Supreme Court - NYSRPA v. Bruen - Megathread

see i heard that and my mind simply exploded couldn't believe it ! and still don't lol You will think they should be a green city for ltcs but noooo ! of course none of it matters they 100% had a insane amount of envelops with other Ltcs when i went in today

So, what are the options for a 19 year old today in Massachusetts? If I understand everything correctly, it is pepper/mace spray, low-capacity long arms, and tasers/stun guns on an FID card. No revolvers, pistols, or large capacity long guns and no LTC. Is this correct?

Should she even bother at this point for $100 for the FID? In 2 years, she can have the "full" LTC. I think over 18, you don't need anything to carry pepper/mace spray, right?

Last edited:
I lived there for a while in the 90's and 00's. The police were pretty bad then. I believe it was the 80's when they were robbing banks in town and the FBI had to get involved.
Amazon product ASIN 0933341709View: https://www.amazon.com/Cops-Are-Robbers-Convicted-Corruption/dp/0933341709

dude when i walked in idk if he just happened to be there but he handed it to me and said sorry we couldnt reach you etc ! As i just take the deepest breaths ever LOL

You still should have thrown his keys on his roof, banged his wife, and left an upper-decker for making you take the trip down to the station.

I am certain that it doesn't make a convincing argument to say that the ltc law is invalid therefore the crime of carrying without a license is not valid. I think some lawyers are going to try that and lose. But judges don't like sending someone to jail for a year and a half with no record and might bite.

No chance of diversion where your client can do some classes, charity work, etc and get the issue squashed in a year?
While everyone one of us wants a great case to move forward but I'm reticent to ask someone to accept the extreme risk involved for my sake.

No chance of diversion where your client can do some classes, charity work, etc and get the issue squashed in a year?
While everyone one of us wants a great case to move forward but I'm reticent to ask someone to accept the extreme risk involved for my sake.
no I know people think diversion or some sneaky trick exists to get out from the mandatory sentence but the usual options are win suppression or win at trial.

Does anybody have a GOOD example of a police website, post Bruen? Could people go and check their police websites please?

I'm thinking things can be simplified greatly. Won't this reduce the "burden" and time consumed?

I would guess it would be pretty simple for renewal:
1. Print and fill out form from FRB.
2. Bring in form and $100.
3. Wait for license.

For new applications:
2. Take class.
3. Bring in form, class paperwork, and $100, possibly letters of reference/recommendation.
4. Make and go to appointment. Guessing this is for fingerprinting purposes.
5. Wait for license

Would those be the most simple of steps? Missing anything?

Last edited:
Does anybody have a GOOD example of a police website, post Bruen?

I'm thinking things can be simplified greatly. Won't this reduce the "burden" and time consumed?

3. Wait for license.

For new applications:
2. Take class.
3. Bring in form, class paperwork, and $100, possibly letters of reference/recommendation.
5. Wait for license

Should this be a thing? or at least parts removed?

An applicant for a License To Carry Firearms, must be 21 years old, not be a “prohibited person” as defined in G.L. c. 140, §131, and deemed to be a suitable person.

Does anybody have a GOOD example of a police website, post Bruen? Could people go and check their police websites please?

3. Wait for license.

For new applications:
2. Take class.
5. Wait for license

I just checked mine. It's a good website normally, simple and direct, with clear links. It still is... except that all the first-time applicant/renewal links are now... no longer links . Just text.

I'm sure they're formulating a policy, which they then have to get approved by Town Hall and, probably, at the next Selectman's meeting before they can find the guy who does the website to update it all. I'm not surprised that these things don't change overnight.

They won't enforce restrictions anyway, either theirs or any other town's. This used to be a reddish town, but it's all green now and has been since that big legislative push some years ago, the one that made chiefs (technically) accountable to the courts.

see i heard that and my mind simply exploded couldn't believe it ! and still don't lol You will think they should be a green city for ltcs but noooo ! of course none of it matters they 100% had a insane amount of envelops with other Ltcs when i went in today

Sounds like they were monitoring threads like this, knew that something big was coming their way and got in front of a class action when Maura set them up hard with her statement.

3. Wait for license.

For new applications:
2. Take class.
5. Wait for license

Compress it to one set of instructions:

1 - new applicants must supply proof of approved basic firearms safety course or equivalent
2 - drop off completed application, $100 check and class certificate (if applicable)
3 - if no fingerprints are on file, make appointment to get them
4 - receive license within statutory 40 days

I know people think diversion or some sneaky trick exists to get out from the mandatory sentence but the usual options are win suppression or win at trial.
Yet how many frequent flyers do we see getting firearms charges dropped then offered deals on the lesser charges.

18 months for what amounts to an administrative infraction* is on its face excessive punishment.

* - if the person would objectively qualify for an LTC then carry without one is really a failure to adhere to an administrative requirement. Punishment should be similar to not pulling a building permit - fine 2x the cost of the permit for the first offense and nothing more as long as the person immediately applies for a permit.

Question is an 18 month sentence for only carrying without a license normal or do most states handle it as a low level infraction versus a criminal offense.
If most states don't treat it criminally then Mass treatment is both cruel (in length) and unusual (compared to other states)

Whatever happened to captain crazy?

He resigned before the hearing to fire him. Looked him up, looks like he lives in Woburn with the same color truck but a Nissan Titan. I hope he’s mouthy with the right person and gets his head kicked in.

Back
Top Bottom