SKS questions and possible answers

I have the opportunity to acquire a 1954r Russian Tula SKS with a laminated stock. It has all matching numbers and comes with a box although the box is not serial numbered to the gun (cardboard box from the importer). It is an estate gun, and I cannot ask the owner anything about the gun because he is deceased. I think the gun may be unfired.

What should I look for, and how much would it be worth?

I appreciate any and all help. I am new to SKS's and am eager to learn.

The '54 Tula did not come with the laminated stock originally, so it is a refurb. The '54 is also the most common of all Russians. These are going between $300-400 depending on condition and level of refurbishment.

The black painted ones are not as desirable as the original blued guns. If you can get it for $300 or less, you can't go wrong either way. Let us know how it turns out.

The '54 Tula did not come with the laminated stock originally, so it is a refurb. The '54 is also the most common of all Russians. These are going between $300-400 depending on condition and level of refurbishment.

The black painted ones are not as desirable as the original blued guns. If you can get it for $300 or less, you can't go wrong either way. Let us know how it turns out.

I figured it was a refurb because the bolt is black, looks like paint to me.

It wouldn't be a cash deal, but a barter for something else I have that is not firearm related. The value of the trade would be a solid $500, so I think I will pass on it.

Thanks for your help!

At a $500 value, I would pass as well.

But as fun and reliable shooter, don't count out the SKS. If you get a chance to land one on the money, it will serve you well.

I really love my russian, it was my 1st larger than 22 cal semi. The stock has seem to get a little loose over the years. I have shot and shot and shot some more with this gun. I have never had any issues with the russian. I will never sell the Russian gun.

I think now that that little piece of copper paper(it was so thin and well formed to the firing pin cone of the channel) came out I see the Romy being as good.
When the warm weather comes I will do a side by side.

When I purchased my russian it only had a flimsy box no markings or numbers. Just something to carry it out of the store with. The bolt is not black and the rest is a deep blue. There's just something about the russian when I hold it. Total utilitarian rugard wood and metal bang bang!!!

I really like SKS's At one point I had about 15 of them......what I had is another story. Did not care they where cheap plinkers. Most where already bubba'd up
I sold most of the off to support another habbit-----motocross.
I always keep my eye open for SKS's I carry a bore light with me whwn I am on the hunt. Very few of the SKS's I have owned needed nothing more than a really really good cleaning. 98% of these guns are never cleaned well of the cosmo.

Last edited:
if you can find a Yugo SKS, go for it. They are great shooters and hunting guns.

Howdy,

I just picked up a Romanian SKS and after doing a a bit of reading about slam fires I was thinking of adding a spring loaded firing pin from Murray's and a Mojo peep sight. But for the life of me I can't understand if this would revoke its C & R status or violate 922R? I'm not interested in making it a pretend AK, just make it easier on my lousy eyes.

I've been lurking about, but figured it was time to get my feet wet.

Welcome MrMollusk,

That's an extremely good question, for which I will have to defer to L.E.Schwartz's legal reference found here.

What happens if I modify a C&R firearm?

ATF has stated repeatedly that in order for a surplus military firearm to retain C&R status, it must be complete and in its “original military configuration”.

If a C&R firearm were modified from its original configuration, it would no longer be classified as C&R. It would be unlawful for a licensed collector to receive or transfer such a firearm as a C&R if it no longer meets the definition. Further, the firearm may be in a configuration that is not importable under Title 18 USC § 925(d)(3). Thus any modifications must be in compliance with the provisions of Title 18 U.S.C. § 922(r) and § 922(v).

And here is a link to his complete legal review.

http://www.victorinc.com/SKS-FAQ.html#_Toc167103937

As I understand it:

If you modify it, you cannot legally transfer it as a C&R holder. It would need to be transferred through an FFL if you sold it in the altered configuration. However, I don't think 922(r) would apply if all you replaced were the firing pin and added a peep sight, because pins and sights are not on the list of foreign parts, as follows:

1. Receiver
2. Barrel
3. Bolt
4. Bolt carrier
5. Gas piston
6. Trigger housing
7. Trigger
8. Hammer
9. Sear
10. Disconnector (see below)
11. Stock
12. Handguard
13. Magazine body
14. Follower

However! I am not qualified to give legal advice! So, please investigate further if you are planning to transfer your firearm on a C&R, or keeping an altered firearm on your log book.

Howdy,

I just picked up a Romanian SKS and after doing a a bit of reading about slam fires I was thinking of adding a spring loaded firing pin from Murray's and a Mojo peep sight. But for the life of me I can't understand if this would revoke its C & R status or violate 922R? I'm not interested in making it a pretend AK, just make it easier on my lousy eyes.

I've been lurking about, but figured it was time to get my feet wet.

The modifications you describe should not affect the C&R status...

Q: What modifications can be made on C&R firearms without changing their C&R classification?

The definition for curio or relic (“C & R”) firearms found in 27 CFR § 478.11 does not specifically state that a firearm must be in its original condition to be classified as a C&R firearm. However, ATF Ruling 85-10, which discusses the importation of military C&R firearms, notes that they must be in original configuration and adds that a receiver is not a C&R item. Combining this ruling and the definition of C&R firearms, the Firearms Technology Branch (FTB) has concluded that a firearm must be in its original condition to be considered a C&R weapon.

It is also the opinion of FTB, however, that a minor change such as the addition of scope mounts, non-original sights, or sling swivels would not remove a firearm from its original condition. Moreover, we have determined that replacing particular firearms parts with new parts that are made to the original design would also be acceptable-for example, replacing a cracked M1 Grand stock with a new wooden stock of the same design, but replacing the original firearm stock with a plastic stock would change its classification as a C&R item.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/curios-relics.html#modifications

...If you modify it, you cannot legally transfer it as a C&R holder. It would need to be transferred through an FFL if you sold it in the altered configuration.

As I understand it, if it is modified to the extent that it is no longer considered a C&R, it must simply be "dispositioned" out of the bound book as "transfer to private collection". You're correct that, at that point, it can no longer be sold as a C&R, but a FFL is not required to effect a transfer, but rather, normal FTF rules would apply.

However, I don't think 922(r) would apply if all you replaced were the firing pin and added a peep sight, because pins and sights are not on the list of foreign parts...

I agree.

Thanks for the info!

I think I read that reference when I was looking around, but being new to this I was still a bit confused. I don't have my C & R FFL so everything went through a FFL.

Its a very fun gun so i doubt I will be transferring it. [smile]

With a number of SKS threads, i assume this is the proper one for questions. I saw a Chinese sks (1966 production year after using yooper john's web page as a reference) with a factory tack welded scope mount( had the factory symbol) .
Is this an uncommon gun, finding it with this scope mount? I assume the scope itself, that was still on it was after market, but it did not have any brand marks.

There seems to be a jump in prices at some of the stores for sks from what everyone is speaking of here. I saw a real nice non-refurb russian for 500 and at another store this chinese one with the scope mount, very clean shape, for 450. Both of these seem pricey?

Last edited:
With a number of SKS threads, i assume this is the proper one for questions. I saw a Chinese sks (1966 production year after using yooper john's web page as a reference) with a factory tack welded scope mount. Is this an uncommon gun, finding it with this scope mount? I assume the scope on it was after market, but it did not have any brand marks.
There seems to be a jump in prices at some of the stores for sks from what everyone is speaking of here. I saw a real nice non-refurb russian for 500 and at another store this chinese one with the scope mount, very clean shape, for 450. Both of these seem pricey?

Where exactly is the scope mount welded on the rifle? Some receiver cover mounts were done this way and came from China but they're all after market. Chinese importers often added accessories to SKS packages to make them more appealing to US buyers. For a while cheap Chinese scopes, mounts, bi-pods, magazines, and other SKS products flooded the US. Most likely the set up you saw is one that someone got from a distributor as a package deal and left it on the rifle. Nothing rare about it unless its one of the Navy Arms imports such as the Cowboy Companion or Farmer's Friend and those are easily distinguishable from the Chinese accessory import bundles.

As for prices, yes they're going up but deals are still out there. $500 for the Russian seems high but depending on the year and arsenal, it could be worth it. $450 for the Chinese on the other hand seems really high if its a standard SKS with a receiver cover mount.

So it must have been some sort of Chinese import addon. It was on the receiver cover mount and it had the stamp that looked lie the /26\ triangle on it, that is was through me for a loop. That and the painted tack welds that were sanded to blend down, thought they were odd with the 2 thumb screws already used to hold it on. I found it at Tombstone trading in Brookfield, MA

That is a less common type of receiver cover mount, and it was prepared in China, and likely at factory /26\. Mildly collectible, for the factory stamp only. It is still only as stable as other cover mounts. But whether it is interesting or not, it doesn't add $150 to $200 to the value. The gun is extremely overpriced at $450.

so, to sum up - in order of value or coast - Russians (400+/-), Yugos(350 +/-), then the Chinese(300 +/-). Most are refurbed, but original stock and blued metal is preferred (or more expensive) over the painted stuff with laminated stocks. Anything else basic to mention for someone looking to get into these fine rifles?

What are the main differences between the Russian, Yugo and Chinese models? Is one better built than the other? More reliable?

so, to sum up - in order of value or coast - Russians (400+/-), Yugos(350 +/-), then the Chinese(300 +/-). Most are refurbed, but original stock and blued metal is preferred (or more expensive) over the painted stuff with laminated stocks. Anything else basic to mention for someone looking to get into these fine rifles?

What are the main differences between the Russian, Yugo and Chinese models? Is one better built than the other? More reliable?

With some patience and diligence, you can sometimes find some of these at far better prices. But you are in the ballpark.

All of them are based on the Russian design, so aside from some gas system parts on the Yugo, most parts will interchange with only minor fitting. The Russians do usually have the best finish, but don't sell the Chinese short for function. Four of my best five shooters are Chicoms.

Good luck with your purchase. I think you'll like the SKS.

I recently picked up a project sks, missing the bolt, spring and rod, and gastube assembly. It has the full lug on the barrel, milled trigger group early bolt cover, and N on the sight assembly. No obvious stamps other than a 6 digit sn. Also stamped. with a #28, which could be the factory stamp. http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/1212/sksk.jpg Any help would be appreciated.

I recently picked up a project sks, missing the bolt, spring and rod, and gastube assembly. It has the full lug on the barrel, milled trigger group early bolt cover, and N on the sight assembly. No obvious stamps other than a 6 digit sn. Also stamped. with a #28, which could be the factory stamp. http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/1212/sksk.jpg Any help would be appreciated.

Sure is a homely looking thing! Any import marks?

The paratrooper spike doesn't belong, for sure. Nor does the sling swivel on the left forestock. We would need some clear pics of the left side of the receiver to hazard any guesses.

Sure is a homely looking thing! Any import marks?

The paratrooper spike doesn't belong, for sure. Nor does the sling swivel on the left forestock. We would need some clear pics of the left side of the receiver to hazard any guesses.
It has a 6 digit sn on the left side. 5 digits match on the bolt carrier and housing 55430. I suspect its early with the barrel lug.

It would be nice to see clear pics of the left side of the receiver, Lip. Also, is it import marked?

To my knowledge, there is no Factory 28.

Back
Top Bottom