Storing Ammo- Ammunition Storage Permit (MA)

I'm not criticizing or anything like that. I just want to know if they actually crawl down into the basement of the burned out home and try to count 20,001 (rimfire+centerfire) rounds of ammo. I hadn't heard of that before.

How many burned out houses/buildings have you been in?

You may be surprised to know that everything doesn't burn down to a pile of ashes, only on TV/movies.

Yes, if counting them all will result in the insurance company avoiding paying you $200-400K in damages, they will indeed count every round/primer!

Also, I sent the fire chief the following link: Ammunition and the firefighter

It explains a lot about what happens to ammunition should a fire happen.

You'd be surprised. While hanging in my FD waiting on the Chief to get out of a meeting, I found out that 3 FFs on that particular shift own guns and some are gun club members/avid shooters. Our guys seem to know about guns, ammo and the minimal danger posed by ammo in a fire. I don't know how that extrapolates to big city departments.

Who built their own storage magazine?

-Proud to be dad every day, a licensed plumber most days, and wish I was a shoemaker on others.

Thanks again for the discussion!
So this got me thinking about home insurance and firearm insurance in particular.... Perhaps this belongs to another thread but...does anyone have firearms insurance?

Sounds like regular home insurance will just cover up to $2,500 for the "theft" of a firearm(s)- not the loss or destruction. I believe the additional coverage is call "valuable personal property insurance."

Anyone familiar with this? My aim was to stay under the radar, but it seems safer to notify the Fire Dept (for ammo) and my home insurance (for guns)!

Only 5,000 in your house? Really? So where do people keep their components? I would think most reloaders have more than 5,000 primers on hand. I got to figure what to do with my 15k primers I have locked up in my basement.

Not advertising it on the internet might be a good start.

-Mike

How many burned out houses/buildings have you been in?
Not a lot. That's why I asked the question.

Yes, if counting them all will result in the insurance company avoiding paying you $200-400K in damages, they will indeed count every round/primer!
If you actually know of such cases, wherein insurance didn't pay out because of the owner not having a town ammo permit, then I will double down and make absolute sure I always stay under the "no permit required" limits. There is simply no way I would ever want to go on a public record stating (or even suggesting) that my home contains an ammo super-stash.

Thanks again for the discussion!
So this got me thinking about home insurance and firearm insurance in particular.... Perhaps this belongs to another thread but...does anyone have firearms insurance?

Sounds like regular home insurance will just cover up to $2,500 for the "theft" of a firearm(s)- not the loss or destruction. I believe the additional coverage is call "valuable personal property insurance."

Anyone familiar with this? My aim was to stay under the radar, but it seems safer to notify the Fire Dept (for ammo) and my home insurance (for guns)!

Notifying your homeowners insurance company that you own guns could end badly for you. Some companies will allegedly cancel your policy if they find that info out or others demand a list with S/Ns or may not insure you if you own evil (in their eyes) rifles. There are 3rd party options that are even cheaper than the rider on your HO policy. Use the Advanced Search mechanism here for "insurance" in the subject line and you'll find a few threads with all the info you need. [There are also reports here of companies asking intrusive questions when a few members tried to get insured and was forced to disclose that they owned guns!]

Not a lot. That's why I asked the question.

If you actually know of such cases, wherein insurance didn't pay out because of the owner not having a town ammo permit, then I will double down and make absolute sure I always stay under the "no permit required" limits. There is simply no way I would ever want to go on a public record stating (or even suggesting) that my home contains an ammo super-stash.

When I worked for an electric utility in the meter department (NU Co-Op) part of our job was retrieving the electric meters (for billing purposes) after a fire. So I've been to a church that was still blazing away, house that was still smoldering, a barn where animals were killed (the stench was unbelievable), all part of the job.

I did a walk-thru of my SIL's house after her house fire (insurance declared it a total loss), there were still plenty of things quite recognizable in the house/garage (where fire started). It's just that everything was damaged by smoke and/or water/stench.

The number of fires where the entire building collapses into the basement and all that is left is ash is infinitesimal in urban/suburban areas with paid fire departments.

House near me caught fire and my Wife and I were first to spot it and report it. A few days later I stopped by as the owner was outside (we had met them once before) and had a chat with him. Everyone was at work when the fire started (determined to be from an air purifier under the bed). He told me that the State Fire Marshal's Office sent investigators with an accelerant-sniffing dog to go thru the house after the fire. His insurance company also sent investigators to determine that nothing was funky. I think it was over the top for the type of fire, but that is currently what is done (this happened 2 years ago).

Back
Top Bottom