Someone ringing the front door, 1:15 am

"cops could have shot you as you returned to the house with it thinking you were the bad guy."

Holy crap, I didn't think about that, I'll try to be more sensible if I ever call the cops again.

To add insult to injury, I'm sure the Boston Globe would have portrayed it as a justifiable homicide of an unstable, machete-toting gun nut. The incident would have been used to propell mandatory machete registration legislation through the state senate.

That's a good point Pilgrim. Furthermore, one should never leave tools or other items a thief could use unlocked outside.

Classic example is a thief uses a ladder to climb through an open window. Where did he get the ladder??? It was laying next to the window, behind the house out of sight from the road! Truth is, that's where most people store their ladders.

Make sure that shed is locked. I know nothing is impenetrable, but don't make it easy for them.

Ok Guys...this is very strange. Same thing happened to me last night. The wife and I were awakended at 3:30AM this morning by the doorbell. Stupid me I've been forgetting to turn the motion lights on. Unlike the original poster I live in a rural area in Uxbridge where the houses are separated by 200-250 yards. Person rang first time 1 or 2 times. Followed by one ring after another and then would stop for a few minutes and then ring again. I couldn't see from the front door as my house has a huge blind spot to the sides of the front door. We don't have street lights either so I couldn't check for cars. There was no way I was going to go outside. Anybody ringing a doorbell in the dead of night in a neighbor like mine is trouble. Another dumb move but I didn't call the police since it might be a short in the bell. After thinking about it and trying to replicate it later in the morning I'm convinced it was a critter of the two legged variety.

Very frightening experience.

I think it goes without saying that one should never open the door in a situation like this but in the fog of just getting rousted out of a deep sleep things can get pretty confusing.

Will sleep very lightly tonight.

No disrespect, but your wife desparately needs to get a grip on reality.

My wife knows to NEVER, EVER open the door to a stranger, particularly if I'm not home. She also knows enough to always go to the door armed if I'm not home.Living in a rural setting where a neighbor would never hear a scream, especially from inside a house and being twenty miles from the center of town and the average police response is about 7-10 minutes at best, self defense and self preservation are paramount.
Some might call it paranoia....I call it being smart and being prepared.

Hell, I keep my doors locked even when I'm home alone, just so I don't contribute to the possibility of having to face a stranger inside my own home by surprise and after dark I too go to the door armed.

A home invasion can happen in seconds and be completed within a couple of minutes. There's no time to "get prepared"......you either are prepared or you are not.

Back
Top Bottom