Standardizing on Weapons/Calibers

I emailed my nascent SHTF BU group a proposal for weapons/caliber standardization. I proposed (for now) that we standardize on 9mm, 5.56mm and 7.62x51 for hunting/LR applications. I didn't specify weapons standardization because everybody has a different idea. If it were up to me (and it might be), I would say a full size Glock 9mm (34,17), some kind of AR and a bolt rifle (Rem 700/Win 70).

My proposal is that any new ammo purchases should focus on that (so say they guy that found two cases of 5.45 for $150 each).

Anybody else thinking along the same lines?

edit: of course 12ga. Duh!

I'm stocking up on .22 ,It never stops being fun and practical to shoot.
Honestly, I can't afford to piss through the 7.62x39 goofin' off right now.

I emailed my nascent SHTF BU group a proposal for weapons/caliber standardization. I proposed (for now) that we standardize on 9mm, 5.56mm and 7.62x51 for hunting/LR applications. I didn't specify weapons standardization because everybody has a different idea. If it were up to me (and it might be), I would say a full size Glock 9mm (34,17), some kind of AR and a bolt rifle (Rem 700/Win 70).

My proposal is that any new ammo purchases should focus on that (so say they guy that found two cases of 5.45 for $150 each).

Anybody else thinking along the same lines?

edit: of course 12ga. Duh!

I have been doing this for a while - I don't remember now where I read the original recommendation that made me think of doing this, it might have been Boston's Gun Bible or NES or some survivalist site. Essentially I refuse to buy any firearm that does not come in the following calibers:

.22LR, .223, 30.06, .308, 7.62x39, 9mm, .40S&W, and .45ACP. I have been thinking of getting rid of the .40 stuff but have held onto it because it is still pretty popular. And the only reason I have 30.06 is because Garands and ammo are very cheap from CMP - and it is a common hunting round (meaning available pretty much everywhere). Pretty much the same story with 7.62x39. If it wasn't for that - I wouldn't have them. All of these calibers are very commonly available - and as Boston points out in Boston's Gun Bible - they are all (except for 30.06) still commonly used by law enforcement and/or military in this country. So - in a real SHTF situation you would in all likelihood be able to get ammo thru one means or another.

Edit: - yes and I have 12ga also. But no other shotgun calibers

We have been doing the same.
Focusing on 2 3/4 inch 12 ga., .223 .308, 7.62 x 39, 9mm, .45, .22 and 3006. .40 not so much. I like my .40 so I have put up about a 1K rounds of that in storage, both ball and HP.
Granted, a lot of hunters have different calibers but everyone seems to have at least one gun chambered in one of those primary calibers.

I'm slowly accumulating .22, .45ACP, 7.62X39, 12ga and .357SIG(I know that would be hard to find when shtf, but I have a decent stockpile and it is a devastating offensive round)

Stockin up on .223, 7.62 x39, 45 acp., .308 and 30-06 and reloading supplies. It hard to Keep a stock pile when Billk is your uncle[smile]

No More Bump Fire Bill [sad2]

I recently sold my 30.06 for that very reason. Now I only have .308 semi and bolt (let me recommend the cheap Savage accutrigger bolt actions). Kind of painful offloading my whole 30.06 ammo supply and I'm just now finishing up sighting in the new .308 bolt action. Well worth it, though, in my opinion.

I also have a 9mm glock 17 (due to Boston's Gun Bible).

I have 44 magnum in both revolver and lever action.

I also have shotguns and .22's.

so, yes, big believer in weapon standardization. In fact I already own two of the exact same semi's, two of the glock 17's. It's expensive but I like the idea of being able to take two broken guns and make one good one. In the future when all guns will be banned it will probably be pretty hard to find parts.

I stole your calibers.
.22LR, .223, .308, 30.06, 5.7x28, 9mm, .40S&W, and .45ACP

One of these days I'm gonna swap the Winchester model 70 in 30.06 for a 308bolt gun. FN or Stevens pref.

If there are any interested parties PM me and Ill take pics of it.
AN equal exchange of 30.06 to 308 would happen also bout 1K rounds mixed 06.

ETA: I would also toss in a set of reloading dies in 06.

I have been doing this for a while - I don't remember now where I read the original recommendation that made me think of doing this, it might have been Boston's Gun Bible or NES or some survivalist site. Essentially I refuse to buy any firearm that does not come in the following calibers:

.22LR, .223, 30.06, .308, 7.62x39, 9mm, .40S&W, and .45ACP. I have been thinking of getting rid of the .40 stuff but have held onto it because it is still pretty popular. And the only reason I have 30.06 is because Garands and ammo are very cheap from CMP - and it is a common hunting round (meaning available pretty much everywhere). Pretty much the same story with 7.62x39. If it wasn't for that - I wouldn't have them. All of these calibers are very commonly available - and as Boston points out in Boston's Gun Bible - they are all (except for 30.06) still commonly used by law enforcement and/or military in this country. So - in a real SHTF situation you would in all likelihood be able to get ammo thru one means or another.

Edit: - yes and I have 12ga also. But no other shotgun calibers

That's what I do... .22, .223/556, 9mm are my main ones. I also have a case of 30-06 but I haven't started significantly on practicing with that.

And I don't count the 7.62x54R I have since I just got that for the Mosin group buy... I don't expect to put it to significant use though. If things were tight, that's the first that I'd give up and sell to whoever wants.

Well, yes and no. You may want to also designate type of firearm. I'd rather a .357 than a nine, (personal choice). But a .357 usually lets me use .38 specials also. A nine let's me use nines. A super mag 12 ga. lets me use 3.5, 3 and 2.75" shells. A standard 12 ga. lets me use 2.75". A bolt, lever, pump .22LR rifle or .22LR revolver lets me use 22LR, 22L and 22 short. A 22LR semi lets me use 22LR. Also, if you feel you need to standardize, then do so with common calibers. I'm not sure I'll find forties in any mom and pop shop but I know I'll find .30-.30's.

Not all of your firearms need to be in some easy-to-find standard caliber. So long as you have some useful ones in common calibers, others can be oddballs.

I have .44 Magnum revolvers, but I also have .38 Special and .357 Magnum ones.

I have a 6.5x55 bolt gun and an M1. I have plenty of ammo for each considering their respective missons. I have lots of 30-06 ball, and enough 6.5x55 for a hunting rifle.

All my semi auto pistols are 9x19. I need no other semi auto handgun caliber. Whatever .45ACP can do, .44 Special can do as well and .44 Magnum can do better.

I have an AR carbine and 223 out the wazzoo. I also have a 22LR hunting rifle (bolt gun) and pleny of ammo for it.

All my shotguns are 12 gauge. No need for anything else.

The only hole I have is no .308 repeating rifle. I need to fix that with a scoped bolt gun. My only .308 is a single shot target rifle with aperture sights. Great on bullseye targets, not so great on anatomical targets.

I have the capability of assembling ammunition in every caliber that I have, be it handgun, rifle, or shotgun.

Not intending to start a caliber war but I can't see using 9mm for a defensive handgun.

I've got ...er, some .45acp set aside...

On board with the .223/5.56 though. I really need two bolt rifles, a .223 & a .308.

I also agree with the others on .22lr.

I feel there is no such thing as having too much ammo.

Yes. I have a caliber standard as well. My standard calibers are: all of them!

Lessee, in handguns I've got: .22lr, .32 ACP, .380 ACP, .38 Spcl, .357 Mag, .40 S&W, .45 ACP, 10mm, 44 Mag, .45 Colt

In rifles I've got: .22lr, 5.56 Nato, 7.62x39, 6.5x55, .270 WSM, 7.62 Nato, .303, .30-06, 7.62x54R

I'm a bit stricter in shotguns: only 12ga.

Of course, I'm probably forgetting a couple.

SHTF Calibers: .22lr, 9mm, 45ACP, .223, .308 and 12 Ga.

Others: .22 Hornet, .32 Auto, .32 S&W Long, .32 H&R, .38 Special, .357 Mag, .6mm TCU, 7MM TCU, 38/55, 30/30, 38/40, .45 Colt, .44 Magnum, 45/70

Not intending to start a caliber war but I can't see using 9mm for a defensive handgun.

When one finally admits the reality that one shot stops with handguns are largely a fantasy and that the mythical Mozambique works very well on the square range but not so well when moving like you will be in a real gunfight, and when one finally comes to grips with the fact that assailants will have to be shot all the way to the ground, one begins to see the selling point of a 17 round magazine of 9x19 expanding hollow points over almost anything else short of a long gun.

[wink]

.22 ,
5.45x39 ( I know not so common but I have been using it ever since it came in country...I even have some old Romanian still in my stash)
7.62 NATO
12 Gauge
.45acp

For a group...economically and logistically it is wise. If you can get a group to even go further and have at least 1 standard platform for each caliber then that helps for spare parts.

When one finally admits the reality that one shot stops with handguns are largely a fantasy and that the mythical Mozambique works very well on the square range but not so well when moving like you will be in a real gunfight, and when one finally comes to grips with the fact that assailants will have to be shot all the way to the ground, one begins to see the selling point of a 17 round magazine of 9x19 expanding hollow points over almost anything else short of a long gun.

[wink]

As a defensive round 9mm is fine as obviously you can use HP's. Its all personal choice...17 rounds of 9mm or 13 rounds of .45 (in free states or Glock 21 w/ post ban mags). I just made a personal choice of .45 for shtf as if I was stuck with ball I would feel better with .45 FMJ vs 9mm FMJ

But , if you are in a "real" gunfight and you need more than 30 rounds for your handgun then a) you should be using a rifle and/or b) you probably have much bigger issues on your plate than what caliber handgun you have. :)

But , if you are in a "real" gunfight and you need more than 30 rounds for your handgun then a) you should be using a rifle and/or b) you probably have much bigger issues on your plate than what caliber handgun you have. :)

There is no such thing as too much ammo, mmmkay? [wink]

A few people referenced Boston's Gun Bible in this thread. I picked up the newest revision of this when I got to see the author speak at the FSP Liberty Forum a few weeks ago. Currently he's pushing the idea of a battle rifle (Garand, HK91, AR10, M14) in .308 as the primary rifle to own. Range, stopping power and the fact that you can only get new rifle in semi-auto anyways were reasons. He's also been down on 9mm and instead calling for .40S&W, .45ACP, or 10mm as the best pistols rounds. On 9mm his point was why have a 400 ft/lb 9mm when you can have a 500 ft/lb .40S&W with minimal loss of round capacity. He almost sold me on a 10mm Glock 20 until I checked into ammo availability. I may still get one but may wait until I give reloading a try. I've only skip around this book so far but lots of good info in it.

A few people referenced Boston's Gun Bible in this thread. I picked up the newest revision of this when I got to see the author speak at the FSP Liberty Forum a few weeks ago. Currently he's pushing the idea of a battle rifle (Garand, HK91, AR10, M14) in .308 as the primary rifle to own. Range, stopping power and the fact that you can only get new rifle in semi-auto anyways were reasons. He's also been down on 9mm and instead calling for .40S&W, .45ACP, or 10mm as the best pistols rounds. On 9mm his point was why have a 400 ft/lb 9mm when you can have a 500 ft/lb .40S&W with minimal loss of round capacity. He almost sold me on a 10mm Glock 20 until I checked into ammo availability. I may still get one but may wait until I give reloading a try. I've only skip around this book so far but lots of good info in it.

I have a DPMS LR308 semi. It is a fine shooter, but I have always lusted for a FAL. Dunno why I never pulled the trigger and now, I fear, it is too late.

He almost sold me on a 10mm Glock 20 until I checked into ammo availability. I may still get one but may wait until I give reloading a try. I've only skip around this book so far but lots of good info in it.

It is not just availability of ammo but cost. 10mm is expensive.

Yeah...I have to agree with the .308 Battle Rifle. Was going to pull the trigger on a nice .308 scoped tack driver but instead decided to purchase an M1A. I've got an AR carbine for moving/running but if I can have any sort of stationary battle, I'll take the .308 in semi auto over the bolt action. Want an example?

If there's a collection of people about ready to storm through my door (or any other choke point I can create) I don't want to cycle the action, I simply want to unload 20 rounds of .308 as fast as possible into the center of that choke-point before I go down from return fire.

I have a DPMS LR308 semi. It is a fine shooter, but I have always lusted for a FAL. Dunno why I never pulled the trigger and now, I fear, it is too late.

It's not too late - you have a number of options.

- you could order one direct from DS Arms, but from what I have heard they have something like a 6 month backlog

- watch the classifieds here on NES. In the last month or so there have been two FAL's that showed up - I bought one of them, and the next one was gone in a day or two. The prices were not bad - the 2nd one was better priced though, I wish I had waited for that one.

- check out local guns shops, on a regular basis. Four Seasons in Woburn had an FAL on the shelf a week or two ago (it's gone now). I bought an FAl from them a couple of years ago - that was on their shelf. And I have heard of other gun shops in the area that get them in from time to time.

- check out gunbroker.com. You could buy an FAL thru gunbroker - have it sent to an FFL in NH and have it converted to MA config and then bring it in and file an FA10 (FAL10 [smile]) - to be in compliance with the MA regs.

- buy a parts kit and build your own. There is plenty of info here on NES about doing that, and the FALFiles have a ton of info - and parts kits (and rifles for that matter) - that are for sale.

FAL's are not like AR's - you won't find 10 of them in every gun shop you go to - but they are out there. And it's worth the searching and waiting - the FAL is one of my favorite rifles.

It's not too late - you have a number of options.

- you could order one direct from DS Arms, but from what I have heard they have something like a 6 month backlog

- watch the classifieds here on NES. In the last month or so there have been two FAL's that showed up - I bought one of them, and the next one was gone in a day or two. The prices were not bad - the 2nd one was better priced though, I wish I had waited for that one.

- check out local guns shops, on a regular basis. Four Seasons in Woburn had an FAL on the shelf a week or two ago (it's gone now). I bought an FAl from them a couple of years ago - that was on their shelf. And I have heard of other gun shops in the area that get them in from time to time.

- check out gunbroker.com. You could buy an FAL thru gunbroker - have it sent to an FFL in NH and have it converted to MA config and then bring it in and file an FA10 (FAL10 [smile]) - to be in compliance with the MA regs.

- buy a parts kit and build your own. There is plenty of info here on NES about doing that, and the FALFiles have a ton of info - and parts kits (and rifles for that matter) - that are for sale.

FAL's are not like AR's - you won't find 10 of them in every gun shop you go to - but they are out there. And it's worth the searching and waiting - the FAL is one of my favorite rifles.

Right now, it is more the $$$ than the availability. There was a time when I was looking at the STG58 over at DSA and it was $700. Man, shoulda jumped on that.

I started doing this last year. I'm down to just 9mm and .223......and of course 22...(well, okay I have plenty of buckshot as well for the shotgun). I think it makes a lot of sense both financially and tactically. Unless you are a hardcore collector with deep pockets, there is no point to having one of every caliber. I don't know about you guys, but I am looking at this from a "worst case scenario" and have planned accordingly. I'm a big fan of interchangeability, so I made sure at least two of my handguns could take the same mag as well as my black rifles. It's also a good idea to have some spare parts on hand as well. Never know when you may need a new firing pin or spring.

On 9mm his point was why have a 400 ft/lb 9mm when you can have a 500 ft/lb .40S&W with minimal loss of round capacity.

How about because there is no relationship between muzzle energy and a handgun's fight stopping ability?

Back
Top Bottom