• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Smith & Wesson 1911 Pro Series 9mm Feedback

iofneedle

NES Member
So I found myself at Four Seasons today to look at the Beretta Vertec. I almost plunk down the cash. But I could not help but think about the several 9mm SW 1911's on NES. I only have enough cash for one atm. Squib gave a nice review of the Vertec. I am wondering what folks think of the SW Pro Series 9mm 1911. Just an FYI...we are a two caliber family----.22 for the kids and 9mm for the Mrs and me.

As always I appreciate your advice and feedback.

Well S&W makes a fine 1911, no doubt about it but J.M. Browning designed it for the .45 ACP. 9mm 1911's have been around since St a Peter was Mess Check at the Last Supper with varying degrees of success. All the big custom makers will tell you that a 1911 chambered for 9mm will function perfectly in today's modern designed guns, still the 1911 was designed for the .45 and the Vertec for the 9mm and there is a school of thought, an old school perhaps that guns work and perform best when they are chambered in the platforms they were originally designed for.

The Beretta is nowhere near the gun the Pro Series 1911 is. The Beretta trigger will never, ever be anywhere near as good as any 1911, and the Beretta will always have a slide mounted safety. I prefer 9mm 1911 on terms of recoil as well. Any newer S&W 9mm 1911 should be just fine interested of reliabilty.

A down side to any S&W 1911 is proprietary sights and extractors. They don't use standard 1911 parts for either

The Beretta does have preban mags, which is a plus. It is also nowhere near as expensive, and should be a very reliable pistol

Well S&W makes a fine 1911, no doubt about it but J.M. Browning designed it for the .45 ACP. 9mm 1911's have been around since St a Peter was Mess Check at the Last Supper with varying degrees of success. All the big custom makers will tell you that a 1911 chambered for 9mm will function perfectly in today's modern designed guns, still the 1911 was designed for the .45 and the Vertec for the 9mm and there is a school of thought, an old school perhaps that guns work and perform best when they are chambered in the platforms they were originally designed for.

I could be wrong, but i believe J.M. Browning original design was intended to use the .38 super type cartridge

45 and 38 super both are the same overall length, so it was a natural progression from one to the other. 9mm 1911 will run great with the correct mags.

A stock 9mm 1911 is slightly more likely to get you killed in the street. The Beretta will run any ammo reliably out of the box. But you probably will have to play with mags, OAL, barrel throating on the 1911 before it runs well. Having said that, don't buy a Beretta.

I could be wrong, but i believe J.M. Browning original design was intended to use the .38 super type cartridge

Not exactly the original Browning Model of 1900 was chambered for the .38 ACP.

The Army had determined that it wanted a .45 as a result of the Thompson LaGarde tests and 1904 is generally given the birthdate of the .45 ACP cartridge. After several iterations and tests the 1911 was adopted and the rest is history.

The .38 Super was not developed and marketed until 1929 and until the development of the .357 Magnum was the most powerful handgun cartridge generally available. It should never be fired in guns chambered for .38 ACP.

Browning designed the 1911 around the .45 ACP. His original concept of a locked breeched semi auto with locking lugs was the model of 1900 but they were two separate pistols.

A stock 9mm 1911 is slightly more likely to get you killed in the street.
orly.jpg

It was kind of tongue in cheek, but cool meme. Is it new? I see a lot of new 9mm 1911s puke in matches. A jacked up extractor was the most recent example on a brand new Trojan. Berettas don't have this problem, but no one shoots them anyways.

I had one for a while, it is an amazing gun. A full-size stainless steel 1911 is a bit heavy for the modest 9mm round IMO.

Chris

I own one. It is great I have not had a single FTF or any kind of jam. I recall they are pretty pricey though much more than even the Vertec. I totally agree with one of the other posters , that you will never get the Beretta trigger to break like the 1911 trigger. The Vertec is a cool take on the 92 but it is still a double stack so the grip will be inherently thicker. It is all personal preference, but don't buy the 9mm 1911 because you want a 1911. There are far less expensive 1911's in 45ACP, and you could buy a ton of 45 with the price delta. There is just something about it that does not feel like a 1911 but it is a fine gun?

Love mine. 1000ish rounds through it with 0 issues so far. Mostly fed a diet of 115 or 147gr from freedom munitions.

You're more than welcome to shoot it if you wanted to take a long drive...

Wow! I went to the LGS to see the SW 1911 Pro in 9mm tonight after work. I have to give it an OMG...what a beautiful firearm. Felt so good in my hand, I hardly noticed the weight. Now I understand 1911 love. What is a poor boy gonna do?

Mine has the adjustable sights as shown in the above pdf. A bit more than without but I prefer them. They do sell for close to MSRP.

There are some subtle differences between the 45 and 9 such as the larger extractor and a slightly contoured slide on the 9. The mags that came with mine are Wilsons which work great but I also got some Tripps. Zero issues with it. A very well made firearm is about alls I can say. Surprised they don't offer a round butt version like the E-series though.

How much are you looking to spend? I live in Hopkinton and have a souped up pair of almost new guns - S&W 1911 Pro 9mm. I haven't shot more than a couple hundred rounds thru either. Upgraded sights, upgraded and oversized mag release, Dawson Ice magwell, upgraded sear and disconnect (all Wilson). Now that they are available in Mass, prices have come down. PM me if you like

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
I have a pro series in 9mm. Have had it for a few years. I love it. Just ordered a set of fiber optics for it. It takes whatever ammo I feed it.

its a unique great 1911 to learn on

i noticed that there were made in maine until recently...newest ones i have seen are now springfield!

Last edited:
I have a pro series in 9 mm and up to this point no problems. I use the stock,Tripp and Checkmate mag with mine and they work like greased lightning. I load a variety of cast bullet types and all have fed without a hitch.

If i am plunking the cash for a S&W 1911, why not get a full size .45 model?

my S&W 1911TA is one of the finest series 70 guns on the market. It is the most accurate handgun i own and i almost never miss an opportunity to fondle it.

i am a sig fanboy and still there is no denying the quality of the new S&W 1911's....especially since theyre staying true to the series 70 design.

If i am plunking the cash for a S&W 1911, why not get a full size .45 model?

my S&W 1911TA is one of the finest series 70 guns on the market. It is the most accurate handgun i own and i almost never miss an opportunity to fondle it.

i am a sig fanboy and still there is no denying the quality of the new S&W 1911's....especially since theyre staying true to the series 70 design.

Pro Series 9mm is a series 80 style BTW

Yes with the Swartz style safety. It's actually not bad compared with the Colt series 80 style but I take it out for my range guns. A quick swab while cleaning but even that hardly picks up anything. I have never had any gunk in the FP channel,either.

Back
Top Bottom