squib round

How far away from my shop are you?
Stop in and I will remove the squib for you no charge. It is better then having your barrel get damaged. Sometimes the bullet mushrooms up when trying to drive it out. Once this happens the bullet must be drilled out and this is something that should not be done at home.
Thanks
John
413 579 1994

Last edited:
Part one, bullet gets stuck after fourth shot.
[video=youtube_share;N8WVhVDdItE]http://youtu.be/N8WVhVDdItE[/video]

Part two, removing stuck bullet and moving on.
[video=youtube_share;4lOJ3T4QtW8]http://youtu.be/4lOJ3T4QtW8[/video] [smile]

holy. crap.

How far away from my shop are you?
Stop in and I will remove the squib for you no charge. It is better then having your barrel get damaged. Sometimes the bullet mushrooms up when trying to drive it out. Once this happens the bullet must be drilled out and this is something that should not be done at home.
Thanks
John
413 579 1994

+1 for the offer to help out!

Thanks for all the help guys i would of tried the 40 if i had 1 but i had to make do with a wooden rod and a hammer.Im just glad i caught it before i shot the next round.

He couldn't have done it without me [rofl]

Eh! I could have grabbed a big rock but your hammer did make it a little easier.

I have a brass rod .350" in my range bag at all times.

This past winter I purchased an old Dillon Square Deal press. (Pre-"B" model) It does not have the powder bar return rod and relies solely on the spring to move the powder bar back. I loaded up a bunch of LRN .45's with it and wound up with a bunch of squib rounds. I have become pretty adept at removing the barrel obstructions. I have also become super aware of the movement of the powder bar on each stroke of the handle on that press now.

I found out about the problem at this Fall's "Walls of Steel" match.

[video=youtube_share;XJmSayCL4Rs]http://youtu.be/XJmSayCL4Rs[/video]

Should I be proud of my ability to remove squibs quickly or embarrassed by my reloading failures? Hmm, maybe a poll is in order........

Last edited:
be careful using another round to clear the squib.....here's what happened when my FAL: had a squib and I didn't know it and fired the next round of .308

View attachment 22994

edit to add info:

all that was damaged was the barrel - had the gunsmith replace the barrel and check the FAL out....said it was all OK...He wanted to keep the barrel but I wanted it back as a souvinier...hangs on my workshop wall, as a reminder that when you look down range thru the spotting scope and don't see the hole in the paper you're expecting to see, there may be another reason other than you missed...( like the bullet is still stuck in the barrel...)

I either asked this recently and forgot the answer or I was thinking of asking it and didn’t yet. Will a squib load cycle the action on a semi auto or full auto gun? Or will it stop and not eject the round?

I either asked this recently and forgot the answer or I was thinking of asking it and didn’t yet. Will a squib load cycle the action on a semi auto or full auto gun? Or will it stop and not eject the round?

Maybe. Maybe not. Depends upon the squib and the gun.

Ya mine ejected the case and fed the next round in fine.Luckily i was shooting steel plate and noticed i didn't get a ping so i checked the barrel.

Squibs do all kind of strange things. I've seen them fall out of the barrel onto the ground in front of the shooter; go a few feet and hit the ground; hit the target and bounce off and hit the target and get stuck in it. When it doesn't leave the barrel, then you've got issues and need to clear it like Supermoto does. I was doing that waayy before he even thought of it. (Hope the eye is doing better Super)

Squib 2.jpg

squib 4.jpg

The only squib I've ever had was in a revolver and it was unmistakeable.

But if you're talking about a round so underpowered it can't even clear the barrel, I think it's very unlikely that enough gas pressure is going to exist to cycle a slide and eject the brass.

The only squib I've ever had was in a revolver and it was unmistakeable.

But if you're talking about a round so underpowered it can't even clear the barrel, I think it's very unlikely that enough gas pressure is going to exist to cycle a slide and eject the brass.

I was with someone that when shooting a full auto someone must have had a squib load. I am assuming they cleared the empty brass without realizing it was a squib load and fired again. It wasn’t noticed until the owner went to clean it that he noticed a bulge in the barrel.

We are pretty sure it was the range person who was trying to help get the gun working in the first place. There was also some very old ammo used that wasn’t going off at all. So we think because of all the other noise in the range and all the brass all over the floor he probably thought the round didn’t go off at all. And when he cleared it the shell went flying and he didn’t see it was an empty shell. So he tried again and that round went off clearing the squib round from the barrel and bulging the barrel.

I was asking if it would cycle the action because I wouldn’t like to see his replacement barrel get messed up next time. And with the proper precautions if we just stop and check that the barrel is clear we can avoid a problem in the future. I guess the other thing that could happen is you think you just emptied a mag and in reality it stopped because of a squib load near or at the end of the mag. And then if you slap another mag in and start firing again that would be bad.

Back
Top Bottom