Which Gun to use for Trap/Skeet?

Hey guys, this is my first post here as I am new to the sport of trap/skeet. I have been shooting trap with a less than ideal 12gau SxS that I nick named the punisher because it does a number on my shoulder after a few rounds of 25. I am in the market for a new gun that fits me better and I am looking at the Benelli Super Sport 12gau Semi-Auto. My main question is what is the difference between 28" and 30" barrels? Also I would appreciate any info you can give me on this particular model shotgun. Thanks.

Benelli makes very nice semi autos. I don't shoot trap, so I cannot comment
on that, but the SBE would be Ok as a skeet gun, but not ideal. 30" barrels
on a semi receiver would make for a very long gun and swing. I would
get a 28" barrel of the two options. Honestly, for the same price you could buy
a nice O/U (Browning, Beretta) which would be a better fit for the games that
you have in mind, assuming that you don't also plan on using this for
hunting.

What type of SxS do you shoot? Skeet loads should not hurt with a well
fitting shotgun. Perhaps it is a matter of fit?

F

Hey guys, this is my first post here as I am new to the sport of trap/skeet. I have been shooting trap with a less than ideal 12gau SxS that I nick named the punisher because it does a number on my shoulder after a few rounds of 25. I am in the market for a new gun that fits me better and I am looking at the Benelli Super Sport 12gau Semi-Auto. My main question is what is the difference between 28" and 30" barrels? Also I would appreciate any info you can give me on this particular model shotgun. Thanks.

It is my dad's old Armas 12 gau hunting gun... I think a lot of has to do with fit.. The first day i shot the hell out of it i had bruises on the middle finger of my trigger hand. I figured out that because it is a double trigger, and I have smaller hands than my father, my middle finger would be up against the rear of the trigger gaurd on the first shot, so the recoil could kill my finger... I was also shooting some pretty heavy hunting loads that day also.

I haven't tried an SBE or the M2 series Benellis but the M1 I have shot recoiled more than my Beretta 391. It is soft shooting and has never had a malfunction. I think I have a 28" barrel. I'd say that at my shotgun club, for autos, that there are more 1100/1187s and Beretta 390/391s than there are Benellis. I have an 1187 too, and I like it a lot. I haven't tried a Browning Gold, but I hear they are nice.

I'd agree with the 1100 and 1187 as good choices. They are very popular
among the auto shooters (+ the Berettas) at my club. They can be found
in great condition at ridiculously low prices in many gun shops as people
want to "upgrade". If i was going to buy an auto today for these games
I would likely go that route.

F

I have to ask... whats your budget? The Remington 1100 is dollar for dollar one of, if not the, most versatile shotguns around. You can use it in the field and its also one of the most popular skeet and trap guns at my club. (Riverside in Hudson, MA) You can always tell an 1100 because they're the only shotgun I know that ejects a puny skeet load with authority.

If you're only shooting skeet and trap, I'd go with an over and under chambered for 3" shells. At my club, guys use Berettas and De Haans mostly. The De Haans are more reasonably priced.

Adam

Why a 3" chamber? ALL target loads are 2 3/4". 3" loads are useless unless you use steel shot for waterfowl.

The rules limit you to drams of powder and ounces of shot. Depending on the governing body you are shooting under, 3 inchers may be allowed. In essence, you could shoot 3.5 inch shells if they did not exceed powder and shot size maximums.

Adam

Which gun to use for Trap/Skeet? Depends on your budget
You want something decent so you're not out replacing some piece of junk you bought when you decide to get serious if those are games you'll be sticking with.
Over Unders are not all the same, stay away from the Stoegers and the Baikal's that are like $300, they're junk.
Don't bother with the Benelli if you want to shoot trap also, unless you've found somewhere to get a shell catcher for it. Many clubs require shell catchers on autos when on the trap field so you're not hitting the guy next to you with the empties as he's getting ready to shoot after you.

Guns to consider that can do both games very well-
Browning Citori line, the sporting clays models are great for both games, barrels long enough to reach out there on far trap targets. Good balanced, quality guns

Beretta 682 or 686
Great guns for skeet
single barrels available in different lengths for trap with various height ribs, they slap right on the receiver, giving you a gun that can do both easily, you can get over or under single barrels should you want that.

Autos-
Remington 1100
These are easy to find various barrels in different lengths and rib heights. Good prices on these guns, plenty of accessories, and shell catchers are easily available. Just keep it clean.

Beretta 391
More expensive than the 1100, not as many accessories out there for it, but nothing to be concerned about if you're just looking to shoot trap and skeet. More reliable than the 1100

If money is not a concern then look at the K80s, the Kolars and the Perazzis
If you get heavy into Skeet, you'll want a sub ga. tube set.

And what's the difference between 28 inch and 30 inch?
2 inches. Some find it harder to get a gun with 30 inch bbls reversed in direction quickly when they are shooting doubles.
It's a longer sight line, it has it's advantages, and may have disadvantages depending on the game you're playing
You don't need 30 inch on skeet or 16 yard trap. Choke is more important than length there.

You want a shotgun that when you bring it quickly up and into position your cheek is where it should be and when it is,the sights are aligned. You need to select the type of sight that BEST works for you and is quickly found. You want the length of barrel that will place the sights in line when you snap it to your cheek and you may need to work the comb of the stock in order to fit your cheek and give you proper facial placement.
I have a Remington 1100 and my Trap Scores are not as good as they are with the Winchester Model 12 which has a longer barrel and the stock has been shaped. Because of the Model 12's age, I don't use it much any more and have used by 1100 (Partridge & turkey gun) which is shorter and great for the woods. so I don't work it over for Trap.

In essence, you could shoot 3.5 inch shells if they did not exceed powder and shot size maximums.
While theoretically you are right, in practice no one makes or loads a 3" (let alone a 3.5") cartridge for target work.

It is not a coincidence that every single shotgun designed and marketed as a target gun has a 2.75" chamber.

It is not a coincidence that every single shotgun designed and marketed as a target gun has a 2.75" chamber.

Well, many Browning Citori's are made, and were made and marketed with 3 inch chambers so that owners could hunt with them also with 3 inch shells, if they didn't only want to shoot targets. The Browning Silver series are 3 or 3.5 inch.

The Beretta 391 is only available currently with a 3 inch chamber, and used by many world class NSSA shooters to shoot the 12 ga events, and wow, marketed as a target gun!
Here's Beretta's own site as a reference

http://www.berettausa.com/product/product_competition_guns_main.htm

So, take advice from someone who doesn't know what they are talking about, stating that "every single shotgun designed and marketed as a target gun has a 2.75" chamber"

Or, research for yourself and listen to people who actually know what they are talking about, shoot the products you're interested in, and who live in your own area in the country who you could call on to validate recommendations, and can verify what they are talking about by a simple phone call or drive to their club, or believe someone who just posts alot.

And if you choose the latter, I know this guy with money in Zimbabwe who has a few million he'd like to deposit in your bank account, and you can keep the interest if you give him your account number, and then when you're done, this AOL guy wants to test his email system, and if you forward this, he'll give you $2,500

Or, research for yourself and listen to people who actually know what they are talking about, shoot the products you're interested in, and who live in your own area in the country who you could call on to validate recommendations, and can verify what they are talking about by a simple phone call or drive to their club, or believe someone who just posts alot.

Exactly. I don't know if you are close to Hudson, MA, but we have public skeet shooting for $9.50 a round at my club Riverside, Tuesdays and Thursdays 7-9:30ish , and Sunday 9-1. People there will be more then happy to give you tips and let you watch, and as you get to be a familiar face, shoot some high dollar guns as well.

I'm there like clockwork every Tuesday night, and sometimes I go on Thursdays as well. Tuesday is classic skeet and we typically shoot 5-stand on Thursdays. Sunday is a mix of both with some wobble thrown in.

Just to reiterate my point, you won't go wrong with that 1100.

Adam

Thanks for all the responses guys. Since my first post here I've been looking at and shooting a few Beretta models. Specifically the Urika 391 trap and the teknys gold trap. Loved them both for the way they felt and they results I got with them. There is a 800 dollar price difference between them however. What am I getting for that 800 extra dollars for the Teknys trap? Is it just a dressed up version of the Urika 391?

Also, I live near Foxboro, MA but am willing to travel within reason to a place that will have the best price on a new shotgun. Any suggestions as to where I could go?

I have the Urika 391. I remember Tenkys as coming with upgraded cosmetics and a full set of extended chokes. For me, it wasn't worth it. I bought a Briley extended choke in Skeet, a fiber-optic bead, and a recoil reducer. Is there really an $800 difference? I thought it was less.

Thanks for all the responses guys. Since my first post here I've been looking at and shooting a few Beretta models. Specifically the Urika 391 trap and the teknys gold trap. Loved them both for the way they felt and they results I got with them. There is a 800 dollar price difference between them however. What am I getting for that 800 extra dollars for the Teknys trap? Is it just a dressed up version of the Urika 391?

Also, I live near Foxboro, MA but am willing to travel within reason to a place that will have the best price on a new shotgun. Any suggestions as to where I could go?

For a new shotgun, I would check www.berettausa.com and find an authorized dealer. I believe thats the only way you're going to get a new Beretta. You can find used ones at most shops.

You definitely won't go wrong with either of those guns! Don't rule out New Hampshire or Maine either, prices are usually better and no sales tax in NH!

Adam

Hey, come on over to Independent Sportsmens' club in Foxboro. We are
a very active skeet club, with cheap ($5/round I think for visitors)
public access on weekends (sun/sat 1-4). Let me know if you want more
info about the club or directions.

F

Back
Top Bottom