• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Uncle Mas on manual safeties

If you’re training that way, cool.

I had a Shield with manual safety that i had about 3,500 rounds through. When doing a mag change in a pistol class I unknowingly swept the safety on. I did a tap-rack and a mag change and another tap-rack before I figured out what happened. It was….revealing.

I sold the gun the next day and bought the non-safety version.
On a 1911, once I sweep the safety down, my thumb remains on the safety. Modern 1911 safeties are designed so that you have a good grip with your right thumb resting on the safety, so that type of issue is unlikely to happen. There are certainly many handguns with more poorly designed safeties that do not allow for that type of grip.

I took over 150 hours of training courses with a 1911. I never messed up operating the safety. YMMV.

Last edited:
In MA, you'd be charged with illegal storage, count on that!
If it's in my house then, unless I'm alone, the gun can be supervised by another LTC holder.
Otherwise, in a locked car that I'm in direct supervision of or on the ground close enough to supervise but out of instant reach.

And in the grand scheme, that's the easy charge to beat if you're in that scenario.

DUPEEEEE

Still waiting to know how people “look a gun into the holster” in the dark.
If I'm holding onto the only foreign thing (shirt) that coud get jammed in the guard I can reholster safely without looking if i had to. That's another reason i use kydex, you know the holster will receive the gun well.

who is in a rush to reholster?

Signed, "most of nes that carries guns with no safety lever for decades"Thus
So, while I stand by my advocacy for people to CHOOSE manual safeties and train on them, this, right here ^^ is a very good point! I see WAY too much of this in the 'selfie training vids' and GunTuber demos. RE-holstering is not something to rush.

If I'm holding onto the only foreign thing (shirt) that coud get jammed in the guard I can reholster safely without looking if i had to. That's another reason i use kydex, you know the holster will receive the gun well.
With kydex and repetition/training, you also know if something is “off” while slowly reholstering (without looking), at which point you can feel with your thumb to see if a piece of clothing is in there.

On a 1911, once I sweep the safety down, my thumb remains on the safety. Modern 1911 safeties are designed so that you have a good grip with your right thumb resting on the safety, so that type of issue is unlikely to happen.
I want to know more about Kalash's "strong hand grip"! Is it like a Kung Fu grip?
On a 1911 my thumb doesn't comfortably rest on the safety, I have to shift my grip a little. Basically I draw, disengage the safety, and then shift my grip a little. With other guns with thumb safeties it's even worse so I still shoot 1911s but won't carry one. Yes, I realize that I'm probably in the minority on this but handgun fit is pretty subjective (e.g. at the same time I find that Glocks fit my hands perfectly). YMMV indeed.

On a 1911 my thumb doesn't comfortably rest on the safety, I have to shift my grip a little. Basically I draw, disengage the safety, and then shift my grip a little. With other guns with thumb safeties it's even worse so I still shoot 1911s but won't carry one. Yes, I realize that I'm probably in the minority on this but handgun fit is pretty subjective (e.g. at the same time I find that Glocks fit my hands perfectly). YMMV indeed.
Does your 1911 have an extended safety?

Does your 1911 have an extended safety?
It does not. Not sure that would fix it - my thumb doesn't really point directly forward, it sits at an angle.

I'm generally unique though - for instance I hit the mag release with my middle finger instead of my thumb. It's highly unusual, I know, but it works very well for me. The only explanation I've come up with is that most shooters rotate the gun in their hand more than I do - if I pointed it a bit left then my thumb could rest on the safety AND my thumb could reach the mag release. I've tried shooting that way and it really bothered my wrist so I'm sticking with the way I've always shot - like I said it works well for me.

Anyways, I'll stop ranting now.

Maybe he's all for manual safeties because he's not just worried about getting his shirt caught up in the trigger while reholstering, but also that dumb ass rug on his head that has been mentioned several times!

If you're reholstering it would likely mean the threats gone and youll have time to do so safely too
And the chamber and magazine are empty because all the ammunition went down range and hopefully in your target.
who is in a rush to reholster?
Exactly.

With my luck though, I’ll be posting in the ND thread later this week with a story about how ‘I just f***ing shot myself’

Back
Top Bottom