Stats on CLEO sign off for SBR in Mass

Reptile

NES Member
I live in a Green town, but no MG's are allowed.

I am thinking of getting a SBR.

Is it as easy as bringing in a form to get signed?

Assuming you are "known" by your local PD- should it be difficult?

Are there any stats on the success of getting a SBR this way?

Any do's and don't that come to mind from people who have been successful?

Really up to the chief dude. I had no problem after he ran a background check on me.

Mike

Sent from my cell phone with a tiny keyboard and large thumbs...

I live in a Green town, but no MG's are allowed.

I am thinking of getting a SBR.

Is it as easy as bringing in a form to get signed?

Assuming you are "known" by your local PD- should it be difficult?

Are there any stats on the success of getting a SBR this way?

Any do's and don't that come to mind from people who have been successful?

Nobody is going to publish this stuff out in the open, many NFA owners don't wish to "kill the goose that laid the golden egg" wherever they live.

-Mike

Go trust, you can use the E-forms which makes the process MUCH faster. Last time i checked trusts were being approved in less than 2 months.

I lived in one tine we're ALP carry permit was no problem, but the chief wouldn't even consider "weird stuff" i.e. any NFA items. I went the trust route.

Trust

Get a trust and get stamps for what you want fast if your worried .

I just was trying to avoid marring up my lower with engraving.

I wish some NFA engravers had ACTUAL examples of their work.

I guess I'll just get a trust and be done with it.

I just was trying to avoid marring up my lower with engraving.

I wish some NFA engravers had ACTUAL examples of their work.

I guess I'll just get a trust and be done with it.

What does a trust vs individual have to do with engraving? If you make a NFA firearm it has to be engraved regardless.

What does a trust vs individual have to do with engraving? If you make a NFA firearm it has to be engraved regardless.

You mean a SBR lower receiver must be engraved besides which what comes from the factory (Manufacturer and serial number)?

If you got CLEO sign off - what needs to be engraved on the lower?

You mean a SBR lower receiver must be engraved besides which what comes from the factory (Manufacturer and serial number)?

If you got CLEO sign off - what needs to be engraved on the lower?

If you are creating a NFA firearm via a Form 1, your name or the name of your trust, plus the location (city and state) must be engraved upon the firearm regardless of whether your trust is making it or you as an individual are making it.

So for an individual, FirstName LastName City, State (abbrev.)

Whatever you put on the form 1 must appear exactly on the firearm

If you are creating a NFA firearm via a Form 1, your name or the name of your trust, plus the location (city and state) must be engraved upon the firearm regardless of whether your trust is making it or you as an individual are making it.

So for an individual, FirstName LastName City, State (abbrev.)

Whatever you put on the form 1 must appear exactly on the firearm

I didn't know that.

Obviously, I don't want my name on the gun.

No wonder trusts are so popular.

I didn't know that.

If you go the trust route, be advised that some of the online trust places don't let you choose your trust name. For the basic $200 trust from guntrustlawyer.com, it generates it as "LastName Trust". I wasn't too thrilled with that myself, but it is what it is. The copyright notice they put on the forms, plus the PDF read only stuff, dissuaded me from trying to change it after the fact.

If you go the trust route, be advised that some of the online trust places don't let you choose your trust name. For the basic $200 trust from guntrustlawyer.com, it generates it as "LastName Trust". I wasn't too thrilled with that myself, but it is what it is. The copyright notice they put on the forms, plus the PDF read only stuff, dissuaded me from trying to change it after the fact.

I plan on using RockMaple:

https://www.facebook.com/MassGunTrusts/info

I didn't know that.

The biggest advantage of a trust (or for that matter a Corp/LLC registration) is that ownership/lawful possession is not welded to one person. Stamps issued to individuals suck badly because of this limitation.

-Mike

Just sayin , people have marked the barrel in the past.

I'm curious about that. I thought all the maker info had to be on the receiver, but take a look at a Ruger 10/22 - there's a serial number, and it might say Ruger 10/22, but the city/state info is on the barrel.

From the NFA Handbook https://www.atf.gov/content/firearm...tions-firearms-national-firearms-act-handbook

See 7.4.2

7.4.1 Serial numbers. Each manufacturer of a firearm must legibly identify it by engraving, stamping
(impressing), or otherwise conspicuously placing on the firearm’s frame or receiver an individual serial
number not duplicating any serial number placed by the manufacturer on any other firearm.120 The
requirement that the marking be “conspicuously” placed on the firearm means that the marking must be
wholly unobstructed from plain view. For firearms manufactured on or after January 30, 2002, the serial
number must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch and in a print size no smaller than 1/16 inch.
7.4.1.1 What is an acceptable serial number? Alpha characters (letters), for example a name,
are not acceptable as a serial number. A proper serial number may contain such characters or
letters, but it must have at least one numeric character (number). ATF takes the view that
marking “legibly” means using exclusively Roman letters (A, B, C, and so forth) and Arabic
numerals (1, 2, 3, and so forth).121 Deviations from this requirement have been found to
seriously impair ATF’s ability to trace firearms involved in crime.
7.4.2 Additional information. Certain additional information must also be conspicuously placed on
the frame, receiver, or barrel of the firearm by engraving, casting, stamping (impressing), that is, they
must be placed in such a manner that they are wholly unobstructed from plain view. For firearms
manufactured on or after January 30, 2002, this information must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch.
The additional information includes:1) The model, if such designation has been made;
(2) The caliber or gauge;
(3) The manufacturer’s name (or recognized abbreviation); and
(4) The city and State (or recognized abbreviation) where the manufacturer maintains its place
of business.

MA residents may have another option if my bar results come back favorable on the 27th...

Back
Top Bottom