• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Suggestions for C&R pistols/revolvers?

I've had my C&R for almost a year and so far have only three guns on it. I am much more into shooting handguns than long guns. I have already picked up a CZ-82 and CZ-52. Both were amazing deals as far as I'm concerned, I got both for under $300 combined.
Anyone have another suggestion for an affordable C&R pistol or revolver that would make a good addition?
I'm thinking of a Tokarev because it shares the ammo with the CZ-52 but Nagant revolvers for $70 look good too.
Any cheap shooters (under $300) I can buy on my C&R that I'm missing?

I dont have any handguns but I have heard very good things about the nagant revolver, and the tokerev tt33.

The ONLY thing good about Nagant revolvers are that they are cheap.

They suck. They have a trigger pull that will sprain your finger, they shoot anemic ammo and their ergonomics in general suck.

If you want a good sample of what a revolver should NOT be, buy one.

I tried one at the MilSurp shoot, and honestly, I do not understand why ANYONE would buy one of those pieces of crap. Go for the Tokarev instead, and keep looking for a C&R 1911.

The Nagant revolvers aren't that bad.

The trigger pull is lousy but what lots of people forget when they shoot surplus guns is that these were never meant to be shot for enjoyment. These are guns designed to kill an enemy in battle.

You have to take them what they are and thats collectable military guns.

That said, if I were you I'd get both a Nagant revolver and a Romanian Tokarev. You can also keep your eyes open for a Polish Tokarev. I hear they're much better than the Romanian ones and when they pop up, they're only about $50 more.

Check these out a Makarov in 9mm Mak (I sold my CZ-82 and kept my Mak), CZ50 in 32 (probably the most fun plinker I own), Star B in 9mm (like a thinner 1911) finally keep an eye out for an Argentinian 1911 (Ballestor Molina can be had for $225-$400/Colt Sistema more like $600 and up).

Check these out a Makarov in 9mm Mak (I sold my CZ-82 and kept my Mak), CZ50 in 32 (probably the most fun plinker I own), Star B in 9mm (like a thinner 1911) finally keep an eye out for an Argentinian 1911 (Ballestor Molina can be had for $225-$400/Colt Sistema more like $600 and up).

Forgot about the Star B pistols. They're good quality and cheap too, about $200.

You use a C&R to buy Firearms? No kidding. I use mine mostly to get discounts from Brownells. [smile]

I own a Nagant. Interesting pistol. Ammo tends to be on the pricy side. Look for a .32 ACP cylinder to bring shooting costs down. Makarov is worth looking at.

Ok I've got a source for the Nagant and the Tokarev. I'm having a hard time finding the Star and the CZ-50. Those would be the best choices for me as they fire readily available ammo and would make good range shooters.
Anyone know where I can find those? Gunbroker had one or two stars but both were almost $400. You can PM me if you want to protect your MA source but I'm in NH so if you have a source that is a no go for MA let me know here.

XXXXX has had the CZ-50s in from time to time. They come and go pretty quickly though. The Stars aren't available in any quantity right now, the last batch came in a year or so ago. XXXXX used to have a bunch of Supers in 9mm Largo that were cheap, but I don't know if they still have their FFL or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
War time P-38. Not as cheap as the Nagants or CZ's but off the chart in terms of cool factor (IMO). There are a few dealers that have them in stock.

Do you know of a dealer that has them? I wouldn't mind getting one of these when my C&R comes in.

These were sold by a single distributor but have all dried up with the exception of finding an auction site listing. Good news is the prices haven't risen.[wink]

North Shore firearms in Danvers has a Star 9mm for sale. be careful with the CZ 50's especially if you accidently drop it. The safety will block the trigger, not the firing pin so it WILL fire!! Ask me how I know, I'm still walking with crutches.

I might have mine for sale next month once I get it back from the local PD

The Star 9mm at North Shore is a Star BM. That is a modern gun probably made in the 80's and a great little gun (I have one) sort of a compact version of the full size Star B.

Beansie check for a PM.

Ditto on the Star Pistols, the Star B in 9mm luger is a C&R and a copy of a 40's colt 1911. The Star Super/A is in 9mm largo and also a C&R. Then there is the Astra 400(1921) in 9mm largo and the Astra 600/43 in 9mm luger too.

The Star BM in 9mm luger is another fun pistol but its not a C&R.

The Chinese Tokarev's, Polish Tolarev's, Romanian Tokarev's, the Hungarian Tokarev's and the Russian tokarev's are fun pistols too.

The russian 1895 nagant is another "different breed revolver" too its unique too. Its priced right now cheap too.

I been thinking of getting more CZ52's and another CZ82 too.

Last edited:
If you really want a CZ50, call North Shore firearms and make an offer on mine. I'd like to move it by this week so I could still get the deal on the PPK's. If it dont sell, I'll just keep it.

Last edited:
The ONLY thing good about Nagant revolvers are that they are cheap.

They suck. They have a trigger pull that will sprain your finger, they shoot anemic ammo and their ergonomics in general suck.

If you want a good sample of what a revolver should NOT be, buy one.

I tried one at the MilSurp shoot, and honestly, I do not understand why ANYONE would buy one of those pieces of crap. Go for the Tokarev instead, and keep looking for a C&R 1911.

Awww, C'mon Ross!

The Nagant model 1895 is a wondrous piece of history!

Like the Kalashnikov, it is a prime example of what happens when a designer winds up having to puts everything into manufacturing expedience and reliability under harsh conditions.

It is also happens to be the only revolver model that will push the head of the case into the forcing cone of the barrel, sealing the path for the bullet. It emits no blast at the gap between the cylinder and the barrel.

It is also the only double action revolver I've seen with a loading gate.
It is also the only revolver I've seen that allows you to turn the cylinder with the gate closed. (as seen in The Deer Hunter Russian Roulette scenes)

And that firing pin! The look on newbie faces when you go to demonstrate the "sacrifice the thumb" de-cocking procedure is priceless.

Yeah, the cylinder moving was not done to make it able to take a suppressor, but is an attempt to patch that "anemic ammo" problem, and bring the muzzle velocity up to something reasonable. It is also responsible for that insanely heavy trigger pull.

And I'll confess, I haven't shot mine and am unsure whether or not I will.

I got one because I like wierd stuff and it was cheap. I do have fun with it at every pistol class I bring it to.

I've fired a few cylinders out of mine with Prvi ammo. It's pleasant to shoot, except for that awful trigger from hell.

Since I just received an e-mail stating that the job I applied for was filled by someone else, I decided to take it out on my wallet. I just ordered a Czech CZ-52, dated 1952. I have been looking for a '52 since that was the year I was born and the first one that I or the seller had ever seen! Can't wait for it to arrive![smile]

Since I just received an e-mail stating that the job I applied for was filled by someone else, I decided to take it out on my wallet. I just ordered a Czech CZ-52, dated 1952. I have been looking for a '52 since that was the year I was born and the first one that I or the seller had ever seen! Can't wait for it to arrive![smile]

Its an ugly but fun gun to shoot, just like the Nagant revolver. Don't sweat the ammo costs or availability, its all part of collecting curios.[wink]

The best thing is to take into consideration is that you are getting a handgun delivered straight to your door for cheap money.

Thanks Ray. I had a CZ-50 that I purchased a few years ago from Kittery Trading Post but sold it because I had a hard time seeing the sights. Now that I have my prescription shooting glasses, watch out! Ammo doesn't appear to be a problem. Any particular country's ammo to be aware of?

Just be sure not to dry fire the CZ 52. They are known for brittle firing pins and break easily. There actually are some distributors that sell stainless steel pins for the CZ 52. Check around, google search even check gunbroker and maybe you can find one...just in case. Have fun!

Just be sure not to dry fire the CZ 52. They are known for brittle firing pins and break easily. There actually are some distributors that sell stainless steel pins for the CZ 52. Check around, google search even check gunbroker and maybe you can find one...just in case. Have fun!

Thanks. Will do on all accounts!

There was a thread a while back about dangerous 7.62x25 ammo. Pretty sure it was considered too hot for the CZ52 and was meant more for semi or full auto guns like a PPSH.

Vellnueve found it once but I can't remember if he found the definite link for info or not.

If anyone can find the correct info, I'll make sure the info gets posted as a sticky as I know this question has come up on the forum a few times before and should be made known.

Last edited:
There was a thread a while back about dangerous 7.62x25 ammo. Pretty sure it was considered too hot for the CZ52 and was meant more for semi or full auto guns like a PPSH.

Vellnueve found it once but I can't remember if he found the definite link for info or not.

If anyone can find the correct info, I'll make sure the info gets posted as a sticky as I know this question has come up on the forum a few times before and should be made known.

http://www.ppsh41.com/interarm.htm

Ask and ye shall receive

Back
Top Bottom