STORE YOUR GAS NOW

I'm curious about the Jerry can site where it says "Note: Federal law prohibits the use of this container for the storage of fuel." Does anyone know why that is? Does it matter?

I'm curious about the Jerry can site where it says "Note: Federal law prohibits the use of this container for the storage of fuel." Does anyone know why that is? Does it matter?
Because the EPA declared it illegal to store fuel in anything except those crappy plastic cans that spill fuel everywhere.

I keep six NATO cans in rotation, using Sta-bil. I don't do it to avoid fuel price spikes, I do it so I'll have gasoline for my vehicles and generator if the power goes out.

Gasoline no longer has any stabilizers added (EPA, again). Keeping unstabilized gasoline for over a month, especially if it contains ethanol, is disastrous for small engines, although modern autos tolerate it fairly well. Even with stabilizers (Sta-bil or PRI-G), it's no longer good for a year+ like it used to be. You have to keep it in rotation, so that it gets used up.

Because the EPA declared it illegal to store fuel in anything except those crappy plastic cans that spill fuel everywhere.

I keep six NATO cans in rotation, using Sta-bil. I don't do it to avoid fuel price spikes, I do it so I'll have gasoline for my vehicles and generator if the power goes out.

Gasoline no longer has any stabilizers added (EPA, again). Keeping unstabilized gasoline for over a month, especially if it contains ethanol, is disastrous for small engines, although modern autos tolerate it fairly well. Even with stabilizers (Sta-bil or PRI-G), it's no longer good for a year+ like it used to be. You have to keep it in rotation, so that it gets used up.

So do you keep your generator full of gas as well or do you rotate that out as well?

Definitely take heed of what KB is saying. Ethanol mixed fuel is garbage and should not be stored at all without adding stabilizer. If you're putting it in a can, add something to it.

- - - Updated - - -

Just another way .gov makes you a felon and prevents you from using things that actually work properly.

I remember long ago when gas cans actually worked. The place where the spout screwed onto the can did not dribble despite using a massive amount of force to try to get the crappy new ones properly sealed. The spout itself was shaped properly (or was just plain flexible) so that I did not have to tip the entire 5 gallon can upside down before it started to actually come out (and of course then come out too fast and dump fuel all over my mower). Oh, and they even had a vent plug on the other side so the fuel could come out without having that vacuum effect holding the fuel back in and causing it to come out in messy spurts.

Good thing the gov't is protecting me from that! Thank you!

I remember long ago when gas cans actually worked. The place where the spout screwed onto the can did not dribble despite using a massive amount of force to try to get the crappy new ones properly sealed. The spout itself was shaped properly (or was just plain flexible) so that I did not have to tip the entire 5 gallon can upside down before it started to actually come out (and of course then come out too fast and dump fuel all over my mower). Oh, and they even had a vent plug on the other side so the fuel could come out without having that vacuum effect holding the fuel back in and causing it to come out in messy spurts.

Good thing the gov't is protecting me from that! Thank you!

the .gov making your life less free and more dangerous for more than 100 years.

EPA does have regs for gas cans (portable fuel containers) which mandated tank permeability, spillage, and evaporation requirements beginning around 2009. HOWEVER, there are also DOT requirements as well, like the COLOR of the tank. Per DOT, the green tanks are NOT for fuel which is why these tanks are sold as generic non-fuel container. Any yellow, red, or blue containers that look like they are fuel containers will be regulated as fuel containers.

IF you did buy a green tank and use it for fuel the EPA wouldn't care--they regulate manufacturers and sellers. Your local fire chief might be the enforcer and if you're on the highway transporting it then the staties would probably be the enforcers.

If you want a good metal gas can look for the OSHA approved industrial "safety cans". I believe they are NOT included in the EPA's definition of Consumer Product Portable Fuel Containers and are still sold.

Last edited:
Gas only lasts a year and a half. Perhaps 2 or more if you're lucky.

I don't think any of us are storing gas for longer than that. If you're looking for longer than 2 years you need to look at storing diesel and used motor oil and buy a multifuel deuce and a half. The best long term SHTF solution I've seen.

So I ordered 4 of the nato metal jerry cans almost two weeks ago. It said they were in stock and I got the confirmation email but I still haven't heard a peep. I rechecked their website and now they no longer even have the 20L tanks listed for sale. It get this same run around when I buy ammo online this year. Is this par for the course in 2012?

Last edited:
Filled my newly acquired cans yesterday after a thorough cleaning and leak check. 15 more gallons stabilized and stored. I cycle mine back into our cars and refill every 6 months.

Filled my newly acquired cans yesterday after a thorough cleaning and leak check. 15 more gallons stabilized and stored. I cycle mine back into our cars and refill every 6 months.

I don't have the cajones to store that much in my garage. Maybe I should build/buy a shed 30 meters away from the house or something. I only have 10 gallons max, which I know isn't a whole lot to keep a generator running for days on end.

Fortunately, my little Honda EU2000i generator sips fuel just like a Civic.

I'm waiting for the thread for when someone reports a gas attendant tells them they can't use the non-red gas can. That's going to be a good thread. Just saying.

Mikem: for storage I would be concerned about the temperature getting hot in a shed. Regardless, make sure you don't overfill--leave at least a 5% air headspace.

I store mine in a small barn that's well ventilated. I keep no less than enough to fill both of our cars and run a generator.

ETA: When the storm came through last fall and the power went out you could not buy gas anywhere within 45 minutes of my house for almost two days.

Last edited:
I finally got my cans on Monday. They are really awesome. It's amazing the quality on the nato ones. I guess they aren't cheap though. hehe should I spray paint them red?

RE: kman
The cans you got are of reasonable quality. I have a few of those myself and they are good. But there are better quality cans out there (e.g. IDF jerry cans). However, better cans either cost too much or simply unavailable in US. FYI, @ $40 these are overpriced. Not long ago they sold them for $28 and about a year ago you could get them for $20 elsewhere. None of my new cans are painted. I only paint old cans which need reconditioning. I use black bedliner on the outside.

RE: mikem317
What’s the difference between 10 gallons and 15 or 20 or 40? None. You can put a full NATO can into a fire and nothing will happen for a while. Only after the gasket melts and gas starts to spill would it ignite. If your home is on fire already, adding 10 vs. 20 gallons of fuel won’t matter much. Not to mention that you might have 50-60 gallons in your cars already or 150 in your boat. Having said that, mine are stored outside in a plastic shed. FYI, I do not store fuel because it’s trendy. I have determined the amounts I might need during various probable scenarios, and I store those amounts. I recommend you do the same. If 10 is all you need – store 10. If it’s 100, well store 100.

RE: Another_David
With quality can, headspace is unnecessary. I always fill mine during the winter and to the very top. So my fuel is cold and would expand the most during summer. But good can has no problems at all dealing with extra pressure. The only issue is if I would try to open the can after it gets hot. It’s tough, but doable if you are not elderly or weak. Furthermore, with less space for air, the fuel stores longer.

Anybody have experience in diesel storage? How long can you do so? I have 2 cars that run on diesel.

Storage timeframes are similar to gas. If properly stored, filtered and used in a right motor – could be longer than gas. Store it in dark cool place without air and use quality multistage filter. You can burn it 1yr later without issues.

I store mine in a small barn that's well ventilated. I keep no less than enough to fill both of our cars and run a generator.

ETA: When the storm came through last fall and the power went out you could not buy gas anywhere within 45 minutes of my house for almost two days.

No shit. My van smelled like gas for a week after that excursion.[smile]

Storage timeframes are similar to gas. If properly stored, filtered and used in a right motor – could be longer than gas. Store it in dark cool place without air and use quality multistage filter. You can burn it 1yr later without issues.

Great. I will definitely look into this and pick it up at lower prices before it spikes.

No spouts available..
i went to the same page another way and it had spouts listed as third item,( a different way the page only list the cans).
i clicked on my link above and now it shows the spouts.
i was able to call them and add two to my order.
part number for the spouts is 213244 and is 7-8 dollars each.
however they are backorder to july 31, i'm in no rush

I just came across this thread and I'm just curious if anyone has made any money or saved any money storing gas after considering the cost of the equipment. Have you saved anything, and how much?

I don't think most of us store gas for money saving purposes. It's all about making sure you have some for an emergency.

Back
Top Bottom