Rat problem - where to buy air rifle (0.177" - not airsoft)

Get at least 4 Farrel cats let them loose
They will kill every rat untill they will stop coming. Eventually the rats wont be around any longer they will learn to stay away. If the cats stress the rats enough they will eat there young and move on.
Rats sound like Liberals. They eat their own and leave.

Get at least 4 Farrel cats let them loose
They will kill every rat untill they will stop coming. Eventually the rats wont be around any longer they will learn to stay away. If the cats stress the rats enough they will eat there young and move on.
Fast forward a couple months. New Thread "Cat problem - where to buy air rifle"

Had a rat problem that stemmed from my chicken coop. Secured the coop way better then set up at night with my thermal scope mounted on a pellet gun. Was the most fun I ever had hunting. Probably got 20 in the first couple nights. The thermal scope could easily spot them from 30 yards away and I could watch their patterns and behaviors. They never hung out in the open. They would peak out then just run to their next cover then watch out for a little then beeline to their next hiding spot. It was interesting and fun as hell to pick them off.

Shooting them can be a lot of fun but you won't eradicate them that way - they will learn to use other paths and movement patterns.
You need to get the neighbor to fix the food and housing issues and the problem will solve itself
You need to become the rat.

Stock its movement and pounce when they least expect it.

And strike hard... 5 claymores and an mg nest should do it

Probably a stupid question - I have a rat problem from a nest at a nearby neighbor who refuses to do anything and the rats are getting super brazen.
Poison/bait etc not working.

Any recommendations where I can pickup a air rifle (0.177 caliber or higher - so not airsoft).

K
New England airgun in Hudson very knowledgeable and competitive pricing

View: https://youtu.be/N9u-s9Isssg?feature=shared
My late father was a pest control technician/owner. He worked the central artery, big dig and most of the big restaurants in greater Boston. I live the pest free life through the use of 8 bait stations with bait blocks and bags plus tracking powder. I don’t care what I kill. YMMV. Sorry

Last edited:
We had a raccoon wander across the countertop on our deck last night.

Anyone have a spare IED???

Actually, can't blame the little fella. The smell of smoked pork butt makes me drool uncontrollably.

1717545002689.jpeg

Gamo Whisper . 22 , Crossman hollow points, and a ATN nv optic. No rats , no rabbits , no noise all achieved after dark !

Serious? No noise? Several years ago I did my research, bought the "quietest" .22 airgun on the market (Stoeger with some kind of double silencer action), and touched off one round. Sumbich sounded like a .22 LR. Never shot it again. Still not sure how anal my neighbors are, and there are other ways to eliminate groundhogs.

Is there really a quiet .22 airgun?

On the other hand, I was blasting away with an air-powered staple gun over the weekend. Maybe I can use that to inoculate the neighbors against obnoxious, surprise noises.

Interesting. What size groups will that do at 100 yds, assuming shooting from a rest with a decent scope?

I have a bugbuster scope, if the wind is good will do 3" groups at 100 seated with no sling. I'm sure I can tighten that up too with more practice. Easily minute of squirrel skull at 50 yards. You need to use a light hold and let the rifle recoil in your hands. If you hold it tight it doesn't pattern well.

Last edited:
Serious? No noise? Several years ago I did my research, bought the "quietest" .22 airgun on the market (Stoeger with some kind of double silencer action), and touched off one round. Sumbich sounded like a .22 LR. Never shot it again. Still not sure how anal my neighbors are, and there are other ways to eliminate groundhogs.

On the other hand, I was blasting away with an air-powered staple gun over the weekend. Maybe I can use that to inoculate the neighbors against obnoxious, surprise noises.

Mine shoots at 1200fps with alloy pellets and 1000fps with lead. If you break the sound barrier it's gonna be loud. With the slower pellets its sounds like suppressed .22. Not really movie quiet, but sounds like a door slamming or if you dropped a box of books.

Mine shoots at 1200fps with alloy pellets and 1000fps with lead. If you break the sound barrier it's gonna be loud. With the slower pellets its sounds like suppressed .22. Not really movie quiet, but sounds like a door slamming or if you dropped a box of books.
Looks like the pellet I fired was 14.5 grains. Y'think a 25 grain pellet would move slow enough to be quieter?

Looks like the pellet I fired was 14.5 grains. Y'think a 25 grain pellet would move slow enough to be quieter?

Yeah. A lot quieter. The supersonic pellets IMO are trash unless youre talking about trying to get that energy out to a really short range, they go subsonic really fast and get all screwy.

My Gamo shoots . 22 cal heavy hunting pellets at about 775 fps so its technically subsonic. "Quiet" is a subjective term but i compare my Gamo to 22 rimfire subs suppressed. No "crack" type sound. Its more of a very dull low toned pop. Theres a lot of fps "numbers games" with mfg claims to velocities. I crono'd my pellets.

While it’s good fun shooting rats, the less fun and more effective option is to get a cat. If you can find an unfixed male cat, he will piss out his territory and kill any rats that defy it.
Make sure it remains a out door cat, build it a cat house. Lol

My friend “rescued” a farm cat. Farm was closing near by and he figured a “farm cat” would rid his yard of mice/vole/chipmunks

One night the wife let the cat in the house and fed it. He no has to physically toss the cat outside. Wife lets cat in and repeat.
Hes no longer the super predator he Once was.

Flip side , my other friend has a terrier mutt that destroys anything smaller than him

My Gamo shoots . 22 cal heavy hunting pellets at about 775 fps so its technically subsonic. "Quiet" is a subjective term but i compare my Gamo to 22 rimfire subs suppressed. No "crack" type sound. Its more of a very dull low toned pop. Theres a lot of fps "numbers games" with mfg claims to velocities. I crono'd my pellets.
Absolutely and 99% of all velocity claims are done with the super light alloy pellets. The problem with all small pests is small vital zone. You can hit them in certain parts and all you have is a wounded pest.

22 cal with heavy pellets : There is another warning some springers and gas guns dont like heavy pellets.

The rats are a problem because of food and lodging …..the queen rat stays inside pumping out replacements.

My standby pest control is a old school crosman 1400 pump 22cal from late 60s
With a few mods it launches a 18 grain pellet 650 fps. Almost anything inside 20 yards is in trouble.
For a bit longer range I have a PCP 22 cal gen 1 discovery ——so many nice pellet guns out now.
Anyhow 50 yards will put down a small rabit/big squirrel

The pcp I use 13-14.5 grain pellets at 800 fps its the best combo of accuracy /velocity and energy I came up with.

Do not be fooled by velocity with air rifles. Its a balance of power and accuracy.

Absolutely and 99% of all velocity claims are done with the super light alloy pellets. The problem with all small pests is small vital zone. You can hit them in certain parts and all you have is a wounded pest.

22 cal with heavy pellets : There is another warning some springers and gas guns dont like heavy pellets.

The rats are a problem because of food and lodging …..the queen rat stays inside pumping out replacements.

My standby pest control is a old school crosman 1400 pump 22cal from late 60s
With a few mods it launches a 18 grain pellet 650 fps. Almost anything inside 20 yards is in trouble.
For a bit longer range I have a PCP 22 cal gen 1 discovery ——so many nice pellet guns out now.
Anyhow 50 yards will put down a small rabit/big squirrel

The pcp I use 13-14.5 grain pellets at 800 fps its the best combo of accuracy /velocity and energy I came up with.

Do not be fooled by velocity with air rifles. Its a balance of power and accuracy.

Honestly im not even sure my observed 775 fps velocity is true. I had a really hard time getting reads with my Alpha Shooting Crony. Gamo claims "1100" fps with alloy pellets and thats BS .

We went the C02 route , then break barrel, and finally did a 22 bolt action with CCI quiet rounds.
The was fantastic fun… the neighbors had no idea what we were doing and we could easily shoot out of the bathroom window.
Only issue comes in the form of any firearms discharge “laws” that may be in place
Air guns are not firearms in most places.

Back
Top Bottom