Surprised and a little disappointed

Pilgrim

NES Member
RETIRED, at home or wherever I want to be
Took my new 629 .44mag to the range today. I took an old helium tank, the kind that you buy to blow up balloons. It looks just like a 20 lb propane tank but is much thinner and more cheaply made.

I put the tank (empty) on the 50yd berm and fired the .44mag at it.

I used 240 gr SJSP magtech ammo and hit it four times out of I won't tell you how many tries !

Each time the round dented the tank and bounced off !

I thought there'd be some good sized holes in it.

I'm going to have to try FMJ I guess.

BTW the gun is a sweet shooter, handles recoil pretty well and is pretty accurate...at least as accurate as I am !

Don't know if I like the feel of the square butt though.

629_1.jpg

It sure is bigger than my model 66 !

Man that is one fine looking revolver. Maybe you should try some of these from DoubleTap (LOL):

".44 Magnum 320gr WFN 50rds.
This load hits like a semi-truck! A 320gr wide flat nose LBT-style bullet at REAL .44 Magnum velocities. THE PERFECT cartridge for the serious hunter and for woods defense. You want penetration, you got it! This cartridge uses standard pressure. Overall length is 1.65", it may be too long for some revolvers. You can use it in any .44 Magnum that is in good condition! This powerful loading comes in boxes of 50!

Caliber : .44 Magnum

Bullet : 320gr Wide Flat Nose Hardcast

Ballistics : 1300fps - 1201 ft./lbs. - 6.5" bbl.
1600fps from a Win. 1894AE 16" trapper carbine"

A Model 29 (or a 629) is definitely on my list of "someday I want one" guns... and the first accessory that I'll be getting is something like Hogue or Siles grips for it. I HATE the S&W square butt grips; they simply do NOT fit my hands.

I'm not surprised. I doubt you'd get too many softpoint pistol ammos to pierce any pressure vessel at that distance, even thin walled ones. They mushroom too much and impart all their energy over too wide an area.

I'll bet FMJ would do it, or at least the front wall and maybe dent the back pretty well.

Back
Top Bottom