hand die). It sizes about 2/3 of the neck or so.

Adam_MA said:
Thanks Tony! I do have a caliper that I have been using while loading handgun, but I suppose I should get the case length gages.

Adam

Also get the bullet comparator for your calipers. This will allow you set your seating depth.

Back
Top Bottom