So I get to take a trip to Lawrence...

For a school project on the MVRTA, we have to go there to hand out surveys and what not. Or something like that they still havent decided.

Anyway I've heard some not so nice things about Lawrence so I'm guessing it would be a good idea to carry. Am I wrong?

There is no more or less reason to carry in Lawrence than in any other city or town.

As Raoul said, it's part of the world in general and whatever caution you display elsewhere should be exercised there as well. Just don't go in predisposed to see trouble around every corner.

I have been frequenting Lawrence for the past 18 years and, though perhaps my comfort with the city is due to my familiarity with it (or certain parts of it), nonetheless I have never found it threatening.

Lynn, on the other hand...

Yeah, I worked in Lawrence around 8 years ago. There were cars stolen from our parking lot pretty much each day, until the building management hired two full-time guards to stand in the parking lot all day long!

There are some areas of Lawrence I would not go into without a gun. Then there are some areas I go into routinely and feel perfectly safe (Sal's restaraunt, Jackson lumber, Yokohama Japanese steakhouse, etc). Stay to the main sections, stay south of the lawrence river, and you are safe. Go 10 blocks northeast of the lawrence river and it starts getting dicey.

Lawrence
Lynn
Lowell
Holyoke
Springfield
Brockton
Fall River
New Bedford
and Boston = Carry two magazine and a hot spare cities.

If you have an ALP, IMO you should carry ALL the time, or you shouldn't carry at all.

And FWIW I've yet to be anywhere in Mass that made me really nervous. Take a walk in Inglewood CA on a Sat night and you'll see my point.

Chelsea? [laugh]

Go to any "real" ghetto like Oakland, CA or San Antonio TX & you'll realize that all we have in MA are a bunch of little punks trying to get street cred.

-they are more dangerous IMO as they are trying to prove themselves.

I hate punk-asses with a passion. I wish it were legal to execute them sometimes.

There are some areas of Lawrence I would not go into without a gun. Then there are some areas I go into routinely and feel perfectly safe (Sal's restaraunt, Jackson lumber, Yokohama Japanese steakhouse, etc). Stay to the main sections, stay south of the lawrence river, and you are safe. Go 10 blocks northeast of the lawrence river and it starts getting dicey.

Geez. Go 13 blocks northeast of the lawrence river and you're at MY house... go figure.

For a school project on the MVRTA, we have to go there to hand out surveys and what not. Or something like that they still havent decided.

Anyway I've heard some not so nice things about Lawrence so I'm guessing it would be a good idea to carry. Am I wrong?

The Lawrence CLEO is on the 10 o'clock news every night.

So yes, I'd carry.

Geez. Go 13 blocks northeast of the lawrence river and you're at MY house... go figure.

Yeah, I do not know exactly where the bad sections start. I did find myself in there once by accident--reminded me of driving thru tough sections of the bronx.

Please let us know the streets that boarder where the bad sections. As I recall they are north of a line between, and around midway between the hospital and the courthouse. Somewhere up there.

here are where the heroin busts were made in the last few months in Lawrence. Could be a good indicator of what areas you should be carrying in.

andover st
blanchard st
essex st
Bedford st
farley st
acton st
crescent st

here are where the heroin busts were made in the last few months in Lawrence. Could be a good indicator of what areas you should be carrying in.

andover st
blanchard st
essex st
Bedford st
farley st
acton st
crescent st

It sure is a good thing nothing bad ever happens in "good" neighborhoods. [rolleyes]

Just carry everywhere.

are there any states with more lax rules on where one can/can't carry? IMHO, MA is one of the best....

Yes.....Your neighbors to the north. Only place prohibited by STATE law is court houses.

Of course Fed. law also applies, but I'm not sure the local authority can enforce federal law. I haven't heard of anyone in NH getting the Feds called in.

Yes.....Your neighbors to the north. Only place prohibited by STATE law is court houses.

Of course Fed. law also applies, but I'm not sure the local authority can enforce federal law. I haven't heard of anyone in NH getting the Feds called in.

ok, so in NH, you can carry in schools, that makes it a million times better [rolleyes] Look at a place like TX, a place many would liken the name of the state with guns, and you cant carry in MANY places there. Like I have always said, if you do get ALP in MA< you can carry with greater ease than most other states out there, IMHO

ok, so in NH, you can carry in schools, that makes it a million times better [rolleyes]

I take it you think a lawful gun owner shouldn't be able to carry in schools??? [rolleyes][rolleyes][rolleyes] Under NH STATE law there is no prohibition to carrying on schools. As I said federal laws must be followed.

Please explain to the crowd why 2nd Amendment rights should end at school grounds. Does everything magically become safer there?

Last edited:
I take it you think a lawful gun owner shouldn't be able to carry in schools??? [rolleyes][rolleyes][rolleyes] Under NH STATE law there is no prohibition to carrying on schools. As I said federal laws must be followed.

Please explain to the crowd why 2nd Amendment rights should end at school grounds. Does everything magically become safer there?

I think you misunderstood bostonasphalt2. I believe he's just saying that the only difference in restrictions between Mass and NH is the ability to carry on school grounds, and that's not such a big deal compared to all the restrictions in Texas and other states. Nobody's in favor of the school restrictions but they really are pretty minor in the big picture.

Last edited:

you have missed my point completely. My point is in terms of places to carry, sure NH is better because you can carry in schools, but it doesnt automatically make it "zOMG better!" better. was talking to the overall atmosphere of CCW nationwide. Most states are more restrictive than MA, MA just makes it harder to get CCW capabilities.

I think you misunderstood bostonasphalt2. I believe he's saying that the only difference in restrictions between Mass and NH is the ability to carry on school grounds, and that's not such a big deal compared to the restrictions in Texas and other states.

DING DING DING

Back
Top Bottom