• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Suggestions for MA Non-Resident NRA Course

Hello,
I live about 1 mile north of the MA border. As a result of my location and surrounding roads, i need to drive through MA or into MA for nearly every range in NH as well as all the MA shoots. Even driving to most NH ranges forces me onto 495 in MA to get there unless i want to drive backroads for hours.

I know I am covered for most actual matches that I can print flyers, etc etc, but the risk seems pretty high that at SOME point i may be pulled over with my pistols and rifles and have to go through hell depending on the officer. I also have to unload, lock up, then reholster if i want to carry in NH since id be in deep doo-doo if i was carrying and pulled over .1 miles into MA on the way to my range and wasnt licensed in MA for ccw.

As a result, I am going to pny up and get my MA Nonresident LTC that will allow me to carry in MA and not worry. 100$ a year is worth my piece of mind.

I believe that as a NH resident, ill still need to complete a NRA certified course. Ive been shooting all my life and am looking for the path of least resistance to get this certification, both monitarily and time-wise.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a course that will fit the MA non-resident LTC requirements that is moderately priced and relatively quick?

I do private courses most anytime. PM or EMail if you're interested. (Westford, Mass, just off Route 3, 2 exits south of Nashua)

Ken

A retired police officer and I are offering the NRA Home Firearms Responsibility course at Hopkinton Sportmens http://www.hsasports.com this Saturday from 9AM - 1PM. This will include the state certificate and meets the requirement for an LTC.

MA requires a MA approved course from a MA certified instructor, not an "NRA Course" (although many NRA courses are approved courses, they only "count" if offered by a MA certified instructor)

This is the minimal NRA course, and is oriented towards how to safely deal with firearms in the home.

The NRA course does not include live fire, but we're going to have some after the class. (We do not deviate from the NRA outline for the actual course). The course is not the equivalent of a 12 hour course that emphasizes actual shooting, however, it is the "quickest, easiest and cheapest" way to meet the statuatory requirement. I already have a couple of people with zero gun experience signed up so, if you are en experienced shooter who just needs the certificate, you will have to bear with as we go through the material at the "newcomers pace."

We are not grizzled veterans with war stories to tell or claims of having invented our own tactical doctrine - but we do offer a decent "local level" intro course.

Cost is $50.00, and all profits go to the club.

PM me if you want to sign up.

If you take a private course from KMaurer, you can also get "Utah certification" that enables you to mail order a UT permit. I am not able to offer UT certification in my course, so you may find prefer to use his services instead if this is of interest to you.

Last edited:
Ooooh wish i was around this weekend! Ill check back with you, Ken and try the suggestion of cross-x as well. Im thinking of having my GF come with me. Shes not into guns AT ALL, but i think its the only way she'd legally be allowed pepperspray in MA as a NH resident since theres no such thing as a non-res FID

NRA Basic Pistol course in Nashua on August 18

Neshooters is conducting a NRA Basic Pistol course on August 18, at the Horse Pond Fish and Game Club in Nashua, NH. This is the full course and does include shooting. This course meets all of the Mass requirements for an non resident licence. The cost for a non club member is only $40.00 and the course will run all day starting at 8:00 AM

If that date does not work out for you, I strongly recommend Ken Maurer, also of Neshooters.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom