Suggestions on a good club near Haverhill?

I got my LTC a couple years ago, and put off joining a club at the time. (Was traveling 2-3 times a month, and all of a sudden time flew by). Recently started searching around, reading through the forums to figure out what club might be a good fit. I know HHRG is close by and Harvard Sportsman is apparently great (but a little far drive from me in Haverhill). [Both recommendations from Dirtypacman, thank you!] I wanted to see what people thought of these or if there were any other recommendations of what I should check out nearby.

I had combed through the thread that had a bit about HHRG implementing RSOs and looked over the current schedule of RSOs and it looks like it is mostly only during mornings and early afternoon which made me a bit unsure about how happy I would be only being able to use the range during hours I am usually at work (during the week) or with everyone else looking to get some time in during the weekend. It kind of dampens the allure of joining a club nearby if I can’t use the facilities for chunks of the day. (Though obviously the RSOs are volunteering their time so I would never knock them for not giving all their time so that someone can shoot whenever the fancy strikes them) Any current members care to weigh in?

I looked through the Andover Sportsman’s club and that seemed too look nice from the site, and the indoor range is 24/7 which would be convenient. Does anyone have any experience with this club?

I looked over the Plaistow Fish and Game site, and they look friendly and it is fairly near to where I live, so didn’t know if that was something to look into.

I know in the end it all comes down to getting out from behind the computer and checking them out in person, just wanted to fish for thoughts and options before I went and started the pounding the pavement step. (Sorry for the long post, didn’t want to look like some new guy who just posted without doing any research.)

I am a member at Andover Sportsmen's Club, and it is a good club. People are nice and usually very helpful. The outdoor ranges are open after 9am and close at dusk, and they shoot trap wednesday night and skeet & 5 stand Thursday night and trap Sunday morning after breakfast. You do not need a RSO to shoot. Another club near Haverhill is Country Pond F&G in Newton, NH. Check their web also. Woburn Sportsmen's Assn. is also a very good club. Good luck.

I got my LTC a couple years ago, and put off joining a club at the time. (Was traveling 2-3 times a month, and all of a sudden time flew by). Recently started searching around, reading through the forums to figure out what club might be a good fit. I know HHRG is close by and Harvard Sportsman is apparently great (but a little far drive from me in Haverhill). [Both recommendations from Dirtypacman, thank you!]

I live 5 minutes from the Wayland Rod & Gun Club, where I've been a member for more than 15 years. It is a good club but it is small with limited facilities. I don't think I've shot at WR&GC for at least two years. Instead, I drive ~40 minutes to Harvard Sportsmen's Club.

I shoot IDPA and USPSA, so I drive to HSC, grab a pit, set up my targets, and start practicing. The last time I was practicing at HSC, I set up targets at 25', 50', and 75', and practiced drawing from the holster and firing two shots at each target. I practiced both starting at the 25' target and at the 75' target, timing my runs. I did some Bill Drills, and also practiced shooting on the move. HHRG is a nice club, but you can't do that type of shooting at HHRG.

If you are into action pistol or defensive shooting, then Harvard is worth the drive. If you want to shoot skeet and trap, then Harvard is not the place for you.

Went through the Andover club with YANICI and it was a great time, and it is a really nice club. Also, got to shoot the s&w Shield, can't say I did well but with YANICI's advice I certainly started to get better on target near the end.

I live in Haverhill and was a member of HHRG right before the SHTF and they implemented RSO's. A good club, friendly people. The whole RSO and shooting through tubes on the rifle range turned me off. My schedule is hectic, so range time varies. Nothing against them, but not being able to go whenever I wanted to is not what I was looking for.
I joined Pelham F&G about 2 years ago and love it. It's not crowded, no RSO's, nice ranges, and they sit on something like 300 acres, so you don't have to worry about the neighbors complaing all the time.

You may want to check out Country Pond Fish & Game Club. We have quite a few Members from the Haverhill area.
Supposedly that was part of the problem that led to CPF&G closing the membership--too much riffraff from Haverhill. Now people who live in the same NH town as the club cannot get in. The whole sponsorship/liability model is a non-starter for anyone who has any sense, and prospective members who work are not going to be able to attend enough bean suppers to cozy up to prospective members.

Supposedly that was part of the problem that led to CPF&G closing the membership--too much riffraff from Haverhill. Now people who live in the same NH town as the club cannot get in. The whole sponsorship/liability model is a non-starter for anyone who has any sense, and prospective members who work are not going to be able to attend enough bean suppers to cozy up to prospective members.

I'm a bit confused with this post. I'm looking for a club in the haverhill area as I was just reassigned at work and the club I belong to now will be too much of a drive. Are you a member of cpfg and saying don't bother if I'm "riffraff from haverhill"? I won't waste my time I'd that's what yohbr saying.

Last edited:
I'm a bit confused with this post. I'm looking for a club in the haverhill area as I was just reassigned at work and the club I belong to now will be too much of a drive. Are you a member of cpfg and saying don't bother if I'm "riffraff from haverhill"? I won't waste my time I'd that's what yohbr saying.

I'll give another vote for Andover. I became a member there this year and the club fits my needs nicely.

I'm not a member of CPFG but they run several events that are open to the public and I started going to the outdoor bowling pin shoots with my son this year. I discovered that it is a lot more fun to shoot at something other than paper. All of the members that I met are good people, as are those who organize and run the events.

It may be worthwhile for you to check out one of the public events at the club. It would give you a chance to get a better feel for the club and its members.

Good luck with your choice.

-Mark

I'll give another vote for Andover. I became a member there this year and the club fits my needs nicely.

I'm not a member of CPFG but they run several events that are open to the public and I started going to the outdoor bowling pin shoots with my son this year. I discovered that it is a lot more fun to shoot at something other than paper. All of the members that I met are good people, as are those who organize and run the events.

It may be worthwhile for you to check out one of the public events at the club. It would give you a chance to get a better feel for the club and its members.

-Mark

I plan to check out the public events at CPFG. It is all part of chosing the club that not only fits my needs but that I can also put some time into as well. It pains me to leave the club I'm at......I don't just "shoot and screw".......I put time in and help out with events etc.............but a 45 minute drive each way cuts into "home time" with the wife who is not as into shooting sports as me and the boy so I'm looking for something closer.

As I don't know what the "atmosphere" is at CPFG I thought I would ask "dispositionmatrix" to expand on his statement about Haverhill folks joining.......sounded like he is implying there is a riff going on at the club regarding this and I definately don't want drama.......

-Mark

Heard great things about Andover as well........thining a trip there this Sunday morning for the "tour" they advertise on the website sounds good. Do you know if they have a capped membership right now or are the taking new members/

Are you a member of cpfg and saying don't bother if I'm "riffraff from haverhill"? I won't waste my time I'd that's what yohbr saying.
No. That is not what I am saying. A CPF&G RO used the word "riffraff" when explaining to me why they had changed the membership rules. He stated because the Haverhill club had closed, CPF&G had gotten a large influx of members, including riffraff from Haverhill. I had been explaining to him that I lived in the same town as CPF&G and was frustrated that it was now much more difficult for my wife and I to get memberships when he offered the explanation before telling me to come to bean suppers if I want a chance at getting in. Prospective members must now be sponsored by a member in good standing who has been so for at least two years. That member in good standing takes on _full liability_ for the actions of the prospective member. Sounds like unreasonably high risk and quite a lot to ask of anyone.

I am sure you'll get right in, so no need to worry about it.

No. That is not what I am saying. A CPF&G RO used the word "riffraff" when explaining to me why they had changed the membership rules. He stated because the Haverhill club had closed, CPF&G had gotten a large influx of members, including riffraff from Haverhill. I had been explaining to him that I lived in the same town as CPF&G and was frustrated that it was now much more difficult for my wife and I to get memberships when he offered the explanation before telling me to come to bean suppers if I want a chance at getting in. Prospective members must now be sponsored by a member in good standing who has been so for at least two years. That member in good standing takes on _full liability_ for the actions of the prospective member. Sounds like unreasonably high risk and quite a lot to ask of anyone.

I am sure you'll get right in, so no need to worry about it.

OK cool. Thanks for the explaination. Was tough for me to decipher at first what you meant.......and with HHRG closing I thought you were saying there was some "drama" within the club.........from new members from Haverhill.

Doesnt sound like that is the case.

Thanks.......I'm going to check out 3 or 4 places before making up my mind. Its a big decision.

I got my LTC a couple years ago, and put off joining a club at the time. (Was traveling 2-3 times a month, and all of a sudden time flew by). Recently started searching around, reading through the forums to figure out what club might be a good fit. I know HHRG is close by and Harvard Sportsman is apparently great (but a little far drive from me in Haverhill). [Both recommendations from Dirtypacman, thank you!] I wanted to see what people thought of these or if there were any other recommendations of what I should check out nearby.

I had combed through the thread that had a bit about HHRG implementing RSOs and looked over the current schedule of RSOs and it looks like it is mostly only during mornings and early afternoon which made me a bit unsure about how happy I would be only being able to use the range during hours I am usually at work (during the week) or with everyone else looking to get some time in during the weekend. It kind of dampens the allure of joining a club nearby if I can’t use the facilities for chunks of the day. (Though obviously the RSOs are volunteering their time so I would never knock them for not giving all their time so that someone can shoot whenever the fancy strikes them) Any current members care to weigh in?

I looked through the Andover Sportsman’s club and that seemed too look nice from the site, and the indoor range is 24/7 which would be convenient. Does anyone have any experience with this club?

I looked over the Plaistow Fish and Game site, and they look friendly and it is fairly near to where I live, so didn’t know if that was something to look into.

I know in the end it all comes down to getting out from behind the computer and checking them out in person, just wanted to fish for thoughts and options before I went and started the pounding the pavement step. (Sorry for the long post, didn’t want to look like some new guy who just posted without doing any research.)

Check out Danvers Fish & Game (DF&G) in Middleton, as it is within your driving range. The indoor range just went through close to a $1M overhaul with a state-of-the-art ventilation system (that included other upgrades to the indoor facility). It is scheduled to re-open this month. The club has just about everything, Indoor/outdoor shooting range, indoor/outdoor archery, steel plate, pin shooting, trap, 5-stand, skeet, frontier/cowboy, fishing, etc. However, like most clubs, DF&G cannot accommodate the needs of everyone.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...goHQAg&usg=AFQjCNFN487_HaMd8XkMEBnB2FbmLvh1TQ

Whacko, just be careful. Read the range rules at each club. Some require a range safety officer to shoot. Some indoor ranges allow only lead bullets indoors and/or that targets be set at the 50' backstop. BTW, neither applies at Andover.

Whacko, just be careful. Read the range rules at each club. Some require a range safety officer to shoot. Some indoor ranges allow only lead bullets indoors and/or that targets be set at the 50' backstop. BTW, neither applies at Andover.

Thanks. I'm planning to stop by Sunday morning at Andover.......web page says 0830 for an open house tour........who do I ask to see?

Go at 8 AM or earlier and eat. If you just ask the guys who are working the kitchen, they'll point you in the right direction.

A CPF&G RO used the word "riffraff" when explaining to me why they had changed the membership rules. He stated because the Haverhill club had closed, CPF&G had gotten a large influx of members, including riffraff from Haverhill. I had been explaining to him that I lived in the same town as CPF&G and was frustrated that it was now much more difficult for my wife and I to get memberships when he offered the explanation before telling me to come to bean suppers if I want a chance at getting in. Prospective members must now be sponsored by a member in good standing who has been so for at least two years. That member in good standing takes on _full liability_ for the actions of the prospective member. Sounds like unreasonably high risk and quite a lot to ask of anyone.

I don't know who you were talking to, but it probably wasn't a Club Range Officer, since we don't have bean suppers at the Club, and an RO would likely know that. (Club ROs have a badge like this one.)

At any rate, "riffraff" is not limited to any particular geographic location. Country Pond did not change its membership policies because of a few people from Haverhill. We really have no idea where the irresponsible members were from. The sponsorship program was instituted to ensure that the Club includes only those people who can be trusted to behave in a safe and responsible manner around firearms. Would you be comfortable on the firing line with people who weren't safe? At CPF&G Club, we are VERY easy going about rules, regulations, and restrictions that are not safety related. Unlike some other clubs, at CPF&G: Yes, you may use the ranges anytime they're open, without an RO present; No, you're not limited to one round every five seconds; Yes, you may put a full magazine in your semi-auto; No, there is no caliber restriction on the outdoor range; and Yes, you can use jacketed bullets on the indoor range (unless you're shooting something more potent than a 44 Magnum). We do not, however, put up with unsafe behavior... and you shouldn't either.

If you were to attend any of our public events, I'm sure you'd find that we're a pretty friendly bunch of people. Besides our regular events that are open to the public, we're having our annual open house on National Hunting and Fishing Day, 27 September, from 09:00 to 15:00. Come down and check us out.

Last edited:
I don't know who you were talking to, but it probably wasn't a Club Range Officer, since we don't have bean suppers at the Club, and an RO would likely know that. (Club ROs have a badge like this one.)

At any rate, "riffraff" is not limited to any particular geographic location. Country Pond did not change its membership policies because of a few people from Haverhill. We really have no idea where the irresponsible members were from. The sponsorship program was instituted to ensure that the Club includes only those people who can be trusted to behave in a safe and responsible manner around firearms. Would you be comfortable on the firing line with people who weren't safe? At CPF&G Club, we are VERY easy going about rules, regulations, and restrictions that are not safety related. Unlike some other clubs, at CPF&G: Yes, you may use the ranges anytime they're open, without an RO present; No, you're not limited to one round every five seconds; Yes, you may put a full magazine in your semi-auto; No, there is no caliber restriction on the outdoor range; and Yes, you can use jacketed bullets on the indoor range (unless you're shooting something more potent than a 44 Magnum). We do not, however, put up with unsafe behavior... and you shouldn't either.

If you were to attend any of our public events, I'm sure you'd find that we're a pretty friendly bunch of people. Besides our regular events that are open to the public, we're having our annual open house on National Hunting and Fishing Day, 27 September, from 09:00 to 15:00. Come down and check us out.
I concur with all you present about safety! Thanks for the reply. I plan to check out the club and shoot a couple of rounds of trap this weekend.

I don't know who you were talking to, but it probably wasn't a Club Range Officer, since we don't have bean suppers at the Club,...
It most definitely was an RO. ”Bean supper" is just an analog for _spaghetti dinner_ , events, or whatever you have. I do not recall specifically what the RO called it. He was, however, very clear on the Haverhill club, and riffraff was his word, not mine.

Thanks. I'm planning to stop by Sunday morning at Andover.......web page says 0830 for an open house tour........who do I ask to see?

My son and I will be there Sunday morning for breakfast which is open to the public and is $4 per and goes from 8 to 9. Someone will be able to give a tour while trap is going on. It is a good club. Been a member since Dec. '13.

My son and I will be there Sunday morning for breakfast which is open to the public and is $4 per and goes from 8 to 9. Someone will be able to give a tour while trap is going on. It is a good club. Been a member since Dec. '13.

Breakfast starts at 7:30 if you're so inclined.

Back
Top Bottom