Survival Deals

Don't forget about bulk staples like rice. I think of prepper food as fuel. How many calories do I have on hand. These 26lb pails of rice have a 7year shelf life and contain 42,000 calories and don't take up much room. At 900 calories/dollar, it's not the cheapest rice, but it's still cheap calories with a reasonably good shelf life. And for a light diet of 1,800 calories/day, that's $2/day to keep fuel in yourself.

Going to have to get a couple of these pails as suggested as a supplement to the e-food. Makes great sense in terms of stretching calories and adding some bulk to each meal. Thanks!

Don't forget about bulk staples like rice. I think of prepper food as fuel. How many calories do I have on hand. These 26lb pails of rice have a 7year shelf life and contain 42,000 calories and don't take up much room. At 900 calories/dollar, it's not the cheapest rice, but it's still cheap calories with a reasonably good shelf life. And for a light diet of 1,800 calories/day, that's $2/day to keep fuel in yourself.

what's the best way to prep for having to boil water for things like cooking rice? I bought a propane stove recently that uses BBQ grill propane tanks, but wondering if there's a better way?

what's the best way to prep for having to boil water for things like cooking rice? I bought a propane stove recently that uses BBQ grill propane tanks, but wondering if there's a better way?

During the snow storm in October a few years ago I used sterno heaters and a coffee can. Took a bit to get to a boil but it worked and their perfectly safe to use indoors at the time propane and everything else was either sold out or the store was closed and I had these at my job. Propane stove burners work great too.

During the snow storm in October a few years ago I used sterno heaters and a coffee can. Took a bit to get to a boil but it worked and their perfectly safe to use indoors at the time propane and everything else was either sold out or the store was closed and I had these at my job. Propane stove burners work great too.

If you have a gas stove you can still use it and light it manually. I'm mentioning it because I can't believe the number of people that don't know that.

Also, soaking rice or other grains for at least an hour or even longer will reduce the cooking time.

If you have a gas stove you can still use it and light it manually. I'm mentioning it because I can't believe the number of people that don't know that.
Good point. I remember being told that natural gas is one of the last things to stop working when the SHTF. Since the previous owners ran a NG line to the rear porch our grill runs on the house's NG so cooking will only require good foul weather gear.

I have sterno and a cheap little sterno stove (~$5 at Walmart), and also a Solo Stove which uses twigs - it's a really cool stove, I'll probably never need it but I couldn't resist.

Also, soaking rice or other grains for at least an hour or even longer will reduce the cooking time.

I wish we had gas. :(

I knew soaking made rice softer, didn't know it reduces cooking time, good to know, thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

I have sterno and a cheap little sterno stove (~$5 at Walmart), and also a Solo Stove which uses twigs - it's a really cool stove, I'll probably never need it but I couldn't resist.

Lol I have a Solo Stove too. we have lots of twigs around here. :)

Camp stove with several bottles of propane. Less than $50.

Or, wood fire with a stainless steel pot and a grate. $0, if you already have the pot and steal the grate from the BBQ.

100 ways to skin this cat. One of those little "twig stoves" would be great for very long term SHTF since the fuel supply is endless (I'm ALWAYS picking up oak twigs in my yard!). I have a small backpacking stove that runs on Coleman fuel. A gallon of fuel will boil a shit-ton of water and has a shelf life of 10+ years. Propane or other bottled gas is good too. Whatever works for you.

I have a normal size 2 story Cape house. We have used just our gas stove to heat the house during power outages. It wasn't really cold out, but it worked well enough that only a sweatshirt was needed to keep warm.

If you have a genny and a space heater, invest in a case of those thermal emergency blankets. You can use them to seal off a room and keep the heat in.

Probably run it again on Veteran's day. Might get some more then. Have eight now Found some gray plastic totes Wal-mart that hold the contents of 4 boxes nicely. Still haven't ordered any of the 16 serving "72 hour kits" cause I still can't do the math! Would make sense two order 2 pouches of breakfast stuff (4 servings each) and call it a 4 day supply, each meal consisting of 1/2 pouch, two servings. That way, you'd have 24 servings and the math works. And you'd have a reasonable amount of food per day.(I think)

It might be easier to Google "rocket stove" than find an H block - there's a ton of variants based on "crap I had lying around the yard".

Back
Top Bottom