so Id like to

centermass181

NES Member
start reloading.

Marty, here on the forum suggested the Dillon 650, and that seems WAY out of my price range.

Id be loading .308, and .223 for accuracy, .40, .45 7.62x39, .223, and 30-06 for plinking.

Id like to get a press thats a little above the entry level, and comes close to complete.

Any thoughts on:
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=679228

I would get the Dillon 550B for your pistol rounds. But for Rifle, I hear that a single stage is a lot better if you're reloading for accuracy.

I don't load rifle rounds, so some of the other guys would be better for that.

But I have the 550B and I love it. It's very easy to change out calibers. And really easy to clean, without having to re-seat your dies.

You can usually find a 550 on eBay pretty reasonable.

I always suggest anyone start with a single stage press, like the RCBS RockChucker kit. This gets you in touch with all the processes involved and is much safer to start. I have loaded a TON of pistol and rifle ammo on my RockChucker and my FIL loaded ten times what I have loaded on the press when he had it. They never wear out. Make sure you get dial calipers too. Get the best dies sets you can afford. I like RCBS, Hornady, or Redding as they seem to be the best quality. Everyone has their opinion though. Redding is more expensive, but they are very well made.

Have fun!

I concur on the RockChucker. I started loading ammo in the 1960's. Yes, I was very young at the time. I use a RockChucker and we have a couple at the shop.

I suggest you learn on a single stage then go to a progressive.

I also suggest you buy good equipment from the start. You won't regret it.

For what you'd pay for a Dillon 650 w/case feeder you can get a 550 AND a Rock Chucker. I've got a 550 and a 650. I was thinking about getting a turret press to reload .270 on. The Hornady L-N-L is a nice set-up. I bought the Dillon 550 as my first press because of all the available info in the event you run into any problems with it. Back post on GT,THR,1911.com provide a wealth of information. I was having primer feed problems a while back on my 550. I posted a question about it and later on in the day when I checked to see if I had any answers I saw I had 10 or 12 of them. Dillon owners and reloaders in general are always willing to help out someone just starting out. Let us know what you decide on. Good Luck.

centermass181 said:
I'd be loading .308 and .223 for accuracy
Rock Chucker or 550

centermass181 said:
.40, .45 7.62x39, .223, and 30-06 for plinking.

I'm pretty sure I've read that David Tubb loads on a 550, probably with some tricks. You can do all of those rounds efficiently with a 550, the plinking rounds for sure. There is a case feeder available for it now too.

Sorry, I prefer Wilson dies for accuracy and I keep putting off buying a Dillon. I don't care for a progressive when loading rifle ammo. In my view, you'll either be skipping steps or taking too long.

I have a Dillon 550 and had never reloaded before when I bought it. It
is really an easy machine to deal with and I would recommend anyone
starting to reload to get this press. Why? Well because if you are loading
pistol rounds then you will really need to upgrade within a couple of months
as a single stage will rapidly fall behind your abilities. If you are loading
rifle cartridges then the 550 has no advantage over a single stage press
but I do load 30-06 on my 550. I just have to measure each and every
powder load. If you are like me and don't do a lot of rifle then you really
should go with the 550. It's a snap to operate and learn and it will really
serve you well into the future.

TBP

Last edited:
The 550 is not autoindexing like the 650 so you can take whatever steps you'd like between stations for the different calibers you are loading. In other words, it will function just like a single stage if you'd like it to. In full progressive mode you can load pistol ammo pretty fast.

Northeast Trading in N. Attleboro has a bunch of Dillons on which they make their ammo, mostly 650s and 1050s. There used to be a 550 back there. Ask for a demo if you are in the area.

so whats the major dif between the 650 and the 550? just the one added spot, I understand this would be good for the charge alarm.....but seems like a lot. Leaning towards the 550.....

GTOShootr said:
Northeast Trading in N. Attleboro has a bunch of Dillons on which they make their ammo, mostly 650s and 1050s. There used to be a 550 back there. Ask for a demo if you are in the area.
Any gun shop that would take the time to show you their "Dillons" sound like friendly people to me. Good for them.[cheers]

centermass181 said:
so whats the major dif between the 650 and the 550? just the one added spot, I understand this would be good for the charge alarm.....but seems like a lot. Leaning towards the 550.....

The 650 is auto-indexing, meaning the shell plate ratchets itself around with each down stroke. With the case feeder running, you only need to set the bullet on the case and crank them out. It is a thing of beauty. Read more here: The 550 or the 650?

The casefeeder is a standard addition to the 650 from Dillon. A case feeder for the 550 rather new (I thought it might be aftermarket but it looks like it isn't).

When I bought my press from Northeast Trading, Ted actually offered to set it up for me. Actually, a few people offered to help me, shooters are like that. It was easy though and did it myself.

Last edited:
curlymaple42 said:
I always suggest anyone start with a single stage press, like the RCBS RockChucker kit. This gets you in touch with all the processes involved and is much safer to start. I have loaded a TON of pistol and rifle ammo on my RockChucker and my FIL loaded ten times what I have loaded on the press when he had it. They never wear out. Make sure you get dial calipers too. Get the best dies sets you can afford. I like RCBS, Hornady, or Redding as they seem to be the best quality. Everyone has their opinion though. Redding is more expensive, but they are very well made.

Have fun!

+2 on this. I started on a RCBS junior (after my Lee loader;) ) back in the mid 1970s It makes you think about what you are doing. I shot PPC and loaded about 500+ rounds per week on that single stage press.

It is still in limited use today as the press I use to develop a load. My production press is a 550 (Actually I have 2 of them side by side) The single stage press is the best way to learn as you actually learn something rather than just pull a handle.

If you really want to "Learn to reload", buy a single stage used and start. If you just want to make cartridges and don't really care about the process, buy a progressive and jump on in.

regards,

Back
Top Bottom