• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Supreme Court - NYSRPA v. Bruen - Megathread

Watch all the shit side-laws pass though and them get away with it at least until its litigated.

Trash states will establish tiers of carry law, and the peon one will have stupid training requirement, etc,

Or they can put the licenses on short 1 or 2 yr terms and a whole bunch of other things to deter licensing.

Also they will probably nearly all go MUST NOTIFY which blows chunks. (AKA how to mandate a driver obtain more roadside harassment from bad LE).

Think of all the 9000 annoyances they can add without going full infringe. That shit is coming, one way or another, in the ping pong show ahead

Actually I hope they are dumb enough to do that shit, because theres a chance a fed court could blow that shit up, too.
If they go the route of having police and other authorities harass people for carrying, then I can see SCOTUS at some point saying "if this is the shit you're gonna do now that you shall issue, then to avoid any undo harassment we're going to outlaw all licensing requirements. Constitutional Carry bitches."

If they go the route of having police and other authorities harass people for carrying, then I can see SCOTUS at some point saying "if this is the shit you're gonna do now that you shall issue, then to avoid any undo harassment we're going to outlaw all licensing requirements. Constitutional Carry bitches."

I can see that happening in an alternate reality. Not so much in this one though.

That's what just happened. States and lower courts ignored McDonald, Heller, and Caetano, so SCotUS had to make it even clearer to the insubordinates. If the same blowhards ignore SCotUS again the Supremes very well could pull Alito's quote from Caetano,
If the fundamental right of self-defense does not protect Caetano, then the safety of all Americans is left to the mercy of state authorities who may be more concerned about disarming the people than about keeping them safe.
to rule, "nope Constitutional carry it is".

...and in the future, gun control laws will be tested under strict scrutiny.

If I read it right, even strict scrutiny is out. There is no more scrutiny. The court said that they "reject the two-step approach".

Thomas set this one up beautifully, and this ruling will be used to strike down other gun restrictions, including AWB, magazine limits and roster lists.

From what I read, they're not directly referenced, but they might be found in the "penumbras and emanations" of this decision.

As mentioned earlier, there are magazine and AWB cases on hold that will need to be decided with deference to NYSRPA
If the existence of other states having a shall issue permit system was cited as a reason to do away with may issue states, then the same argument applies at least to magazine capacity. I get the feeling that SCOTUS wanted to rule in Heller/McDonald that a person has the right to possess a firearm in the home, now with NYSRPA v Bruen they've ruled that right to possess (at least a handgun) also applies outside the home. Now there is no reason to say that whether it's in the home or outside the home that capacity of magazines need be regulated, not when way more than half the states have not only a shall issue license scheme, but also no regulations on magazine capacities.

AWB is a no brainer as I see the SCOTUS hammering not just AWB down, but state bans on NFA items. The 14th Amendment just doesn't allow it.

I don't think we're ever going to see NFA registration be struck down, maybe the $200 tax as it will look like a poll tax. Time will tell.

The thing I've always said and felt about open carry is that even if I lived in Arizona or Kentucky or any 'free' state, I absolutely wouldn't open carry unless I had no other choice (cuz of weather or clothing I'm wearing or whatever).
Why?
Cuz I've always thought to myself that if I'm in a Liquor Store/Diner/Bank/other 'cash business' etc? And some scumbag crackhead or whatever enters looking for a quick 'point and rob' for his next fix, etc?.. The initial thing he's gonna do is put a round or two into ME first (thinking that I'm an unexpected definite 'threat' to his plan).
Maybe I'm wrong, but, if some maggot walks into the bank or convenience store and yells to everyone "This is a robbery" etc? I'd rather let him experience five or seven rounds from my concealed G17 first, rather than him just taking me out immediately as he walks in and sees some 'Citizen Sheriff-wannabe' waiting in line to play his PowerBall numbers.
I just really really REALLY prefer the 'element of surprise' versus a near-immediate gunfight with some MethHead and/or his HoneyBunny....

Just sayin'

View: http://youtu.be/StkasLs-QmE

The only time I consider open carry superior to concealed is specifically when I'm out in the woods or any other rural area where I don't expect to encounter people. This is where wildlife is a much clearer danger to me and where I need the fastest draw possible, also with likely a larger pistol given I want more velocity with a longer barrel and a long sight radius to improve accuracy. Other than that, conceal carry all the way.

Not so much open harassment but laws designed to intimidate people into not carrying or not obtaining a license. By not outright outlawing licensing they still left the door wide open for lots of shenanigans/BS

Would not shock me if the supremes have to do a "fix your shit or we'll f*** it up" bow shot thing like they did with the stun guns in MA.

I've told this here before, I'll tell it again: Two friends of mine are both MA State Police Troopers...Both - BOTH - say quite firmly/honestly/matter of factly that (to quote one directly, and affirmed by the other one, when asked about Open Carry etc, quote) "I don't give a fuq WHAT anyone else thinks. If I see you or anyone walking down the street with a gun? You're going down on the ground, on your knees, with your hands in plain sight until I can figure out EXACTLY what the fuq is going on..." (end of quote).
And when pressed on the 'Why' or the 'but what if I.." (etc), his (THEIR) reply was "I said I don't give a fuq!!"

Period. End of (true) story.

Just sayin'
1656200805688.png

Not so much open harassment but laws designed to intimidate people into not carrying or not obtaining a license. By not outright outlawing licensing they still left the door wide open for lots of shenanigans/BS

Would not shock me if the supremes have to do a "fix your shit or we'll f*** it up" bow shot thing like they did with the stun guns in MA.
Given how the states didn't change things even after Caetano (Rhode Island was still outlawing them until ordered by a court), I don't see them changing course, especially NYS.

We already saw how the Left operates with the Dobbs decision, they could have taken the loss and limited abortion to 16 weeks, but the Left plays a zero sum game, their mentality is they can never take a loss. This is what sets them up to keep losing.

Give it 5 years, maybe 10, and I see SCOTUS ruling constitutional carry for all 50 states.

Suitable is still open to interpretation, as long as it does not include special social status or need as part of the determination.

The only time I consider open carry superior to concealed is specifically when I'm out in the woods or any other rural area where I don't expect to encounter people. This is where wildlife is a much clearer danger to me and where I need the fastest draw possible, also with likely a larger pistol given I want more velocity with a longer barrel and a long sight radius to improve accuracy. Other than that, conceal carry all the way.
1656203471799.png

“New York is not alone in requiring a permit to carry a handgun in public. But the vast majority of States—43 by our count—are “shall issue” jurisdictions, where authorities must issue concealed-carry licenses whenever applicants satisfy certain threshold requirements, without granting li- censing officials discretion to deny licenses based on a per- ceived lack of need or suitability.1 Meanwhile, only six
States and the District of Columbia have “may issue” licens- ing laws, under which authorities have discretion to deny concealed-carry licenses even when the applicant satisfies the statutory criteria, usually because the applicant has not demonstrated cause or suitability for the relevant license. Aside from New York, then, only California, the District of Columbia, Hawaii, Maryland, Massachusetts, and NewJersey have analogues to the “proper cause” standard.2 All of these “proper cause” analogues have been upheld by the Courts of Appeals, save for the District of Columbia’s, which has been permanently enjoined since 2017.”

what this will mean for MA, who knows!!!!!

Yes and no. Under the "incorporation doctrine," the Fourteenth Amendment makes certain parts of the Bill of Rights - known as the "incorporated rights" - binding on all state and local jurisdictions. The whole point of the MacDonald decision was that it added the RKBA to the list of incorporated rights. If a state has a law that says local jurisdictions can't pass their own gun laws, then state law prevails. If there's no such state law, then any city, town, or hamlet can pass its own gun laws and regulations, as long as it doesn't violate federal law or existing case law.

You're not wrong. The Bruen ruling doesn't explicitly touch on any topic except the one that was before the Court: whether the NY state permitting system violated the RKBA. However, it does require that in future, challenges to gun control laws must be judged on a "strict scrutiny" standard, which is the tightest standard there is and the one that's most difficult for a law to pass. I think challenges to magazine limits, etc. just got a lot easier for gun-rights advocates to win.

I'm happy with this ruling. May-issue is effectively dead, and in the future, gun control laws will be tested under strict scrutiny. It couldn't have turned out better for RKBA advocates.

Intermediate and strict scrutiny are out, Thomas said the court is rejecting those standards. He said clearly the 2nd amendment should be viewed through the text and history from when the 2nd was enacted.

The left is no stranger to ignoring stare decisis.

Heller established the 2A right in the home.

When McDonald was decided regarding incorporating the right acknowledged in Heller, Sotomayorr voted against is saying she could find nothing in the constitution supporting the right to own a handgun ... as if McDonald was never decided.

Same game on both sides; different specifics and players.

The left is no stranger to ignoring stare decisis.

Heller established the 2A right in the home.

When McDonald was decided regarding incorporating the right acknowledged in Heller, Sotomayorr voted against is saying she could find nothing in the constitution supporting the right to own a handgun ... as if McDonald was never decided.

Same game on both sides; different specifics and players.
And after McDonald the common use statement in Heller goes ignored still.

These cases mean zero when they go ignored.

Intermediate and strict scrutiny are out, Thomas said the court is rejecting those standards. He said clearly the 2nd amendment should be viewed through the text and history from when the 2nd was enacted.
When this case started we were hoping for text and history, would settle for strict scrutiny, and realistically thought we might get a narrow only affects NYC but try again using the precedent later somewhere else in the country ruling. We never thought Constitutional Carry was going to be a possibility. Then at some point we got greedy chasing unicorns thinking Constitutional Carry MIGHT happen, and lo and beyond we get the text and history standard we were hoping for in the first place. It is a win, the question is can we get it enforced.

Where this was really a 14A case, I think it will have more legs than we may think due to the equal protection under the law angle. I think we very well may see states which choose to still issue permits be required to provide them at no direct cost to applicants. The first jurisdiction that tries to pull a 10k permit fee or some other bullshit to try and 1934 NFA style tax permits out of existence will blow it up for the others.

I believe you are mistaken about MA LTC being shall issue. I had a look at MGL Chapter 140, Section 131 (emphasis mine)...

"...may submit to the licensing authority or the colonel of state police an application for a license to carry firearms, or renewal of the same, which the licensing authority or the colonel may issue if it appears that the applicant is not a prohibited person..."

I thought the LTC was always "may issue" while the FID was "shall issue". I thought that changed in 2014 when both became "may issue". Yet when I look up the section on the FID, it is "shall issue".

"... submit to the licensing authority an application for a firearm identification card, or renewal of the same, which the licensing authority shall issue if it appears that the applicant is not a prohibited person."
don't know what I was thinking, you are correct, the FID is shall and the ltc is may

[rofl] [rofl]

In what parallel universe does that SCOTUS exist?

[rofl] [rofl]

In what parallel universe does that SCOTUS exist?
In all fairness, the universe we’re in now has a significant conservative SCOTUS majority of Constitutional justices, a justice dept that is encouraging leftists to rage outside SCOTUS justices’ front doors, blatantly breaking the law with no recourse, one leftist just arrested for the attempted murder of a SCOTUS judge, and Congressmen, Senators and state Goverrnors, Mayors, AGs and DAs saying they’ll ignore SCOTUS, as well as SCOTUS Clerks undermining the court by leaking draft opinions they find unfavorable. You don’t think all that shit is emboldening the court? If I’m the conservative justices, I’m mad as hell right now.

In all fairness, the universe we’re in now has a significant conservative SCOTUS majority of Constitutional justices, a justice dept that is encouraging leftists to rage outside SCOTUS justices’ front doors, blatantly breaking the law with no recourse, one leftist just arrested for the attempted murder of a SCOTUS judge, and Congressmen, Senators and state Goverrnors, Mayors, AGs and DAs saying they’ll ignore SCOTUS, as well as SCOTUS Clerks undermining the court by leaking draft opinions they find unfavorable. You don’t think all that shit is emboldening the court? If I’m the conservative justices, I’m mad as hell right now.
It all has the potential to snowball. If the local authorities pull shit to harass people with the carry licenses/permits and SCOTUS has told them not to because it's a right, then SCOTUS will rectify the situation by striking down licensing requirements. Then, if states ignore that ruling and have police arrest people for carrying without licenses, that's a civil rights violation and grounds for the President to declare an Insurrection and deploy the military to arrest politicians in those states.

That won't happen under President Biden, but under President Trump or Desantis... they would gladly deploy the Army to drag Maura out of her house at 5 AM in her pajamas and ship her off to Guantanamo Bay as an enemy combatant.

Anytime the court's power is threatened and government threatens not to enforce their rulings, the court will strike with a vengeance. Having sitting justices on the court be threatened by mobs outside their homes, an attempted murder of one of them, along with all the calls for violence and the ruling the court made, including the meek John Roberts, to say what they did in NYSRPA and basically set the grounds for almost all gun control regulations to be struck down shows how pissed they are and what lengths they will go.

This was a warning not just to the Democrats, but to the lower courts as well. Keep up with this bullshit and the Supreme Court will make their lives a living Hell.

You worry about a bunch of stuff that is complete useless.

If Wildlife attacks you, chances are you won't have much time to react, and in many cases might not even know the animal is there. So a bigger, heavier gun, which is also slower to draw, is your go to weapon while saying you want to draw fast?

The best gun to carry in thst situation is one you practice with A LOT. Still, good luck hitting a dangerous animal charging at you in the forests of New England.

I will give you credit, at least you didn't mention carrying one of those snub nose 500 SW that are the biggest POS for self defense, sold to city bois as "bear survival". [rofl]

Seems like a good reason to abolish Bar associations and their government condoned monopoly on professional licensure for the legal profession.

I thought I read in the decision that SCotUS was affirming the 14A incorporates ALL of the Bill of Rights to States. Which is a big deal reversing the original SCotUS decision in the 1870s which didn't recognize the full incorporation of the 14A.
As I understand it, through the years the Court has applied a piecemeal approach to incorporating the Bill of Rights against the states, including individual provisions only when a relevant case came before them. That's why Thomas refers to individual rights in the passage you quoted, instead of just referring to the Bill of Rights or "constitutional rights" in general.

However, constitutional law is damn tricky even at the best of times, and I am not a lawyer, just an interested layman. So you could well be right and I could be wrong.

Back
Top Bottom