skeet

Go try it out first and get some tips from some veterans of skeet shooting.

You don't give us a clue what state or area you are in, but here's some info on some likely places to look.

- Westford Sportsmen's Club
- Sharon F&G
- Independent Sportsmen's Club - Foxboro

I'm sure that there are many others that other NES'rs can suggest too.

Now, I'm primarily a proponent of Trap ( the True Faith (tm) ), but since beginning shooters are often hazy about which is which, here goes:

First, before you spend any money, go see what the games are....they are different in both the way they're played, and, to a certain extent, mindset (Old joke - Trap shooters don't talk, Skeet shooters don't keep score!).

As mentioned above, you give no indication as to where you're located, but if you have a local club, that shoots either one, the other or both, contact the Trap or Skeet chairman and let them know you're interested.

If you don't have a shotgun, many places have generous members who'll share.

As for buying a gun, the most important consideration is fit: a great gun that's wrong will not serve you well or be pleasurable to shoot.

At the Marlboro gun show I saw what I thought the perfect gun for a beginning shooter - a Savage version of a Browning A5, with a Polychoke. Ugly, but versatile. It was priced at about $350. With this piece, you could go with an open choke for Skeet, and tighten it up for Trap. If you decide that Trap is your game, you can use a single-barrel, or a bolt action that are not much money at all. I'd also recommend a 12 ga for either as a starting out gun.

If you're local to Metrowest, Southborough Rod & Gun Club

www.srgclub.com

has both Trap and Skeet on Sundays, and plenty of folks willing to help out a new shooter.

One warning, though....these things can become addictive! [smile]

+1 for having a gun fit you. Another word of advice Skeet guns tend to be a little shorter than trap guns (26" to 30" as opposed to 30" to 34" in Trap) and you would prefer to have a flatter shooting gun in Skeet where the birds dont rise much if at all. In Trap the birds are still climbing when you should be shooting so you want a gun that shoots at least 70% high.

want to start shooting skeet.dont know anything about it,any thoughts on a skeet gun.I have about $600 to spend.thanks for the help

The best reply I can give you is .......

Don't buy anything yet!

Go check out a few clubs, look at what other guy's are shooting, try a bunch of guns, and figure out for yourself what is best for you.

TRY TRY TRY, go to clubs that have open to public shooting days, most will have guns and ammo for use. Fees may apply.
I used my Remington 870 express 28" modified choke field gun for a few years. My primary hunting gun also.
I fliped and flopped between trap,skeet, and 5 stand
skeet targets go from side to side at a short distance---targets are always the same presentation
TRAP- which I like better Targets are always going away from you and riseing with randon left right straight shots
5 stand or sporting- multiple targets both size direction speed- much like hunting birds and rabbits I also love the sporting clays, I have my browning gold now for primary hunting gun and use that for sporting clays
When I shoot skeet I use my 870 28" 12g which is a flat shooter.
Trap gun is a browning XT trap-
As you learn and try you may like one better than the other, primary thing KEEP YOUR EYES ON THE TARGET AND FOLOW THROUGH
Consider also if you plan to shoot competively skeet is a 4 gun match 12,20,16,410. Which you will need multiple guns, fitted barrels or chamber inserts.
So try all of the styles, there will be a million tips flying at you. EYES ON TARGET FOLLOW THROUGH with a solid gun mount will get you going to the addiction.....

If you live any where near Franklin County Orange Gun Club does trap on Tues nights and on Sundays morning at 9am. Many of the shooters there shoot for pure fun and are more than willing to help out.

. Many of the shooters there shoot for pure fun and are more than willing to help out.

The majority of the shooters that I've encountered at both my club, and others that I've visited, are shooting "for fun". The truly competitive ones generally dial it back ( attitude, not ability) when not in a "real" shoot, and understand that you gotta start somewhere. I've told my kids, and others just starting out that no one will bust your [email protected] you're good enough to "deserve" it![wink]

I've ran into more than a few snooty trap shooters at various clubs over the years. Not all are that bad but there are those who can ruin the game for a new shooter.

I've ran into more than a few snooty trap shooters at various clubs over the years. Not all are that bad but there are those who can ruin the game for a new shooter.

You're more than welcome at Southborough Rod & Gun Club - we're friendly! [grin]

We're also hosting the GOAL Cup Trap shoot in April, so if you're thinking about shooting in that, come on out and shoot a round or two.

You're more than welcome at Southborough Rod & Gun Club - we're friendly! [grin]

We're also hosting the GOAL Cup Trap shoot in April, so if you're thinking about shooting in that, come on out and shoot a round or two.

[laugh2] I will not be shooting in the GOAL Cup, last time my shotgun saw the light of day was 3 years ago.

Southborough is a haul for me but maybe I can convince my dad to come with me for a day. He hasnt shot in some time either.

Are there any clubs that do public skeet within a reasonable distance from Boston? I haven't shot skeet in so long... and I have a full case of AA #9 sitting around.

I don't know what side of Boston you are on, but if you are on the other side of the Charles River [wink], Westford probably also has skeet open ot the public . . . perhaps someone from that club might chime in to confirm/deny that it is open to the public?

Are there any clubs that do public skeet within a reasonable distance from Boston? I haven't shot skeet in so long... and I have a full case of AA #9 sitting around.

Hopkinton Sportmen's Does Skeet Tuesday evening starting at 600PM and Trap and Skeet Sunday 930AM to whenever everyone done - 7 1/2 or smaller and lead..
Bob

I don't know what side of Boston you are on, but if you are on the other side of the Charles River [wink], Westford probably also has skeet open ot the public . . . perhaps someone from that club might chime in to confirm/deny that it is open to the public?

Nope, no skeet at Westford. The only public skeet I know of around here is Haverhill. (Well, plus the public matches at Minuteman.)

The Danvers club also has a couple of skeet fields, but I don't think it's open to the public.

Back
Top Bottom