• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Springfield 1911 45 or P229

bigpick

NES Member
Thinking of picking up a firearm tomorrow. These are the two I’m choosing from. I don’t have a 1911 but I do like sigs. Any feedback? Just these two please.

Thanks

I'm a huge 1911 fan, but also own a Sig 229. The one thing I like about the 229 is if you get the 40S&W version you can swap out the barrels and use a 357 Sig and 9mm replacement barrel to have a true three caliber gun. All three calibers can use the same mags and the gun will function perfectly. I have thousands of rounds through the three barrels I have with my 229 and have had no major issue at all.

Guess it all comes down to what caliber you want to shoot. 45acp, get the 1911. The other calibers you can't go wrong with a 229.

I'm a huge 1911 fan, but also own a Sig 229. The one thing I like about the 229 is if you get the 40S&W version you can swap out the barrels and use a 357 Sig and 9mm replacement barrel to have a true three caliber gun. All three calibers can use the same mags and the gun will function perfectly. I have thousands of rounds through the three barrels I have with my 229 and have had no major issue at all.

Guess it all comes down to what caliber you want to shoot. 45acp, get the 1911. The other calibers you can't go wrong with a 229.

Certainly puts a spin on things. Thanks for the feedback.

There may be a time in the not so distant future in MA where it'd be difficult to find anything new that a pre-ban standard capacity magazine might fit (p229 and p226). That's a lot less likely with a 7 (8 or 10) round 1911. Personally I'd get the stuff on the hi-cap roster while there's still a high cap roster.

The Springfield RO is really a piece of quality work. Personally, I would go with the 9mm compact 4".

My hearts in the Sig place at the moment considering I just picked up 2 more pre bans for my 229 9mm. I do have a 1911 commander which carries fine. My one regret is that it’s not a 5”.

The obligatory "you should have put your purse down" J/K comment

Congrats !!! on the new purchase [thumbsup]

Congrats on your new 229. I have carried one for years and in the cooler months, it is my EDC. outside the waistband, with a good belt and a nice leather holster. It has never let me down. I also have a nice shoulder rig for all my P series pistols.
But, my Sunday go to church gun, is a 1911, because I am pretty sure that if God carries, he carries a 1911. That is why the guy that designed it's middle name was Moses. Divine intervention.
But I am curious, what did you not like about the 1911? Was it the weight? The reason I ask is that most folks would say the opposite. Most folks bitch about a Sigs big double stack grip and high bore access. I have big hands so it's never been an issue for me. I also trust my Sigs because I have never had a failure in any of them. Ever.
But... my Colt with match barrel is the most accurate semi I own. It also feels the best in my hand and 45acp is the best round overall. ( just half kidding because I own 357 and 44 for a reason). Sigs are awesome. Yeah, they may be a bit overpriced like HK, but you can feel the quality as compared to a Ruger or a M&P. BUT a nice 1911 is a work of art, which is why they are still relevant and so popular. You gotta shoot a nice one. You owe it to yourself. A 5" barrel and a nice trigger... and the bore so big that it has an echo. And 'Merica.

Getting the P229 gave you more time to decide on what 1911 to get. Springfield added more on the updated roster for May.

Congrats on your new 229. I have carried one for years and in the cooler months, it is my EDC. outside the waistband, with a good belt and a nice leather holster. It has never let me down. I also have a nice shoulder rig for all my P series pistols.
But, my Sunday go to church gun, is a 1911, because I am pretty sure that if God carries, he carries a 1911. That is why the guy that designed it's middle name was Moses. Divine intervention.
But I am curious, what did you not like about the 1911? Was it the weight? The reason I ask is that most folks would say the opposite. Most folks bitch about a Sigs big double stack grip and high bore access. I have big hands so it's never been an issue for me. I also trust my Sigs because I have never had a failure in any of them. Ever.
But... my Colt with match barrel is the most accurate semi I own. It also feels the best in my hand and 45acp is the best round overall. ( just half kidding because I own 357 and 44 for a reason). Sigs are awesome. Yeah, they may be a bit overpriced like HK, but you can feel the quality as compared to a Ruger or a M&P. BUT a nice 1911 is a work of art, which is why they are still relevant and so popular. You gotta shoot a nice one. You owe it to yourself. A 5" barrel and a nice trigger... and the bore so big that it has an echo. And 'Merica.

I have smaller hands so it was a little bulky and awkward. Could definitely feel the weight but that didn’t bother me so much. Just didn’t feel right. I’ll be sure to shoot a few and one will end up in the safe just wasn’t the case today.

I have smaller hands so it was a little bulky and awkward. Could definitely feel the weight but that didn’t bother me so much. Just didn’t feel right. I’ll be sure to shoot a few and one will end up in the safe just wasn’t the case today.

Usually, small hands and a bigpick don't go together..

I have both and like my 1911's much more. It's a personal thing, but its mine.

Back
Top Bottom