Running Trap & Skeet League: Looking for League Software or Spreadsheet Advice

For all of you who have ever been part of a shotgun league, I suspect you'd agree with me that a big part of keeping the participants interested is getting statistics and results out to the shooters in a timely manner. I am trying to start a Trap & Skeet League this Spring at my local Club.

I'm looking for a good way to track and report the results of each weekly League Shoot. If anyone has an excel spreadsheet that they use (and would be willing to share), or have used a commercial software that they recommend, please let me know.

Also, if you could speak to some of the aspects of a league that you've found to be especially enjoyable, please share. I appreciate the help!!

Is is a league within your club or between clubs?

If it's internal, and your club has a website, then the webmaster should have some suggestions

At my club we don't have a league per se, but we do have a good number of folks in the NRA Shotgun Qualification program. We did up a big grid, put the levels across the top and the names down the side....only problem was that if I waited to catch my breath, some folks thought I was taking too long to post the results! [laugh]

If it's internal and you're just keeping track of averages, post them where all can see. To encourage newbies, offer a prize for most improved (After 10 rounds, figure each person's average, then figure the difference at the end of the season, or something). It can be tough on a new shooter to see how far they have to go, but if they have an opportunity to get an attainable prize ( as opposed to going head-to head with AA shooters) you'll likely get more business.

Hope this helps!

This would be an internal League (I don't want to bite off more than I can chew initially). I do have some hope that we could get involved in a team format shotgun league with other surrounding clubs at some point. I think that would be really fun to get involved in. Do you know of anything like that around here?

What did you use to track the results? I am trying to develop a spreadsheet so that I can take home the paper scorecards from the day, update the spreadsheets, and print out the results to post at the Club, or even email the results to the members.

Thanks Mac,

I just installed this software and tried to play around with it... Have you used this software before? It seems really glitchy, wasn't even able to add club information or shooters without getting an error message. I appreciate the help though! I thought this might be perfect for what I was looking for. Still might be, if it worked properly haha.

I had no problems with it. It does take a little getting used to. I use it to track all my personal trap,sporting clays, skeet. I slso use it to track my ATA scores.

did you down load the DEMO or the shareware version? the demo is just that. The shareware is much better. I dont know its limits but I had 10 different "names" I also tracked some fellow shooters for a while.

I'll try to install it again. It kept giving me an error every time I tried to add something. It would say, can't add data to a closed database or something to that affect. Its a much older program, maybe there are compatibility issues with the new Windows OS? What are you running?

running....yeah I couldnt tell you. I have verizon and a 5 year old computer that I use about 1% of its capabilities.
Do you get the 3S shooting ports software screen?
should have file shooter scores reports top left

this is where you need to start. If you are only running the league for your club entering club data is not needed.

I spent stupid hours going through the HELP section

What is it your trying to do, what type of scores are you running the league on. We did 2 highest scores per week, which is a PITA I think. If you only have a few shooters a grid on a wall is plenty good enough. I ran this system by our club chairman a few years back for the full version which I believe is much like the golf handicap system......I need to check it out myself. I have no idea of cost.

Mostly I'm looking for an easy and convenien way to report scores and averages. I want people to take an interest in how they are shooting, trends etc... I think its important to get this information to shooters in a league shortly after they've shot to keep the interest level high. I've never run a league before so I'm not sure how this is done at most clubs. I expect somewhere between 20-40 shooters probably. I suppose I could track everything on a spreadsheet and just be able to do printouts. Wasn't sure what was available that other leagues had been using (if anything).

So after wrestling with some existing software that is out there for downloading, I decided that I would create my own method. I went with an excel spreadsheet and spent a lot of time formatting everything exactly the way I want it. The league structure is actually going to be based on a ladder system, where shooters are competing against one another for points. I decided to use this format with no handicap in order to give all shooters an equal chance to competitive. Its an interesting format and hopefully not overcomplicated to where people don’t understand how it works.
Essentially I have a Roster sheet which tracks league participants and gives a snapshot of the overall standings as well as tracks the financial information regarding the league. The other tabs in the workbook are Results Trackers for each weeks shoot.
It was not easy to program the formulas, but essentially all I have to do is enter scores, and the points are automatically calculated based on a series of “if/then” checks I put in. It’s a fairly complicated set of scoring rules, so translating it to a postulate in excel wasn’t easy for me. I’ll have to post some screen shots for you to fully appreciate it. Thanks for everyone’s suggestions, sometimes if you can’t find what you’re looking for, its best to build it yourself.

Sounds pretty simple to me:

IF shooter name = "Jordan" THEN, WIN

Perhaps you're over thinking this? [rofl]

Hahaha! Its funny you said that, when I was entering the "test" scores to see if they matched up with my control scores, I entered some of our names.... Jordan outshot both Scott Brown, and Chuck Norris hahahaha!

Its completed now, and really a gem of a spreadsheet. I hope this league thing goes off well with everyone and gets people more interested.

Back
Top Bottom