So with these two fugitives in NY, what's the legality of law enforcement to search

sbi

your house for them?

Yeah, I know, I am opening a can of worms here. I know the 'legality' and search warrant and all that. The question is more like - what would you​, Dear NESers, do if/when the searching parties knock on your door and ask/demand to enter the house to search for these scumbags?

you can let us search peaceably, or we can do this the hard way.

OK, what legality do they have to enter the house without a warrant and what is the risk to you (Legal risk) for refusing entry?

OK, what legality do they have to enter the house without a warrant and what is the risk to you (Legal risk) for refusing entry?

They can **** off and die. They aren't coming in my house and looking for anything, without a warrant. They will have to try killing me first. It's that simple.

Ask the people in Watertown what the "risks" are for refusal. The intimidation factor is very high, probably with threats of arrest for "interference with law enforcement" . . . legally it is all bluster, but with our court system I could see them getting a conviction. No idea wrt NY laws.

No I wouldn't let them in absent a warrant. They can search my shed however, I'd hand them the key.

Ive had cops screaming in my face a few times. Its not scary. They're only pissed because you hold the cards. Stay calm, professional and polite...but theres no need to comply.

What IS scary is that they have brought in CBP (Customs and Border Patrol) agents to assist. Since they're within 100 miles of the border, they'll probably claim that they don't need a warrant.

If you don't say yes and they come in anyway, anything they find that they don't like they can't hassle you for right? But if you invite them in, they can bust you for your meth lab in the kitchen? Really no reason to say yes. If they're determined to come in no matter what, why condone it?

I was kind of surprised to see on the news this morning that the NYS Police have closed a highway and set up a road block 5 miles from the prison. These guys have bene on the loose for almost a week. Do you think they are still inside a 5 mile radius?

Maybe, because most criminals are stupid, but I could cover a lot of ground in a week. I'd be surprised if they aren't in Canada by now.

wonder what they would say if you tell them you'll check out your house and if you find them, you'd be happy to drag the bodies outside for them?

I was kind of surprised to see on the news this morning that the NYS Police have closed a highway and set up a road block 5 miles from the prison. These guys have bene on the loose for almost a week. Do you think they are still inside a 5 mile radius?

Maybe, because most criminals are stupid, but I could cover a lot of ground in a week. I'd be surprised if they aren't in Canada by now.

Maybe they never actually escaped and they are hiding out in the prison some where....

What IS scary is that they have brought in CBP (Customs and Border Patrol) agents to assist. Since they're within 100 miles of the border, they'll probably claim that they don't need a warrant.

Im hoping someone with more legal knowledge than myself can chime in on this. I know how the law works with regards to checkpoints, but how would it apply regarding the search of one's domicile?

Thats funny. Perfectly executed escape plan but they probably havent made it 5 miles in a week.

[rofl]

I wouldn't call these two stupid.

Absolutely not.

No question about it, not even a conversation.

this. And then when they stick a gun in your face like watertown you file a lawsuit. Don't physically get in their way. record the event and make sure it's crystal clear you tell them you do not consent.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd be chilling with Andy Dufresne in Zihuatanejo Mexico. Maybe open a small fishing charter.

CBP can **** off and die also. They ain't getting into my house, period.

Fun vector to this... what if you're not home? Can they just bash your door in and go looking for them?

-Mike

Im hoping someone with more legal knowledge than myself can chime in on this. I know how the law works with regards to checkpoints, but how would it apply regarding the search of one's domicile?
100% not applicable to this situation. I'm not saying some retard won't try to grossly overstep their authority, but there is nothing in federal law that allows an immigration or customs officer to conduct a warrantless search of a domicile solely because it's within 100 miles of the border. Also, CBP stands for Customs and Border Protection, just a minor pet peeve.

That could end badly if you come home to see your door kicked in, draw a weapon and run into a damn swat team.

Yeah but I think I would notice the MRAPS, Bearcats and all the bubble gum machines either near or outside my house, or all the guys running around with tactical mall ninja kit and ARs.

-Mike

anyone refusing a "safety check" by the police in the search area must be refusing under duress from the two escapees. Therefore the police will immediately shoot all dogs in the vicinity, tear gas the home, punch a baby in the face, tackle a black teen girl, and finally storm the home (but not before doing a few tactical rolls first).

barrel-roll-2.gif

Last edited:
Fun vector to this... what if you're not home? Can they just bash your door in and go looking for them?

-Mike

They seem to have gotten away with it in Denver the other day.

[video]http://denver.cbslocal.com/video?autoStart=true&topVideoCatNo=default&clipId=11571714[/video]

Yeah but I think I would notice the MRAPS, Bearcats and all the bubble gum machines either near or outside my house, or all the guys running around with tactical mall ninja kit and ARs.

-Mike

Unless you were busy texting (or using tap-a-talk to read/write NES) as you walked up to your door.

-Mike

Plenty of cops were on foot.

I don't recall hearing about the police entering vacant homes so its probably a moot point anyway

Back
Top Bottom