• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Starter gun oppinions needed

The P22 is a lousy choice for bullseye. The barrel is mounted to the frame insert and the sights are mounted on the slide. The only connection between the two is the rails and the gun isn't exactly built tight. The slide is also Zinc not steel so I don't trust it to wear well against the the steel rails.

You'll notice that all serious rimfire bullseye guns (S&W 41, Ruger MKIII Government, Pardini, Walther, Buckmark) have the sights mounted on the barrel and frame which are fixed in relation to each other. There is good reason for this. If the sights move relative to the barrel between shots there is no guarantee that they will lock up the same relative to the barrel each time.

The bottom rung on the Bullseye chain is the Ruger. Just as accurate, but the trigger and ergonomics are somewhat lacking. Next is the S&W Model 41 with Pardini at the top.

For less money you could get a Ruger...

you will notice this is also for fun not for hardcore serious shooting.. I would have bought a MKIII if i was serious about this. I am here to have fun. With in my budget which at them time was a walther P22.

Kill joy...

But it is good advice none the less.

True enough, but he's already got it. At least he's shooting. He'll upgrade soon enough with $2100 burning a hole in his pocket!

i agree matt i will be spending it faster than you know. I am still debating what to buy. A friend of min is bringing his .50 cal down for me to try. I may be buying that from him very soon. I am going to be trying it this sunday at ames. If anyone wants to take video?

I'd be buying a browning buckmark if it wasn't excluded from "the list" in our wonderful state, for some reason those really catch my eye. Not sure where you're from, but I've heard that browning buckmark is good for starting in target shooting from a bunch of research I've done. If you're looking for something very serious, but cheap, baikal IZH35M IS the way to go, accurate but ugly. Again, possibly difficult to obtain in MA if thats where you live, maybe difficult to obtain in general. The only decent target gun on the list of allowed new firearms is probably the MK's, they're very accurate... That being said, I'm planning to get a ruger single six for my first pistol, but I'm not planning to enter any competitions anytime soon. Everyone thats said they have one says they are a blast to shoot, so hopefully I can't go wrong!

Also, I'm no expert but I think a 50 cal isn't a good beginner gun, and not one you'll want to shoot a lot unless you dislike your wrists for some reason [laugh]

-Tom

I'd be buying a browning buckmark if it wasn't excluded from "the list" in our wonderful state, for some reason those really catch my eye. Not sure where you're from, but I've heard that browning buckmark is good for starting in target shooting from a bunch of research I've done. If you're looking for something very serious, but cheap, baikal IZH35M IS the way to go, accurate but ugly. Again, possibly difficult to obtain in MA if thats where you live, maybe difficult to obtain in general. The only decent target gun on the list of allowed new firearms is probably the MK's, they're very accurate... That being said, I'm planning to get a ruger single six for my first pistol, but I'm not planning to enter any competitions anytime soon. Everyone thats said they have one says they are a blast to shoot, so hopefully I can't go wrong!

Also, I'm no expert but I think a 50 cal isn't a good beginner gun, and not one you'll want to shoot a lot unless you dislike your wrists for some reason [laugh]

-Tom

I understand your view on the .50cal.. but its a rifle not a handgun that I am looking at buying. Its a L.A.R. 50 bmg. I am not a stranger to rifles, I have been shooting them a lot longer than pistols.

1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom