Sully Trigger Guard - Oy....

I never considered myself to be the most skilled person with tools. I do however have a slight knack for intricate projects and once I received the advice about punch size, I set out to install a Defensive Edge "Sully" AR-15 Trigger Guard this evening....

45-minutes and a slightly chewed up front trigger guard rollpin hole later, all I can say is: Thank God I got my old trigger guard back on! This my friends was a nightmare. I figured: Two holes, two pins - what could be easier right? Not. The rear pin went in just fine, but the short stubby front pin would not go in - no matter what I tried. I had the patience of a saint until the 44th minute - then I kind of lost it. I know others have installed these guards successfully and i'd sure like to know what the magic juju was - cause I ain't got it...[frown]

Then, to make matters worse - I could not get my old rollpin back in my old trigger guard - I had to pound the shit out of it - all the while praying I didn't bust the ears...(which I didn't). Looks like I'll be going for a Magpul...I think the Sully is the wrong approach to the right idea...

Anyone who wants mine can have it....I'm out. [slap]

If I remember correctly, when I replaced my trigger guard, I installed front first and back second because the small pin was being a PITA.

I had a different, yet similar experience when I built my first NES lower... installed a standard type guard backwards with the roll pin in the front slot, and took the finish off around part of the front hole... ended up having to saw it off (with very minor iatrogenic damage to the receiver in a nonvisible area) with a dremel.

Mark i hear ya it was a pain for my NES lower however with a pair of needle nose and a glob of wheel grease, it went in..

I lined this thing up perfectly more than a few times and no matter how hard or soft I tapped the pin, it just would not seat...I may give it one more whirl, but am concerned now about getting the rear pin out again. I pounded that puppy in rock solid. This I may stick with it as is, or have someone like JDL do it when I build another upper...I like the idea of a winter guard - just maybe not this one. As much as I adore my Sully Stock, it may have to exist without the matching guard...[wink]

When I started to install the Sully on my 2nd NES lower build, it was clear that the roll pins were too large; so I squeezed them in a vise to close them up a bit more, buffed them shiny on my buffer, and coated them with sizing wax. They went in with a little tapping.

Back
Top Bottom