Small Group

Any reason CB radios wouldn't work? Not sure it would be worth the time and money to invest in a HAM setup.
As far as I know, there aren't CB's that can run AES256 encryption. If clear text or voice doesnt fits in to a comms plan, then cb's might be fine for <5 miles in typical new england terrain. There are far better options if you truly want to communicate near and far when shit goes sideways.

Any reason CB radios wouldn't work? Not sure it would be worth the time and money to invest in a HAM setup.

CB frequencies use line-of-sight propagation. With an antenna on your roof CBs can go dozens or hundreds of miles in the flat lands, but in hilly terrain a CB is generally good for only a few miles. You'd need to try it between the houses. The handheld radios in the 2meter and shorter bands requirea ham license (Baofeng HTs for instance) and aren't much better without a high antenna or using a repeater someone installed on a high location. With a simple long wire antenna, shortwave frequencies can be reliable over a radius of a few hundred miles (NVIS), but that requires a ham license and more expensive equipment.

I’ve mentioned this in other threads but in order for my neighbors and my family to get through the first phase I’d have to arm them.
Not necessarily. Or at least, not all of them....
My wife and son can shoot, and one of my daughters. That puts four on the trigger.
You can make an improvised anti personnel device with a 12 ga shell, a 6 penny nail, piece of 2x4 and a roll of duct tape. It's enough to blow a toe off and a kid over 9 could turn out dozens in an hour.
Inverted 2 liter bottles with a simple cork, filled with gasoline can be easily dumped from a hundred yards or so with just fishing line, and the gas ignited from distance with a bow.
A couple of my neighbors hunt and a couple are useless. But even the useless ones can dig a hole. A 2' hole with something nasty at the bottom can ruin your day.

Back
Top Bottom