• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Steel Challenge

@Broc any holster recommendations for a 686-6 , four inch barrel, 7 shot model?

I'm not @Broc, but I'll suggest that you start with something like a Blade-Tech, it's reasonably priced and will do the job quite sufficiently.

Link: S&W 686 Holsters | Shop OWB Holster for Smith & Wesson 686

Steel Challenge is a game where literally a tenth or two of a second can make a difference. If you find that you like shooting revolver in SC, and you're good at it - then AFTER you've gotten good at your draw, your transitions and your accuracy - take a look at SPEED CR. These are pure speed holsters, they're good only for competition - but they're VERY good for competition. And of course their price reflects it.

OC doesn't do Steel Challenge.

At least for USPSA, Marshfield requires people have shot at another match in some club, or they do an orientation - which is not bad at all, you get to shoot a stage at a slower pace.
True. I was just responding to bigfudge’s comment about some clubs requiring additinal training ie practice session with a SO. Not just specific to steel challenge

@Broc any holster recommendations for a 686-6 , four inch barrel, 7 shot model?
I use a double Alpha race revolver. No need for the muzzle to rest on anything, it holds the gun just fine. Super fast, but those are expensive.

But I started cheaper, with a set up like this one:

If you want to do it right from day 1 and spend a little more, go race holster.

My stuff:
20230502_080754.jpg

For moonclips, don't buy the stupid expensive that TK Custom makes. I think it is Reovlver Supply or Speed Beez sells some that are cheaper. I bought 40, I reloaded each of those 40 over 20 times, no issues. The only one that ever broke was during USPSA, I forgot to pick one up and a dude stepped on it.

I shoot a 929

OC doesn't do Steel Challenge.

At least for USPSA, Marshfield requires people have shot at another match in some club, or they do an orientation - which is not bad at all, you get to shoot a stage at a slower pace.
FYI. Old Colony does idpa shoots once a month. I’ve shot a bunch there same with Marshfield. Marshfield also alternates with idpa and uspsa (also did a shotgun match there PLEASE DO ANOTHER)

Back
Top Bottom