SKS questions and possible answers

I'm going to guess that gun is not import marked?

This looks like a possible pre-Sino Soviet configuration. The "28" number on the receiver is likely under the wood line, and there will be a corresponding 28 fitment mark on the barrel shank.

Though there is no way to prove it, this one might have come back from SE Asia in the 1960's or 70's. You don't see the unscrubbed 'Serial Number Only' guns from importers. But with the bubba'd stock, missing parts and no papers, it's not a highly valuable piece.

This would make the paratrooper spike bayonet pretty irrelevant.

Is it import marked (third time asking!!! [grin] )?

It appears to be a close relative of my papered bringback, with the sanitized receiver, blade cut hardwood (not chu wood) stock, and bottom rear sling swivel configuration. If it is a non-import with those features, it is only 1,600 units away from mine.

sanitized_BB_028.jpg

sanitized_BB_001.jpg

It isn't about the money. She deserves the parts to fire again. Thanks you all very much for your time.

If its ok with you maybe martin can post the images on the SKS boards. Who knows, maybe we can even get some folks there with info on parts you can get to get this rifle right again.

Is it import marked (third time asking!!! [grin] )?

It appears to be a close relative of my papered bringback, with the sanitized receiver, blade cut hardwood (not chu wood) stock, and bottom rear sling swivel configuration. If it is a non-import with those features, it is only 1,600 units away from mine.

sanitized_BB_028.jpg

sanitized_BB_001.jpg
Nice looks like mine but complete.I see no import mark on it. Maybe a circle d on the barrel lug otherwise no other marks than the 28. Sorry.

Last edited:
Don't be sorry!

That is highly likely to be a Vietnam bringback. No importers ever brought these guns to the US. Still, without papers it would be a tough explanation...

To get it shooting again? About $25 for a bolt, $35 for a gas tube and piston, $15 for a main spring, $20 for operating rod and spring... plus shipping. About $100 plus or minus.

Don't be sorry!

That is highly likely to be a Vietnam bringback. No importers ever brought these guns to the US. Still, without papers it would be a tough explanation...

To get it shooting again? About $25 for a bolt, $35 for a gas tube and piston, $15 for a main spring, $20 for operating rod and spring... plus shipping. About $100 plus or minus.
I was just worried about what model it was. The closer I assumed the parts fit. I'm still a shade tree gunsmith LOL.

So I don't know if this belongs here, but the question is.. What dealers in Massachusetts are a good place to go get a deal on an SKS? I know most places have one or 2 hanging around,but is anyone dealing with good prices. Everyone i have visited seems a little over priced. Also, apply the same question to online dealers..Give up your secret shopping places!

Oh, Have you SKS guys seen these?
TIM66200RBLACKLAM.jpg

One of the very nice looking stocks available at http://www.timbersmithusa.com/

So I don't know if this belongs here, but the question is.. What dealers in Massachusetts are a good place to go get a deal on an SKS? I know most places have one or 2 hanging around,but is anyone dealing with good prices. Everyone i have visited seems a little over priced. Also, apply the same question to online dealers..Give up your secret shopping places!

Oh, Have you SKS guys seen these?
View attachment 20048

One of the very nice looking stocks available at http://www.timbersmithusa.com/

I've seen the Timbersmith stocks advertised but haven't read any reviews on them. There are probably a few reviews on the SKS boards, Martin08 may have some input on them.

As for shops in this area with good deals... good luck. Your best bet is finding a steal on Gunbroker and having it sent to a local 01FFL that has reasonable transfer prices. You can find a nice Chinese SKS in exc condition for under $300 on the auction sites, just make sure shipping is fair which is around $15- $20.

Thanks for the quick response, Ray! If I do pick up an SKS and decide to replace the stock, with new wood (not a big fan of the tactical plastics), how hard is it to do? Does the gas block top cover make it difficult? Where is the best place to get a good SKS manual?
So many questions..heh

Just to let you know where i am coming from, i think i may pick up a cheap SKS with decent metal and replacing the stock and adding the sights from http://www.tech-sights.com/
realgun2.jpg

A good place to start might be to do some surfing on this site:

http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php

Go to the particular section that you want (i.e. General SKS, Russian, Chinese, SKS Accessories, etc.) and type your search words inside quotation marks, for example, "tech sights". You should receive plenty of reviews.

I haven't tried the Timbersmith stocks, but all who have bought them are impressed thus far.

And if you are patient with Gunbroker, and you can find a decent FFL transfer agent, you can find good deals. This NIB Chinese went for $225.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=232292155

Even with the $40 shipping, you could have a decent gun home for around $300. And nine more sold for $225 or less on Gunbroker in the last 90 days. Use patience, you will find one!

Thanks for the quick response, Ray! If I do pick up an SKS and decide to replace the stock, with new wood (not a big fan of the tactical plastics), how hard is it to do? Does the gas block top cover make it difficult?

Replacing the handguard wood on an SKS isn't as easy as twisting an AK handguard in. You need to remove one of the retainers and reinstall. Its a pain in the ass but if you're patient and are decent with your hands it can be done successfully.

FWIW the rifle is fine all on its own the way it comes to you. There really isn't a need for fancy sights or stocks. Next to the AK47 its probably 2nd when it comes to military rifles still in use today in original configuration.

I know you are a purist,Ray, i respect that. I am not much into those full tactical modifications for the sks, however I really like those peep sights.
JGsales seem to have Yugos for sale around 269, with an extra 20 for hand select(whatever that means..lol..some shipping guy says 'this one looks ok').
Thanks for the info, Martin, i will look into those boards.

yugo 59/66

I just recieved a yugo 59/66 was described as

These rifles are C&R eligible and are in excellent plus + shape. The barrel is bright and appears unfired. The bolt is still filled with grease and the magazine follower does not appear to have been loaded. The stock on the one we pulled to test fire had one ding in it. Overall, they looks brand new and unfired.

You can find these for $100 cheaper, but they are nowhere near the condition of this lot of SKS rifles. They are Zasata stamped and are the finest SKS rifles ever made. Price does not include shipping.

On to the questions
My sample apears to be all all matching numbers unfired as described above. I do have some light rusting/tarnish on the bolt and rear sight. Nothing that wont clean up.
QUESTION:
1. There is secound dary electro pencil numbers on the triger group,bolt assembly,gas tube ? 5 digits any isear to what these are for.
2. My serial number has a prefix letter of O or 0 ? is this a date code. Its only on the reciever.
3. This may sound funny but I was not expecting it to be this nice.....I was looking for a shooter
4. Local marget SKS are running high. This gun is easy 400+ local to me.

it has the painted night sights, gas piston looks newer than new, few spots of light pitting here and there.

I just recieved a yugo 59/66 was described as

These rifles are C&R eligible and are in excellent plus + shape. The barrel is bright and appears unfired. The bolt is still filled with grease and the magazine follower does not appear to have been loaded. The stock on the one we pulled to test fire had one ding in it. Overall, they looks brand new and unfired.

You can find these for $100 cheaper, but they are nowhere near the condition of this lot of SKS rifles. They are Zasata stamped and are the finest SKS rifles ever made. Price does not include shipping.

On to the questions
My sample apears to be all all matching numbers unfired as described above. I do have some light rusting/tarnish on the bolt and rear sight. Nothing that wont clean up.
QUESTION:
1. There is secound dary electro pencil numbers on the triger group,bolt assembly,gas tube ? 5 digits any isear to what these are for.
2. My serial number has a prefix letter of O or 0 ? is this a date code. Its only on the reciever.
3. This may sound funny but I was not expecting it to be this nice.....I was looking for a shooter
4. Local marget SKS are running high. This gun is easy 400+ local to me.

it has the painted night sights, gas piston looks newer than new, few spots of light pitting here and there.

Rebuilt Yugos. If it looks like it was recently built, it may just have been.

As for the market... well lets just say those in MA w/out a C&R pay the MA fee.

Your receiver is dated as a 1978.

http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=81.0

Electropenciled numbers are common on Yugos that have been arsenal refurbished. Also, you may find stamped production/batch/lot numbers on the trigger group, magazine or dust cover that don't match the serial.

If the bolt and receiver match, then have fun with it! No need to worry about proper headspacing. It sounds like you have a very clean and crisp example.

so far every number matches and looks to be unfired ? theres not a hitch of wear anywhere. The chamber and bore had a bit of light rust. It seemed to clean up well. I cant make out any pitting. Patches run through very smoothly. From a few pitted bore rifles I have I can feel the snagging from the rough spots. I been cleaning the bore all morning. The more I clean the better it looks. Im going to shoot this so Im not to concerned
Almost every small part has the 5 digit electro pen code. Even the F-pin, gas tube, the exposed surface of the bolt and rear sight has a slight tarness to it.
I cant say I am un happy. I purchased a Romanian with cracked stock for 279.00? I like them all. When I finally get that "I Want one" sometimes price really doesnt matter.

martin I couldnt make out that chart its just very blurry on my screen ?

Some versions of Windows don't show the chart very well on the link that I provided. But trust me, the O-prefix is a 1978. Check a few more pages into the thread, and a more universally compatible chart is posted.

I have a Chinese trigger group that has a fair amount of negative engagement, feels gritty and has lots of creep. Are there any shops or experts in eastern mass that do a good thorough trigger job? I know that Kivaari on sks boards is generally recommended but I'd rather not send my TG in the mail and then wait weeks or months for the turnaround if I can help it.

Thanks!

Good question, OldNorth. And I will have to defer to the knowledgeable Mass residents to point you to a qualified shop, if one exists.

I can say that through much feedback over the years, many general gunsmiths will have little experience in performing the proper sear profile shaping for positive engagement. I've tossed out at least a handful of sears on which someone had attempted to make alterations, and actually made them lighter in pull, but more dangerous for accidental discharge from "bumping" the gun.

In other words, the sear shaping is an art, and may better be left up to the people who understand the dynamics and do it on a regular basis. I'm not recommending Kivaari, though I know that he will do the job correctly. But I am recommending that you have it done by someone who has done this before with success in all the areas of creep, engagement, and most importantly - safety.

I have a Chinese trigger group that has a fair amount of negative engagement, feels gritty and has lots of creep. Are there any shops or experts in eastern mass that do a good thorough trigger job? I know that Kivaari on sks boards is generally recommended but I'd rather not send my TG in the mail and then wait weeks or months for the turnaround if I can help it.

Thanks!

I don't know of anyone around here that could do it. If it were me I'd send it out. I don't think its that long of a wait from Kivaari

Hello everyone,

I just bought an Yugo SKS and I want to put some oil on the stock. It is looking a little dry and needs a tad bit of TLC. Do you suggest Tung oil? Or lacquer thinner? And how do I apply it to the stock?

I appreciate the info, I am new to the Russian rifle world!

Does the stock leak cosmolene when you shoot it? If so warm it up with a hair dryer until its glossy and wipe it with a dry rag or some newspaper. Then scrub it down with some mineral spirits, let it air dry overnight, then apply some Boiled
Linseed Oil.

If there's no cosmolene seeping out when its warmed up, just head straight to the mineral spirits and oil.

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk 2

I have a sks russian for many years know very little about them one of the things it says swan vt. also cccp27088 no stamped steel except 2 small levers, it has a folding bayonet,the bolt is bright metal the rest of gun is blued i think ser# to1183 is stamped on stock and bolt and frame,has 4 triangles around the screw that looks like it holds the wood to frame has a star on frame some others but can't tell what they are, guns in mint condition no rust or corrosion, wood is very red looking , trying to figure out how to do pixs how old is this?

Need pics to really help you out but Is there not a year stamped on the dust cover below an arsenal mark?

From your description it sounds like a late mid 50's Tula letter gun. Pretty rare.

It would be helpful to have pics. Should be diamonds (not triangles) around the front crossbolt.

If you can't get pics, can you tell us what the stamped cartouche on the left side buttstock looks like? Also, is there a year stamped on the top receiver cover, or a star stamped on the left side of the receiver? All numbers matching?

The "Swan Vt" and the "CCCP" are added by the importer. Most likely from Century Arms.

Regardless, it sounds like you are in a high likelihood to have a non-refurbished gun in your possession - a very good thing, BTW. Leaving the condition just as it is at present will preserve the value. Refinishing a non-refurbished gun will diminish the value by hundreds of dollars.

Hope that helps!

on the back of rec. is to1183, there is a star on left side of reciever ,on right side of stock is a circle size of a dime with what looks like a T with a oblong O through the bottom of the T no dates on it anywhere, also a small diamond on the stock right side, the gun will take a AK47 mag but it came with what looks like maybe original mag carrier set up, back of stock has a spring loaded button that a cyclinder pops out and a cleaning kit pops out?

Back
Top Bottom