storage of ammo

That actually makes some sense, unlike most of the stupid regulations imposed on gun owners in this pit. Every intro class I teach we emphasize that people, particularly kids, can cause a lot more damage with ammunition but no firearm than they can with a firearm and no ammunition. You should also note that the fire regulations pertain to the storage of ammunition. The rounds in my loaded guns and in the loaded spare magazines are being used, not stored. (That's my story and I'm sticking to it.)

My only major gripe is that the exempt quantities before you need a storage permit are ridiculously small from my perspective. I can't think of a single moment in the past 30 years when I haven't had more than 10,000 rounds of certer fire and 10,000 rounds of rimfire ammunition. Even with the private storage permit I had to work long and hard to unload enough rimfire ammunition to get under the permit limit. I also object to their counterfactual insistance on refering to ammunition as "explosives", which it most certainly is not. (OTOH, I do have quite a few substances around the house that, that can serve as such in the right hands but don't seem to be regulated in any way.) [wink]

Ken

KMaurer said:
Every intro class I teach we emphasize that people, particularly kids, can cause a lot more damage with ammunition but no firearm than they can with a firearm and no ammunition.

And that's funny because I can remember when we were kids...and stupid. You know, thinking that you were indestructible. I guess that we were about 10 or so.

Anyway, we had a friend with a HUGE stone wall that blocked his Yard and a wooded street. The street was dead. But we used to take a bb and tape it to the primer cap of a shotgun shell. Throw that shell over the wall, and listen to it go bang. Then hear the spray of the shot pepper the wall, and all around.

We thought that it was cool. Now, I know that we were stupid. But we were the same kids that were playing with firecrackers at that same age. Taping them to balsa wood gliders and lighting them and trowing them off that same wall so they would fly long enough to blow up.

Ahhh, the life of growing up in the south. LOL!

Ken,

You need a storage permit if you have more than 10,000 rounds in the house? Is that a state requirement or a federal requirement?

That's state, though something similar common in a lot of states. It's shall issue from the local fire chief. It's basically so that they're aware of what you've got stored in case of a fire.

Ken

Roger that. I'll keep that in mind when I approach that level of storage. I'm not quite there yet. [wink]

Locking up ammo has NOTHING TO DO WITH FIRE SAFETY!

If it was about fire safety, almost all cleaning chemicals, hair spray, etc. would have to be stored in locked wooden boxes!

My Fire Chief (a good guy) admitted that those regs re locked storage are NOT related to true fire safety. It is obvious that one of the HCI gang snuck in the back door and bent the ear of the State Fire Marshal at some time while we were watching the front door (legislation being filed).

The classification of ammo as explosives is no doubt a DOT (now Homeland Security) invention, as they create and define what is what and how it has to be labeled and shipped interstate.

I'm sure that the national fire chiefs' organization probably promulgated suggested regs on powder/ammo/primer storage permits and most states probably have something similar on the books.

Back
Top Bottom