Sniper Rifle

I bought it maybe a year and a half ago...Paid $700 IIRC. The scope (with my C&R "Dealer" discount) through MidwayUSA was ~$960, and it sits on a Leupold Mark IV base ~$100 with Leupold Mark IV rings ~$120. Added a Harris Bipod ~$75 and also had the Badger Ordinance tactical bolt knob ~$35 added.

Nice rifle, Dave.
Follow dreppucci007's blueprint and you can't go wrong. Of course, it is a $2000 investment, but it is a $2000 investment your grandchildren will be able to enjoy. Also, where are you planning to shoot at 1000 yards?

Last edited:
Well, even though it seems you've made up your mind with a Savage, I LOVE my Remington LTR in .308.

As others mentioned, I spent more on the scope than the rifle, and went with a Leupold Mark IV 4.5-14x50 with Illuminated Mil Dot reticle.

It's a tack driver!

LTR-2.jpg

That is a sweet set up, is that bolt handle stock? I have been going back and forth with the remy and savage but I have heard the savage is a better shooter out of the box. I have yet to shoot either so it's hard to make a decision.

Care & Feeding

there are two schools of thought.

1) Mauser (Remington 700) Style non controlled cartridge feeding

2) Winchester Controlled cartridge feeding.

Both have their advocates. I personally like the winchester however there is a lot to be said for topping off the magizine on the fly.

any opinions?[thinking]

WordBullets.gif

That is a sweet set up, is that bolt handle stock?

Thank you [wink]

No, I bought the Badger Ordnance Tactical Bolt Knob and had it put on. You can ship your bolt and the knob out to Badger and for a small fee (~$50 or so I think), they'll do all the work and ship it back to you shortly.

G21forme said:
I have been going back and forth with the remy and savage but I have heard the savage is a better shooter out of the box. I have yet to shoot either so it's hard to make a decision.

I can't personally speak for the Savage, but I love my Remmy.

there are two schools of thought.

1) Mauser (Remington 700) Style non controlled cartridge feeding

2) Winchester Controlled cartridge feeding.

Both have their advocates. I personally like the winchester however there is a lot to be said for topping off the magizine on the fly.

any opinions?[thinking]

Mauser style rifles are the original controlled feeding bolt actions. The Winchester Model 70 is a minor improvement over the Mauser 98.

The Remington 700's extraction and ejection systems are completely different from Mauser's.

I have rifles based on both systems. The controlled feed rifles I have (CZ and Winchester) do not care if you feed from the magazine or directly into the chamber.

For a hobby rifle, either is fine. While the Army and Marines disagree, I want controlled round feeding on any bolt action upon which my life depends. Like something used to hunt dangerous game.

Back
Top Bottom