Suggetsions on a good practice session

JimConway

Instructor
Saw this on-line at the web site for Law Officer. The article details ideas for a good practice session with minimal round expenditure. http://www.lawofficer.com/news-and-articles/articles/lom/0410/what_should_i_practice.html

This piece was written by Dave Spaulding. If you do not know who he is, shame on you

What Should I Practice?
Dry & live fire options

Dave Spaulding
Law Officer Volume 4 Issue 10
2008 Oct 23
One of the most common questions I receive from readers or students is, "What should I practice?" It's a legitimate question, especially with skyrocketing ammunition prices. Recently, I was at the local Wal-Mart buying some Winchester White Box 9mm ammo (the cheapest I can find) and paid $19.23 for 100 rounds. I noticed that .40 S&W of the same brand was $28.12 and .45 ACP was just under $30!

This no doubt affects law enforcement agencies in how much ammunition they can purchase, but also the individual officer who might want to keep his skills sharp while paying the mortgage, car payment, buying groceries, clothing and all the other things necessary for daily life. Since blowing up ammo needlessly is certainly recognized as expensive, we need to shoot our limited ammo supply wisely.

I'm a firm believer in fundamentals, and while many officers get bored practicing basics, these basic skills are necessary to prevail in a fight. I don't know who said, "Advanced skills are the basics mastered," (many have laid claim to it), but it's true. Thus, practicing basics is a great place to start.

A Dry Run
Fortunately, many fundamental skills are mastered without firing a shot. Dry fire is the best way to improve draw, reload, malfunction clearances (using dummy rounds), shooting around cover (with a mirror at the opposing side to see how much you expose of yourself), one-hand manipulation, unconventional shooting positions (kneeling, prone, on the side, "roll back", etc.) and any other skill that doesn't require actual trigger manipulation. The purchase of a dry fire training aid such as the Beamhit) can give first shot feedback via a laser fit into the barrel of your carry gun.

Before beginning any dry fire training program, make double, triple and quadruple sure that your gun is empty and that no live ammo is in the room with you. A capable dry fire pad, such as the one manufactured by Safe Direction, is a very good idea. That way, if you suffer a "brain fart," the round will be captured harmlessly and a valuable lesson learned.

The Real Deal
Now that we've narrowed the skills needed for live fire practice, let's look at when we do need live ammo.

The two skills that must be practiced live fire are trigger and recoil control. Trigger control is the most important skill required for accurate shooting and the most difficult to master. In a nutshell, the index finger on the shooting hand presses the trigger to the rear, working independently of the rest of the hand, without interrupting muzzle to target alignment.

Think about how many times a day you open and close your hand, using the thumb and fingers in concert with one another. Then you can get some idea of how complex this action really is! Taking this into consideration, is it really hard to understand why shooters squeeze their whole hand when they shoot, something I call "milking the grip?"

Independent trigger control requires intense concentration and needs to be mastered before all other skills. It must be practiced regularly, as it's the most perishable of a skill set that's already very perishable. Luckily, recoil control isn't quite as difficult and is really a function of upper body position and applying forward force to a pistol.

To the Range
With the previous thoughts in mind as I head to the range, I start out with a few timed drills to see where I'm at. I like to do these drills "cold," as I believe they are a better indicator of performance than after I have shot for a while. Remember, it's unlikely you'll have just come from a practice session at the range when your gunfight occurs. You'll more than likely be "cold" as well.

I shoot these drills at 20 feet on the Law Enforcement Targets' DST-5 target. Only hits in the 8" Primary Neutralization Zone in the high chest count. I consider live fire a confirmation of the dry practice drills. I do each drill twice—anyone can get lucky and perform a single session well. One after another is more telling.

These are the drills I perform:

One shot from ready in 1 second;
One shot from the holster in 1.5 seconds; One shot, reload, one shot in 3 seconds; Draw, two shots, reload, two shots on two targets in 4 seconds; "Bill Drill" of draw and shoot six shots looking for a consistent time between each shot in 3 seconds or less; El Presidente' Drill (10 yards on three targets, turn 180 degrees, shoot two shots on each target, reload, shoot two shots on each target again in 10 seconds or less; and John Farnum's "DTI Dance" (see January 2008 issue of Law Officer). These drills take 15–20 minutes and consume 70 rounds. You may decide to shorten this test to conserve ammo. To me, they give an idea of where I am lacking and what to work on. But don't shoot any faster than you can hit! A "lucky run" isn't educational, only deceiving. These drills should be learning points, not ego gratifiers. Also, you have just spent around $20—make it worthwhile.

Trigger Focus
I then shoot several magazines focusing on trigger control, which, as previously stated, is one area where dry fire does not suffice. I start at 10 feet, shooting the small dots on the bottom of the DST-5 target, going agonizingly slow, trying to shoot one jagged hole. I focus completely on what my hands are doing, making them control the trigger and not milking the entire grip, find the reset point and then smoothly pressing through the trigger action.

I also take note of my body position, making sure my shoulders are over my toes. I move back 5 feet at a time, shooting 5 to 6 rounds at each distance, trying to stay on the 3"-dot, concentrating on "sight, press." Somewhere around 30–35 feet, I start to miss the 3"-dot and move to the larger, 5"-dots and work my way back to 50 feet or so. By this time, I have fired 100 rounds, give or take, so if the ammo supply is low, I stop.

More Practice
If I have additional ammo available, I then work on delivering the gun to the target from one of several "ready" positions, ensuring the delivery is consistent and feels right. The felt aspects of shooting are grossly under-rated. I then move to the draw stroke, making sure it's consistent and direct to the target. Think of the draw stroke as an upside-down L with the gun coming up and out from the holster, directly to the target.

Lateral movement should be part of this drill. I also work on picking up the front sight in my field of vision as quickly as possible. Make sure you practice with the same carry gear that you use daily, including a concealing garment. Add a few drills, which simulate combat conditions, while kneeling or from extreme close quarters, and you will have a reasonable 200-round practice session.

No, these drills do not account for all of what might happen in a gunfight, but understand there's no way to prepare for any conflict. History has shown that the person who prevails in armed conflict is the one who can keep his head and decide which of their practiced skills will solve the problem at hand. The officer that never practices is the one who will fail to decide. Stay safe, stay alert and practice your skills often.

Dave Spaulding is a 28-year law-enforcement veteran, retiring at the rank of lieutenant. He currently works for a federal security contractor. He's worked in all facets of law enforcement—corrections, communications, patrol, evidence collection, investigations, undercover operations, training and SWAT—and has authored more than 800 articles for various firearm and law enforcement periodicals. He is also the author of the best-selling books Defensive Living and Handgun Combatives.

Shame on me then, because I didn't know who he was. I disagree with his assertion that practicing trigger control requires live fire. I think trigger control is better learned in dry fire and validated with live fire.

ETA: Other than that minor nitpick, I think it's a great article.

Jar
I think that you are both right. For a single shot dry is great for multiple shots live is the only way.

Good point. I'll probably give his routine a try next time I'm at the range. Do you have anything to add on good practice sessions? I took your suggestion a while ago to start and end with a one hole drill, and that's worked well.

What's with the reloading after two shots?

GSG
"What's with the reloading after two shots? Strikes me as very unnecessary."
A drill is not about necessity but rather practicing necessary skills. In this case reloading could simulate either a tactical reload or an empty gun reload.

I few years ago we ended up with some ammo with bad primers. We could have returned it but decided to keep it for practice. The net result was that we got very fast and efficient in MALF clearances. That was some of the best practice ammo that we ever used.

The DTI Dance

I was curious, so I looked up the DTI Dance

Doing the DTI Dance
Real-world practice, in a short period of time.
Dave Spaulding
Law Officer Volume 4 Issue 1
2008 Jan 1
Every firearms instructor I know is always looking for range drills that build street-worthy, fundamental skills. While there are a number of these drills available, many require spending an inappropriate amount of time with one student, which proves difficult if an instructor has 15 or 20 shooters waiting their turn. And although many of these drills are fun, they aren't street-relevant. As instructors, we're in the business of training, not entertaining.

Recently, I came across a drill designed by master firearms instructor John Farnam of Defense Training International or DTI ( www.defense-training.com ) that I think is both economical and efficient. It also strongly anchors several important fundamentals of combative pistolcraft.

I first met John at one of his DTI courses in 1982 and consider him to be one of the great thinkers in the training business. While I may not always agree with him, I listen closely to what he says and think long and hard about it.

The DTI Dance

What John originally called his “DTI Qualification Course” has evolved into what is now referred to as the “DTI Dance.” Once you try the drill and accomplish all tasks during its short time span, you'll understand the reason for the name. Here's what the original drill entails:

The target: An 8''x12'' rectangle placed 10 yards from the shooter.
Scoring: The shooter must hit the target 100 percent of the time. There’s no percentage pass here; it’s all or nothing.
Procedure: The shooter must have a loaded semi-automatic pistol, either concealed or snapped in standard duty gear. The gun’s chamber is loaded, and the magazine holds four live rounds and a single dummy round (not the first or last in the magazine), resulting in five live rounds. A second magazine is in a pouch on the belt and has at least three rounds so the gun doesn’t go to slide-lock at the end of the drill.
On command, the shooter draws and fires five rounds, clearing the malfunction as it occurs. The slide locks open, at which time the shooter speed-loads and fires an additional two rounds. With all hits, the par time is 18 seconds for students and 12 seconds for instructors with all hits. Any miss is a complete failure, so shoot accurately.

On the Range

I know some of you will look at the times and think you’re slow, but understand that when any skill is stacked with another, times for both will decrease considerably. Example: I have no trouble drawing and firing a single round from a concealed holster with a hit in 1.25 seconds. At the same time, I can produce shot-to-shot speed loads in 1.3-1.4 seconds with regularity. However, when I draw and shoot two rounds, reload and shoot two rounds, the draw slows to 1.5 and the reload slows to 1.6-1.7 seconds.

Attempt the drill without prior practice, and you’ll begin to see that the breakdown listed above is actually a challenge. I practice this drill cold every time I go to the range. Shooting the drill after an afternoon of practice isn’t a good indicator of street performance, and I doubt you’ll get into a gun fight on the way home from the range (though stranger things have happened).

When I run this drill, I use the 8'', semi-square, steel MD-CT target from Law Enforcement Targets. This challenging steel target is similar in size to the high chest region of the human torso, so it’s a realistic gauge of shooting skill.

Advanced DTI Dance

John has developed an advanced version of the drill that incorporates the life saving skill of movement. A moving combatant proves harder to hit than a stationary combatant, so practicing shooting fundamentals while moving is an excellent idea. I’ve been thinking about incorporating a moving target, such as LE Target’s DSSP swinging steel plate, into this drill to kick it up a notch. We will see.

I’ll let John explain the updated drill in his own words:

“Facing an 8"x8" target (paper or steel) at 8 meters, the student assumes the interview stance. The student, with a holstered and concealed auto-loading pistol (you can substitute a duty rig here), has live rounds chambered and four additional live rounds in the magazine. One placebo (dummy) round is mixed in with the four. Its position within the magazine is unknown to the shooter. The shooter will have at least one additional magazine, fully charged, with which to reload.

The first command is “start moving.” The student moves laterally left and right until the next command. The student must look backward at least once before the next command is given, which is a single blast from a whistle. The student draws their pistol and faces the target. They must draw while moving laterally and have no finger on the trigger or inside the trigger guard until the next command.

The next command is a beep from an electronic timer. The student must move laterally first and then start shooting. When the shooter encounters the placebo round, they must move laterally as they perform a tap-rack-resume correctly. When the pistol goes to slide lock or the student otherwise determines they are out of ammunition, they must reload correctly, while moving laterally. After reloading, the student must fire two more shots.

The test consists of a total of seven rounds. All seven shots must hit with no safety or procedural errors in 22 seconds or less.” This is tougher than it sounds. There’s a lot going on here in a relatively short period of time. So, I suggest you work on the original drill prior to taking on the updated version. These DTI drills accomplish a great deal of real-world practice and expend little time or ammo. With a single dummy round for each student, an entire line of shooters can complete the drill, one at a time, in a matter of minutes. Practice ammo is becoming hard to acquire and increasingly expensive, so drills like the DTI Dance offer great practice, exceptional skill building and efficient training.

DTI DANCE BREAKDOWN

Drill Phase

Draw and hit first shot:

Student: 3.75 seconds

Instructor: 2.75 sec.

Shot-to-shot time:

Student: 1.5 sec.

Instructor: .75 sec.

Clear malfunction:

Student: 3.5 sec.

Instructor: 2.75 sec.

Reload and fire two shots:

Student: 4.75 sec.

Instructor: 3.5 sec.

We used the DTI dance in a couple of classes last year and it was well received.. In the last class, if I recall corectly, all the students beat the times by a good margin.

Back
Top Bottom