Supreme Court - NYSRPA v. Bruen - Megathread

Two SCOTUS decisions today, an immigration case 5-4 with Gorsuch writing a dissent joined by sotomayor, Breyer and kagan.
Gorsuch took the correct side, and explained why:

“Today, the Court holds that a federal bureaucracy can make an obvious factual error, one that will result in an individual’s removal from this country, and nothing can be done about it.”

Haven't they been busted at least twice in NYC taking bribes for permits?
If I remember correctly , one was to the tune of like ten grand.
The NYC system of greasing involved 5 figure political donations. Grease the right pol enough and you got a real carry license.

10 grand is probably on the low side for that city whats that like 1.5 months of rent there?

The strategic NYC resident would book an appointment for a carry permit interview now (probably a few months out) in case the SCOTUS decision removes the "may". The line after such a decision, if it happens, is going to be years long. Remember, the NY idea of a "speedy permit law" is "respond within 6 months or notify the applicant of the delay" (yes, really - at least outside of NYC)

The strategic NYC resident would book an appointment for a carry permit interview now (probably a few months out) in case the SCOTUS decision removes the "may". The line after such a decision, if it happens, is going to be years long. Remember, the NY idea of a "speedy permit law" is "respond within 6 months or notify the applicant of the delay" (yes, really - at least outside of NYC)
I wouldn't put it past NYC to void all appointments booked prior to the ruling.

This is the one I was recalling.

Nice work if you can get it.

Reverend Sheriff Laurie Smith?? ROFL!!!! Do you shake her hand, genuflect or cuff yourself and bend over????

Sick? No. Business as usual. Pay-to-play is, was, and always will be rampant in government. As long as humans control it, it will be rife with corruption. The best we can do is Dr. Lanning's 3 laws. ;)

Unconstitutional? Youbechersweetbippie!

Sucks that they now seem to dickslap non full time residents though...

Makes the Mass scheme look like shall issue.
Dad retired to ny and had their license before he passed.

He had to take a class at the sheriff's building 4 hours to learn how to fill out the application.
Next he arranged with an ffl to receive his handguns from me that I was holding for him.
I then had to ship from a mass ffl to his ny ffl as the ny ffl wouldn't sccept them from a non ffl.
The mass ffl did a packing list of gun description serial number and sent that to the ny ffl.
The ny ffl did a 4473 and did up some forms for ny state dad got a copy. He had to submit them with the application.
Book a fingerprint session at a private contractor pay 2 fees to them, they printed up a receipt with a claim number that got turned in with the application and application fee. Wait for a court date and appear before a judge in a licensing session. Similar to a mass clerk magistrate hesring over a speeding ticket. Small room the judge a recorder and himself. Go over the application and answer questions from the judge. It was granted he got more paperwork that he took downstairs gave to the court clerks who printed up a license while he waited. One card was the license to carry a handgun in NYS except city. The other was a card that listed the serial numbers of his guns. In NYS touching a handgun that is not on your card is a felony. Husbands wives, family sons daughters can cross list serial numbers. It does count on the maximum number. The judge in the county said the max was 32. Two cards with 16 per card. Then dad took the cards, the stamped paperwork back to the ffl. They did another 4473 and he took possession of his guns.
Total time was 3 months. The class was 150. Fingerprints was a bit over a 100.00 I dont remember the license fees or what the ffl charged him for storage. Ballpark around 500 total. This was 2009ish, Montgomery county.

@Talon3 that is. circus. To think that he could move back to Mass and not have to FA-10 any one of those firearms. Like they never were.
He was in love with upstate ny lol. No traffic small town living. Downtown was a flashing light at a four way intersection. Agway / gas station after hours was a cash box to write up what you bought and leave cash. He passed Jan 2018 pancreatic cancer.

As bad as nys is with handguns they absolutely don't care about rifles or shotguns. Drivers license 4473 and out the door. Many gas stations, non chain drug and c stores have shotgun shells for sale with sale items at the register lol. Pepper spray is weird only residents can purchase and they keep a log at the store.
One messed up state for real. It should probably be more like 3 states. The city, the east Adirondack Catskills area, and the rest.

Makes the Mass scheme look like shall issue.
Dad retired to ny and had their license before he passed.

He had to take a class at the sheriff's building 4 hours to learn how to fill out the application.
Next he arranged with an ffl to receive his handguns from me that I was holding for him.
I then had to ship from a mass ffl to his ny ffl as the ny ffl wouldn't sccept them from a non ffl.
The mass ffl did a packing list of gun description serial number and sent that to the ny ffl.
The ny ffl did a 4473 and did up some forms for ny state dad got a copy. He had to submit them with the application.
Book a fingerprint session at a private contractor pay 2 fees to them, they printed up a receipt with a claim number that got turned in with the application and application fee. Wait for a court date and appear before a judge in a licensing session. Similar to a mass clerk magistrate hesring over a speeding ticket. Small room the judge a recorder and himself. Go over the application and answer questions from the judge. It was granted he got more paperwork that he took downstairs gave to the court clerks who printed up a license while he waited. One card was the license to carry a handgun in NYS except city. The other was a card that listed the serial numbers of his guns. In NYS touching a handgun that is not on your card is a felony. Husbands wives, family sons daughters can cross list serial numbers. It does count on the maximum number. The judge in the county said the max was 32. Two cards with 16 per card. Then dad took the cards, the stamped paperwork back to the ffl. They did another 4473 and he took possession of his guns.
Total time was 3 months. The class was 150. Fingerprints was a bit over a 100.00 I dont remember the license fees or what the ffl charged him for storage. Ballpark around 500 total. This was 2009ish, Montgomery county.
Whoever said to start applying now might be right! Holy cow!

I remember back in the 80's there was a story that Steven Tyler and Joe Perry of Aerosmith had NYC carry permits, wonder how much it cost them? Free concert tickets to Pols and Cops? When Joe Perry lived in Marshfield I think he had a huge room built just to store his revolvers. I saw a pic of it I think in Rolling Stone, but maybe it was a gun mag.

Whoever said to start applying now might be right! Holy cow!

That was in a gun friendly county too. Out there the county judge is like how mass towns are. Theres green and red counties. You must apply in the county you reside. Also I have to add he had to have 3 letters of recommendation from already licensed people from within his county.

@Talon3 that is. circus. To think that he could move back to Mass and not have to FA-10 any one of those firearms. Like they never were.

Circus is right that is one messed up state. Like the county issues a state permit thats not valid for the city. So its not really a state permit. Nyc should just become its own state.

Gorsuch took the correct side, and explained why:

“Today, the Court holds that a federal bureaucracy can make an obvious factual error, one that will result in an individual’s removal from this country, and nothing can be done about it.”
That's okay, elections can be stolen and nothing done about them, Census figures be incorrect and again nothing can be done about it.

I'm sick of hearing how "nothing can be done" about whatever criminal activity or incorrect decision is made at high levels, we do have a solution, but everyone in this country is a big, giant pussy now that can't do anything but bitch and moan.

I'm sick of hearing how "nothing can be done" about whatever criminal activity or incorrect decision is made at high levels, we do have a solution, but everyone in this country is a big, giant pussy now that can't do anything but bitch and moan.

What is your solution?

The semi-final solution
There is that whole being killed or held in a cell without representation the rest of your life thing that tends to hold people back if they were to attempt the semi-final solution to corruption. Nevermind actually doing it.

I think being memory holed in a cell would be worse than death.

We still thinking June for a release on this? Tomorrow is an opinion day right? Small chance?

The more “controversial” cases are released the last 2 weeks of the term. I can’t remember one which was released earlier than that. Next term there’s an affirmative action in college admissions case. The arguments are in October or November but I guarantee the opinion won’t be released until late June.

Yeah. That's gonna end poorly AGAIN for the liberals. Hahhh'vuhhhd won't know WHAT to do with itself when they realize they are more a status symbol than an institute of higher learning.

But their discrimination against Asians and other groups is epic. LOL. They don't want the best students. They take in legacy candidates in order to demonstrate their "future earnings #'s" and then a pile of AA candidates who are GOOD students, but not traditional Harvard quality.

Same goes for many of the top schools. Their future-earnings numbers are like that "Six men go to dinner, each paying according to his income. THE bill is $40. One guy pays $32. One pays 7. Another pays 1. Three pay zero." type stories. A few outliers on the Harvard roster and it looks like everyone is a successful genius.

Yeah. That's gonna end poorly AGAIN for the liberals. Hahhh'vuhhhd won't know WHAT to do with itself when they realize they are more a status symbol than an institute of higher learning.

But their discrimination against Asians and other groups is epic. LOL. They don't want the best students. They take in legacy candidates in order to demonstrate their "future earnings #'s" and then a pile of AA candidates who are GOOD students, but not traditional Harvard quality.

Same goes for many of the top schools. Their future-earnings numbers are like that "Six men go to dinner, each paying according to his income. THE bill is $40. One guy pays $32. One pays 7. Another pays 1. Three pay zero." type stories. A few outliers on the Harvard roster and it looks like everyone is a successful genius.
Yup, these arrogant liberal elitists think they can get away with discriminating against Asians because they are a small minority who usually just goes along to get along. I think they've underestimated the Asians who are big on education.

Pretty good article on the NYSRPA case. The only two justices to no write an opinion from the November cases are Barrett and Thomas.

Thanks for posting.

Hopefully they will not stop with the current case and will put another on deck for next session.

From the article....
Beyond Bruen, the Court has several other Second Amendment-related cases that it’s currently considering in conference or has placed on hold pending the decision in the New York carry case. Bianchi v. Frosh, which is a challenge to Maryland’s ban on so-called assault weapons, was scheduled to be heard in conference last Friday, and Duncan v. Bonta, which takes on California’s ban on “large capacity” magazines, is scheduled to be heard at the Court’s next conference coming up this Friday. Association of New Jersey Rifle & Pistol Clubs v. Platkin, which is another magazine ban case, and the open carry case known as Young v. Hawaii are also on hold, likely pending the decision in Bruen.

🐯

Thanks for posting.

Hopefully they will not stop with the current case and will put another on deck for next session.

From the article....

🐯

Everyone believes the NYSPRA case will be decided favorably for the 2A, how far it goes is the question. Regarding the Duncan, mag limit cases, AWB in Maryland, etc, I think there’s a 30% chance they take up one of those cases. I think the more likely course is they return them to the circuit courts to reconsider based on the NYSRPA decision.

Basically, you got it wrong, look at it again and issues a ruling the other direction. That means those decisions will end up pro 2A but it may slow the process and a pro 2A decision on AWB, mag limits, etc in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 9th circuits doesn’t directly affect those of us in the 1st circuit court of appeals (MA, NH, ME, RI and PR). Comm 2A, etc would need to file another suit and the district courts in MA and the 1st circuit haven’t abided by the heller and McDonald rulings so they’d likely ignore the NYSRPA and rulings from other circuits.

[strike]district[/strike] courts in MA and the 1st circuit haven’t abided by the heller and McDonald rulings so they’d likely ignore the NYSRPA and rulings from other circuits.
FIFY

The traditional levels of constitutional scrutiny are strict, intermediate and rational basis. The MA and First Circuit recognize a fourth level "arbitrary scrutiny".

Back
Top Bottom