• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Supreme Court - NYSRPA v. Bruen - Megathread

This will be across ALL, correct? In other words, there will be no exemptions for law enforcement, etc.? Hopefully, someone will be watching, to make sure this is the case.

Again, across the board, no exemptions.

Protip: Nobody (with a functioning brain) will ever spend money litigating that part of the thing, unless its tangential to getting us a win by some other means. It's best to just forget about being morally outraged about it because its a waste of time, unless it can be used as a vehicle/weapon to force the hand of the state. (which in some weird cases, it could potentially be)

Theres going to be about 2 years of ping pong bullshit at state levels in these half dozen or so garbage states that will mostly determine "what people actually will end up with" as a result of this ruling.

I don’t think I’ve put any references on any of my applications..other then family I likely didn’t have a single person to use as a reference.

It’s on the form but I don’t think it’s a requirement…

Regardless the references don’t matter. It extremely rare they would even contact them.
They aren't required by law in MA, but the suitability risk was there. With the current "risk to public safety" for suitability, you'd have no problem beating a denial based on this in the courts, if the courts followed the law, which they don't.

But as far as a legit references requirement and the SCOTUS ruling, I think it could survive as long as it is applied to everyone and it's nothing more than knowing someone. Not an arbitrary character reference.

What SCOTUS said could be read as arbitrary suitability is not allowed. But MA makes the claim that it's use of suitability is not arbitrary, they must be able to clearly articulate a risk to public safety, At least that's the law, although we all know the MA courts will go along with the Chief says no matter what or how he says it. I'd expect the MA legislature to add more definition and try to replace the word suitability with something not actually in the SCOTUS ruling. Then when there is a challenge MA will just say the law isn't arbitrary, your fight is with the individual Chief. So you end up with lots of little cases applied to individuals, leaving the Chiefs the ability to deny "for reasons" unless you have the $$$ for the fight.
Maybe I'm wrong, but the way SCotUS wrote the opinion it seems like they left it up to state legislatures and not municipalities (all the commentary against NYC makes me think this) to determine licensing criteria. Does anyone else think that? Maybe it isn't intentional, but seemed to me like SCotUS was eliminating local bullshitting.

What were the mag limits and AWB type laws in 1791? There were none. All the mag limits, AWB etc are modern laws
Ha ha. I thought you said 1971. ALMOST the same laws.

Any carve outs in any bill, 2A or other, are BS. Everyone should be treated equally under law.

Thats the problem, a lot of LEO's have forgotten (they don't give a dam more than forgotten) that they are supposed to Honor the Constitution!!!
A lot of them think it's OK for them but not for us!!!

This BS Law or ruling that exempts "Law Enforcement" from having to "Follow the Laws" is TOTAL BS!!!!!!!

I'm an ex LEO, I could take advantage of that law/ruling, but I don't because I don't feel that it's right that Law Enforcement is ALLOWED TO BREAK THE LAW just because they are Law Enforcement!!!!!!!

It is LEGAL TO OPEN CARRY in MA, they have no right to come up to you and "take you down"!!!

Yes, they have the right to come up to you and ask what you are doing but there is not one thing they can do to you...

I take that back, they can contact your Police Chief and say that you were causing a disturbance and your Chief can decide to pull your LTC...

That's why I don't OC and why I tell people not to OC... The Police Chief has way too much power over YOUR LTC!!!

It should be one system in MA, anyone that applies and is legal should get a nonrestricted LTC!!!

Not any more.

Maybe I'm wrong, but the way SCotUS wrote the opinion it seems like they left it up to state legislatures and not municipalities (all the commentary against NYC makes me think this) to determine licensing criteria. Does anyone else think that? Maybe it isn't intentional, but seemed to me like SCotUS was eliminating local bullshitting.
In that they, SCOTUS, want the conditions clearly defined in the law, I'd say you are correct.

I can see MA regulating open carry to require the same retention holsters as police departments and having that requirement hold up in court because it would be "uniform" for all persons in the state.
I can see MA banning open carry and getting away with it (if someone decides to push the envelope that far) as more legal ping pong happens, unless theres something in this ruling that specifically says that banning OC is an infringement.

Of course theres the level 2 thing which is OC can be legal but LE will also be legal to basically ping/harass you about it and that wont get viewed as in infringement, minus more legal ping pong. And nobody will advance the ball on something that flimsy unless someone wants to do it out of principle.

Lotsa Mass. people here (myself included). Those of us sitting outside of Boston with LTC, probably not much change.

I grew up in Jersey. This is huge. My dad had to get an FID card to get a freakin' BB gun. Get a carry license? Ha. I think the only LTC regime worse is Hawaii. Such an anti-state. A number of non-residents found themselves jammed up just for passing through.

Too bad no hollow point carry (...for now...)

Watch all the shit side-laws pass though and them get away with it at least until its litigated.

Trash states will establish tiers of carry law, and the peon one will have stupid training requirement, etc,

Or they can put the licenses on short 1 or 2 yr terms and a whole bunch of other things to deter licensing.

Also they will probably nearly all go MUST NOTIFY which blows chunks. (AKA how to mandate a driver obtain more roadside harassment from bad LE).

Think of all the 9000 annoyances they can add without going full infringe. That shit is coming, one way or another, in the ping pong show ahead

Actually I hope they are dumb enough to do that shit, because theres a chance a fed court could blow that shit up, too.

They aren't required by law in MA, but the suitability risk was there. With the current "risk to public safety" for suitability, you'd have no problem beating a denial based on this in the courts, if the courts followed the law, which they don't.

But as far as a legit references requirement and the SCOTUS ruling, I think it could survive as long as it is applied to everyone and it's nothing more than knowing someone. Not an arbitrary character reference.
I believe you are correct.. It’s All still speculation.
It’s just a shame you have to wait so long for something to get to the Supreme Court for just be Relitigated right after to figure out exactly what’s gonna happen.

My issue with the reference thing is I didn’t associate with anyone when I applied many years ago… I don’t really associate with anybody right now either. If I need a reference now I probably use one of you guys/gals..(some of you that’s I’ve met in person and shot with) This was all done well before I was ran NES member.

Watch all the shit side-laws pass though and them get away with it at least until its litigated.

Trash states will establish tiers of carry law, and the peon one will have stupid training requirement, etc,

Or they can put the licenses on short 1 or 2 yr terms and a whole bunch of other things to deter licensing.

Also they will probably nearly all go MUST NOTIFY which blows chunks. (AKA how to mandate a driver obtain more roadside harassment from bad LE).

Think of all the 9000 annoyances they can add without going full infringe. That shit is coming, one way or another, in the ping pong show ahead

Actually I hope they are dumb enough to do that shit, because theres a chance a fed court could blow that shit up, too.
If they go to short license periods, then the LTC obviates NICS. They're not going to want to do that.

Going forward for MA people, I can’t imagine they will reissue LTC’s or even send out stickers to put on your LTC. Most likely when something is actually released from the state it will say that all restrictions are null and void and for everyone to just ignore that part of the LTC.

New LTC’s won’t even have that part printed on the card.

On the application is should read…

Reason for requesting LTC or unrestricted:
Answer: All Lawful Purposes USSC- NYSRPA v. Bruen

References (list 3):
Answer: USSC- NYSRPA v. Bruen
I would hope they just shorten the whole form.

It may change it a little but to be honest, a lot who want to open carry only want to do it for the shock value and it's "my right". They want to do it because it pisses of others. If you actually have a need to open carry, then the following does not apply to you. Being an a**h*** is being an a**h*** no matter how you do it. Doing something because you can and you know it will upset other is just being an a**h***. As far as self defence goes, CC provides the significant tactical advantage of the bad guy not knowing about it. If you're working on your fence on a hot summer day with no shirt on and your gun is visible, that's fine, the "open" is just a consequence of the situation. If you're walking in the mall with an AR on a single point sling, you're just being an a**h***.
As far as open carry goes, doing to be a dick or shock value isn’t a great idea.. Just be cool about it and go about your business carrying your gun and ignore everybody. You’ll likely be fine unless you’re an a**h*** about it
I can't imagine OC for these reasons, it's like driving around with a light out.

The only reason I would like it is because of what I guess I'll call "Peekaboo Carry". This is when you have the butt of a pistol poking out somewhere, not obvious, but enough to get noticed. Having a discreet holster and being totally hidden is a big difference for the way some people are built and how they dress. A simple IWB holster with shorts and a tshirt in the summer is great, but a lot of opportunities to partially "OC". Eliminating that as an issue would be a good, no, a GREAT thing!

Protip: Nobody (with a functioning brain) will ever spend money litigating that part of the thing, unless its tangential to getting us a win by some other means. It's best to just forget about being morally outraged about it because its a waste of time, unless it can be used as a vehicle/weapon to force the hand of the state. (which in some weird cases, it could potentially be)

Theres going to be about 2 years of ping pong bullshit at state levels in these half dozen or so garbage states that will mostly determine "what people actually will end up with" as a result of this ruling.
No, you're wrong there. If police are required to be held to the same standard, then those things will be gone, making it better for everyone. Having two sets of standards just puts us back where we were again.

If they go to short license periods, then the LTC obviates NICS. They're not going to want to do that.

Not necessarily, in order to get a NICS bypass a state's AG has to approve it. It doesn't "just happen". We all know MA and other shithole states are never going to do that. (unless a federal lawsuit forces this in court somehow) It's an administrative process thing. Your state basically has to request that option on behalf of its citizens.

There are also a myriad of other requirements that can break a NICS bypass attempt Some states that have minimal gun laws will never have a NICS bypass because their state
minimums do not meet fed minimums.

ETA: If you go talk to a state AG from a non-shit state, I bet a lot of those AGs would be like "We cant get a NICS bypass here because otherwise we'd have to go back to the legislature and have them more or less make the carry law worse and change a bunch of other things. And obviously nobody wants to do that. "

Now having said that, there MAY be a possibility a state could add a 2nd permit tier and wallhack that issue. One of the states does it for better CCW reciprocity. I want to say its Idaho? or something. They have two tier of licenses, a basic easy one to get and another one with more bullshit. In that state the rights are the same, but the ehnanced one with more bullshit gets you more reciprocity. There MAY be a way that states with tiered-for-gun owners licensing schemes can produce an enhanced license that qualifies for a bypass. but I havent seen this part of it yet to know if its possible.

Last edited:
No, you're wrong there. If police are required to be held to the same standard, then those things will be gone, making it better for everyone. Having two sets of standards just puts us back where we were again.

I think you are misunderstanding me. I'm not against the concept, just against the typical crybaby virtue signaling BS most gun owners push on it. That stuff gets us nothing- the idea of taking some exemption away, by itself. HOWEVER, I think potentially theres a small chance your wish might become true, but in a different, more positive way. Those exemptions (especially for off duty LE) can possibly be used against the state to force the bar to be the same for regular citizens. So a state might be forced in the unenviable position of having to shit on LE unions or just doing the right thing and making the bar the same. I agree with that concept.

Last edited:
I can see MA banning open carry and getting away with it (if someone decides to push the envelope that far) as more legal ping pong happens, unless theres something in this ruling that specifically says that banning OC is an infringement.

Of course theres the level 2 thing which is OC can be legal but LE will also be legal to basically ping/harass you about it and that wont get viewed as in infringement, minus more legal ping pong. And nobody will advance the ball on something that flimsy unless someone wants to do it out of principle.
Think about how crappy MA is about authoring legislation on top of their bullshit intimidation through gray areas for a desired effect. Imagine them trying to draft the usual half assed carve out for police and screwing up regulations for private security resulting in Brinks' General Counsel blowing the entire thing up in court with the new history and text standard set by SCotUS. Remember that Thomas wrote the opinion based on the 14A incorporating the 2A. Pushing carve outs and special classes violating the 14A under text and history levels of scrutiny isn't going to be an easy thing for the intellectual giants in the Legislature.

I think we are focusing too much on the 2A and not enough on the fact this was really a 14A case that happened to trigger a far more robust enforcement of the 2A due to insubordination by state authorities and lower courts.

The more I think about this, the more I think this case might get reference in other 14A cases in the future to curtail states crapping on the Constitutional prohibitions on state interference in BoR protected rights.

Frankly, I'd rather see effort put into overturning the AWB, magazine restrictions, the Approved Roster, and the AG's non list list.

I think you are misunderstanding me. I'm not against the concept, just against the typical crybaby virtue signaling BS most gun owners push on it. That stuff gets us nothing- the idea of taking some exemption away, by itself. HOWEVER, I think potentially theres a small chance your wish might become true, but in a different, more positive way. Those exemptions (especially for off duty LE) can possibly be used against the state to force the bar to be the same for regular citizens. So a state might be forced in the unenviable position of having to shit on LE unions or just doing the right thing and making the bar the same. I agree with that concept.

Think about how crappy MA is about authoring legislation on top of their bullshit intimidation through gray areas for a desired effect. Imagine them trying to draft the usual half assed carve out for police and screwing up regulations for private security resulting in Brinks' General Counsel blowing the entire thing up in court with the new history and text standard set by SCotUS. Remember that Thomas wrote the opinion based on the 14A incorporating the 2A. Pushing carve outs and special classes violating the 14A under text and history levels of scrutiny isn't going to be an easy thing for the intellectual giants in the Legislature.

I think we are focusing too much on the 2A and not enough on the fact this was really a 14A case that happened to trigger a far more robust enforcement of the 2A due to insubordination by state authorities and lower courts.

The more I think about this, the more I think this case might get reference in other 14A cases in the future to curtail states crapping on the Constitutional prohibitions on state interference in BoR protected rights.

When you put it in that context, it makes more sense. I see what you are getting at now. The decision backs them up against a wall in a few different ways.

The thing is though you know darn well some of these a**h***s will try anything, even if its legally dumb./risky Unless some big dick swinging anti factions come along and go "stop, shut up, stop doing things, before you make it worse for everyone tactically" etc. The fact that places like DC basically gave us Heller on a silver platter is not entirely lost on the hard core antis. So there's that.

Same here. Making all classes equal is easy and involves almost zero effort. In fact, it is, by definition, less work.

That will never be reality though. You're never going to see a case where a peon can have something like a a loaded long gun on a public way or laying around in a car like a cop can get away with.

not happening

although I REALLY hope I am wrong. [laugh]

Frankly, I'd rather see effort put into overturning the AWB, magazine restrictions, the Approved Roster, and the AG's non list list.

I dont think any of that stuff comes into play under the overarching tone and scope of this decision though, I could be wrong, unless they specifically addressed things like magazine capacity in there.

I dont think any of that stuff comes into play under the overarching tone and scope of this decision though, I could be wrong, unless they specifically addressed things like magazine capacity in there.
From what I read, they're not directly referenced, but they might be found in the "penumbras and emanations" of this decision.

As mentioned earlier, there are magazine and AWB cases on hold that will need to be decided with deference to NYSRPA

I can see MA regulating open carry to require the same retention holsters as police departments and having that requirement hold up in court because it would be "uniform" for all persons in the state.
The thing I've always said and felt about open carry is that even if I lived in Arizona or Kentucky or any 'free' state, I absolutely wouldn't open carry unless I had no other choice (cuz of weather or clothing I'm wearing or whatever).
Why?
Cuz I've always thought to myself that if I'm in a Liquor Store/Diner/Bank/other 'cash business' etc? And some scumbag crackhead or whatever enters looking for a quick 'point and rob' for his next fix, etc?.. The initial thing he's gonna do is put a round or two into ME first (thinking that I'm an unexpected definite 'threat' to his plan).
Maybe I'm wrong, but, if some maggot walks into the bank or convenience store and yells to everyone "This is a robbery" etc? I'd rather let him experience five or seven rounds from my concealed G17 first, rather than him just taking me out immediately as he walks in and sees some 'Citizen Sheriff-wannabe' waiting in line to play his PowerBall numbers.
I just really really REALLY prefer the 'element of surprise' versus a near-immediate gunfight with some MethHead and/or his HoneyBunny....

Just sayin'

View: http://youtu.be/StkasLs-QmE

The thing I've always said and felt about open carry is that even if I lived in Arizona or Kentucky or any 'free' state, I absolutely wouldn't open carry unless I had no other choice (cuz of weather or clothing I'm wearing or whatever).
Why?
Cuz I've always thought to myself that if I'm in a Liquor Store/Diner/Bank/other 'cash business' etc? And a scumbag crackhead or whatever enters looking for a quick 'point and rob' for his next fix, etc, the initial thing he's gonna do is put a round or two into ME first, thinking that I'm a definite 'threat' to his plan.
Maybe I'm wrong, but, if some maggot walks into the bank and yells to everyone "This is a robbery" etc? I'd rather let him experience five or seven rounds from my concealed G17 first, rather than him just taking me out immediately as he walks in and sees some 'Citizen Sheriff-wannabe' waiting in line to play his PowerBall numbers.
I just really really REALLY prefer the 'element of surprise' versus a near-immediate gunfight with some MethHead and/or his HoneyBunny....

IMHO this is dubious overthinking citited by glue sniffer trainer types, I would bet on odds the guy would be more likely to just leave if he saw your gun before his spiel.

Banks? are you shitting me? Statistically 99% of bank robberies end without injury or some crazy stat. Most of them dont even have a gun. Most of the time the bank is robbed and only the people behind the counter and the teller filling the bag know. Your odds of winning the powerball are far greater than having a firearm pointed at you during a bank robbery.

Out of all the examples you mentioned, a 7-11 or Liquor store is infinitely more dangerous. (the -people who rob those places are infinitely more desperate, more likely to be on drugs etc, think about how stupid they have to be to contemplate extroardinary risks to obtain so little money, as most of those places are never going to have no more than a few hundred bucks in the drawers at any one given time. One of those guys might shoot you. That's why the security guard dude in compton lit up those two fake gun kids with his revolver. [laugh]

A better reason the easiest sell? - the one I use? "I dont want unwanted interactions with police, ever". It's a waste of their time, its an even bigger waste of my time. No thanks. hard pass.

MA resident LTC is shall issue but with suitability, so effectively may issue. So Maura won't be saying anything about May issue unless she is refering to the non-res LTC which is May issue, but no suitability clause.

It may change it a little but to be honest, a lot who want to open carry only want to do it for the shock value and it's "my right". They want to do it because it pisses of others. If you actually have a need to open carry, then the following does not apply to you. Being an a**h*** is being an a**h*** no matter how you do it. Doing something because you can and you know it will upset other is just being an a**h***. As far as self defence goes, CC provides the significant tactical advantage of the bad guy not knowing about it. If you're working on your fence on a hot summer day with no shirt on and your gun is visible, that's fine, the "open" is just a consequence of the situation. If you're walking in the mall with an AR on a single point sling, you're just being an a**h***.

There are only a few difference in res and non-res in MA.

Non-res, May issue and restrictions.
Res, shall issue but suitability, and restrictions.
Other than that it's mostly the time/place to apply. The time/place thing will survive as long as its consistent. Restrictions and May issue on the non-res are gone. But will likely take a court case or two.
Res LTCs, restrictions are gone but will likely take a court case. Suitability, as MA defines it, will become part of a fight with the legislature. see below

What SCOTUS said could be read as arbitrary suitability is not allowed. But MA makes the claim that it's use of suitability is not arbitrary, they must be able to clearly articulate a risk to public safety, At least that's the law, although we all know the MA courts will go along with the Chief says no matter what or how he says it. I'd expect the MA legislature to add more definition and try to replace the word suitability with something not actually in the SCOTUS ruling. Then when there is a challenge MA will just say the law isn't arbitrary, your fight is with the individual Chief. So you end up with lots of little cases applied to individuals, leaving the Chiefs the ability to deny "for reasons" unless you have the $$$ for the fight.

I believe you are mistaken about MA LTC being shall issue. I had a look at MGL Chapter 140, Section 131 (emphasis mine)...

"...may submit to the licensing authority or the colonel of state police an application for a license to carry firearms, or renewal of the same, which the licensing authority or the colonel may issue if it appears that the applicant is not a prohibited person..."

I thought the LTC was always "may issue" while the FID was "shall issue". I thought that changed in 2014 when both became "may issue". Yet when I look up the section on the FID, it is "shall issue".

"... submit to the licensing authority an application for a firearm identification card, or renewal of the same, which the licensing authority shall issue if it appears that the applicant is not a prohibited person."

I believe you are mistaken about MA LTC being shall issue. I had a look at MGL Chapter 140, Section 131 (emphasis mine)...

"...may submit to the licensing authority or the colonel of state police an application for a license to carry firearms, or renewal of the same, which the licensing authority or the colonel may issue if it appears that the applicant is not a prohibited person..."

I thought the LTC was always "may issue" while the FID was "shall issue". I thought that changed in 2014 when both became "may issue". Yet when I look up the section on the FID, it is "shall issue".

"... submit to the licensing authority an application for a firearm identification card, or renewal of the same, which the licensing authority shall issue if it appears that the applicant is not a prohibited person."
You're right.

It used to be that the FID was shall issue, and LTC was may issue. When the laws were updated, in 2014, the FID became may issue as well.

Yes and no. Under the "incorporation doctrine," the Fourteenth Amendment makes certain parts of the Bill of Rights - known as the "incorporated rights" - binding on all state and local jurisdictions. The whole point of the MacDonald decision was that it added the RKBA to the list of incorporated rights. If a state has a law that says local jurisdictions can't pass their own gun laws, then state law prevails. If there's no such state law, then any city, town, or hamlet can pass its own gun laws and regulations, as long as it doesn't violate federal law or existing case law.

You're not wrong. The Bruen ruling doesn't explicitly touch on any topic except the one that was before the Court: whether the NY state permitting system violated the RKBA. However, it does require that in future, challenges to gun control laws must be judged on a "strict scrutiny" standard, which is the tightest standard there is and the one that's most difficult for a law to pass. I think challenges to magazine limits, etc. just got a lot easier for gun-rights advocates to win.

I'm happy with this ruling. May-issue is effectively dead, and in the future, gun control laws will be tested under strict scrutiny. It couldn't have turned out better for RKBA advocates.

Reading Justice Thomas' comments on firearms in common use, I think that might be an opening to challenge all three.

Yes and no. Under the "incorporation doctrine," the Fourteenth Amendment makes certain parts of the Bill of Rights - known as the "incorporated rights" - binding on all state and local jurisdictions.

I thought I read in the decision that SCotUS was affirming the 14A incorporates ALL of the Bill of Rights to States. Which is a big deal reversing the original SCotUS decision in the 1870s which didn't recognize the full incorporation of the 14A.
Nonetheless, we have made clear that individual rights enumerated in the Bill of Rights and made applicable against the States through the Fourteenth Amendment have the same scope as against the Federal Government. See, e.g., Ramos v. Louisiana, 590 U. S. ___, ___ (2020) (slip op., at 7); Timbs v. Indiana, 586 U. S. ___, ___–___ (2019) (slip op., at 2–3); Malloy v. Hogan, 378 U. S. 1, 10–11 (1964). And we have generally assumed that the scope of the protection applicable to the Federal Government and States is pegged to the public understanding of the right when the Bill of Rights was adopted in 1791. See, e.g., Crawford v. Washington, 541 U. S. 36, 42–50 (2004) (Sixth Amendment); Virginia v. Moore, 553 U. S. 164, 168– 169 (2008) (Fourth Amendment); Nevada Comm’n on Ethics v. Carrigan, 564 U. S. 117, 122–125 (2011) (First Amendment). We also acknowledge that there is an ongoing scholarly debate on whether courts should primarily rely on the prevailing understanding of an individual right when the Fourteenth Amendment was ratified in 1868 when defining its scope (as well as the scope of the right against the Federal Government). See, e.g., A. Amar, The Bill of Rights: Creation and Reconstruction xiv, 223, 243 (1998); K. Lash, ReSpeaking the Bill of Rights: A New Doctrine of Incorporation (Jan. 15, 2021) (manuscript, at 2), https://papers.ssrn .com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3766917 (“When the people adopted the Fourteenth Amendment into existence, they readopted the original Bill of Rights, and did so in a manner that invested those original 1791 texts with new 1868 meanings”). We need not address this issue today because, as we explain below, the public understanding of the right to keep and bear arms in both 1791 and 1868 was, for all relevant purposes, the same with respect to public carry.

His slant has been getting noticeably less this year and I think the left + Biden's overwhelming disrespect for the court has a lot to do with it.

Threatening to pack the court, clerks leaking opinions, and encouraging a permissive environment for mob tactics definitely pissed off Roberts.

Roberts has always been good on discrimination cases, Kennedy was the one allowing those to keep appearing and not taking care of the issue in the first case. I’d be very surprised if anyone else wrote the affirmative action case in college admissions next term. As the 2nd amendment is a thomas focus, racial preference in college admissions is a Roberts subject. When that 6-3 decision is issued the libs are going to flip out as much as in Dobbs. They rely on racial division.

I seem to recall that when a new precedent is set, the SC tends to remand back to the lower courts in light of the new ruling for any affected cases in their inbox. So I would expect remands in the gun cases waiting for cert. Well see.

They can accept them for next term if they want but I don’t think that’s likely. I think they’ll remand and tell the lower courts to reconsider based on the NYSRPA ruling. SCOTUS doesn’t take many case and they like the lower courts to flesh out the issues if any.

I hope so, but I expect that the attitude in the states that were "May Issue" will be "Let them litigate it."

The 2nd circuit court of appeals and 3rd have more GOP nominated judges then dem, so that will temper their insanity. The 9th was 21-8 pre trump favoring dems, it’s 16-13 now so things are not a slam dunk there any longer. The 1st circuit where Ma is all liberal (they’ve been reversed at least 4 times this term) so Ma may be more aggressive knowing SCOTUS doesn’t accept a ton of cases. The 4th circuit where MD is, is alway very liberal.

Back
Top Bottom