Snowmobile carry

So a "friend" is going snowmobiling in ME soon. No ME carry permit or compatible permit. Is carrying a handgun in the sled storage bin considered "concealed" and subject to needing a carry license?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would air on the side of caution with that one.
Will it be loaded? I ride when ever the snow allows and the thought of a loaded firearm bouncing around in the back of the sled would bother me. I keep it on my body holstered.
Yes I do have CCW permit.

So a "friend" is going snowmobiling in ME soon. No ME carry permit or compatible permit. Is carrying a handgun in the sled storage bin considered "concealed" and subject to needing a carry license?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In Maine you need a CCW if the firearm is covered in anyway at all. No laws against open carry. Personally I wouldn't even bother, a snowmobile will scare or outrun a bear and that is really the only minute threat.

In Maine you need a CCW if the firearm is covered in anyway at all. No laws against open carry. Personally I wouldn't even bother, a snowmobile will scare or outrun a bear and that is really the only minute threat.

And you aren't going to see any of those this time of year. It is really the 2 legged animals you need to worry about. Just open carry it and you are good to go.

The gun laws here in ME are very short and to the point. I have referenced them many times before so please do a quick search and find one of my other posts to find the link for the actual laws.

Essentially what you are suggesting would be a violation of law if the gun was concealed and accessable. The way the law is written is that with out a CCW, you cannot have a gun concealed on or about your person. There is almost no case law to define "about your person" but generally speaking it is taken to mean that if you can reach it then it is about your person. Now if it is on the seat next to you and not concealed then you are fine.

SO, in a car with the gun in the glove compartment you are violating the law. In an unlocked case in the back seat out of your reach you are not. On a snow mobile and in a compartment, which I am assuming any would be in reach, would be against the LAW. In that case, in the compartment? Who knows? Better to just open carry.

There is also a law against having a loaded gun in a motor vehicle with out a CCW. I would assume a Snowmobile would be a MV since they can bust you for DUI. But you might want to check into that.

My opinion is worth what you paid for it. I strongly suggest you research the laws themselves before making any decisions.

What you are describing is illegal it is considered cc. It's not that difficult and not expensive but will save you a trip to jail and Loss of any license moving forward

Getting a Maine CCW is easy enough to do and will save the hastle.

As for storing it in the storage bin how about just removing anything from the pipe and pull the mag?

I have my MA ALP and I picked up a ME and NH one. I would get a RI if I had a chance of getting on issued without restrictions. Having the permit removes a lot of the worries as to did I just go over the border etc. I am thinking of getting a FL and UT one to cover most of my bases.

Back
Top Bottom