• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Steel Challenge

check out a sportsmans club close to you. just about all of them have an idpa/scsa group that will get you to practice with them and eventually qualify to shoot a competition

i got involved with marshfield rod and gun by just showing up the day idpa was on the calender

check out a sportsmans club close to you. just about all of them have an idpa/scsa group that will get you to practice with them and eventually qualify to shoot a competition

i got involved with marshfield rod and gun by just showing up the day idpa was on the calender

*There is no qualification to shoot a competition.

You can look around for clubs in your area for local matches on Practiscore.com.

Last edited:
Come prepared to paint targets all day. Have at least 5 magazines for your firearm, and have a bag/case for your gun thats seperate from your ammo/mags. The above listed clubs/matches are great for beginners, and you'll find everyone helpful. I shoot Pioneer, Chester and Harvard, and we welcome new shooters with open arms as long as your safe and helpful.

Keep it simple at first....most stages can be shot pretty well in the sequence 1-2-3-4-Stop (From Left To Right).

Get a feel for it before you start worrying about the fine details of better times.

On "Smoke & Hope" you're going to be amazed that it is possible to miss one of those giant plates ;-)

First get a login to Practiscore. It's where you will need to register for most matches. A good club running Steel Challenge is Copicut Rifle Association. Fourth Sundays of the month.

Copicut Rifle Association | PractiScore

Rod & Gun of New Bedford runs an outlaw steel match every third Sunday. It's a combination of reactive steel stages and static steel similar to SC.

Rod and Gun Club of New Bedford | PractiScore

Steel challenge for beginners, where do I begin.
What are you shooting? Starting with a .22 pistol would be the easiest way to go with your first match since it takes the draw out of the equation. If you are already practiced in drawing, then no matter what gun you have it will fit in some division. You will need 5 magazines as each stage has 5 strings (apart from Outer Limits which has 4).

What are you shooting? Starting with a .22 pistol would be the easiest way to go with your first match since it takes the draw out of the equation. If you are already practiced in drawing, then no matter what gun you have it will fit in some division. You will need 5 magazines as each stage has 5 strings (apart from Outer Limits which has 4).
Can I use a revolver with moon clips?

Whats the difference between the two , points ?
If I understand the question correctly: Steel Challenge is it's own thing. It is owned by United States Practical Shooters Association (USPSA). It largely follows USPSA equipment rules and there are 8 official stages that a combination of such are shot in a match. Walls of Steel - I am not really familiar with. I shot one match a few years back, but I think it is just at Wallum Lake and no longer part of some nationally recognized organization.

Whats the difference between the two , points ?
Huge difference...

Steel challenge, 4 normal plates and a stop plate per string, 5 try's per stage best 4 out of 5 times are recorded. 4-8 stages depending on the match, 4-5 is prob. average. .22 pistols and Centerfire pistols, PCC (9mm, .45 etc,) .22 rifles are also common. No reloading on the clock

Walls of steel, min of 9mm as you are knocking down plates, bring a ton of mags (max 10 rounds can be loaded in a mag) and on the beep you will be knocking down ~20-30 plates per stage, one try per stage, best time wins and you will be reloading as fast as you can. If you don't knock them all down I think its 5 seconds added per standing plate. Thus bring extra mags... And then one or two more.

I've done both and honestly, never gave it a second thought and figured any opportunity to ring steel is good practice for the next event.
Walls is a bit much for a new shooter.

I’ve brought 2 new shooters and was with another new shooter for a steel challenge. All three after the initial nerves had a good time!

With walls there is a bit more stress with the reloads and the amount of shots per stage for a new shooter.

With steel challenge, you have 5 plates and no reloads. So better for a new shooter. You get a few “do overs”

Last edited:
Can I use a revolver with moon clips?

Yes.
That's a centerfire handgun, so you need to have a holster.
Starting position is hands above shoulders, gun in holster.

Unless you're shooting rimfire or PCC, in which case starting position is at low ready, aimed at cone in front of you.

If you're reloading in Steel Challenge, you're missing way too many shots.
Reloads take up much more time than the split second to aim properly.
There are a total of five plates per stage. I shoot it occasionally with my six shot .38 GP100.

Yes.
That's a centerfire handgun, so you need to have a holster.
Starting position is hands above shoulders, gun in holster.

Unless you're shooting rimfire or PCC, in which case starting position is at low ready, aimed at cone in front of you.

If you're reloading in Steel Challenge, you're missing way too many shots.
Reloads take up much more time than the split second to aim properly.
There are a total of five plates per stage. I shoot it occasionally with my six shot .38 GP100.
^ this

Only one I know of is old colony in Pembroke. Lots of FUDDs at this club.
Everywhere else is fine
OC doesn't do Steel Challenge.

At least for USPSA, Marshfield requires people have shot at another match in some club, or they do an orientation - which is not bad at all, you get to shoot a stage at a slower pace.

Back
Top Bottom