Suspect fires, police put him down - a clean shoot in KC, MO

The backup officer did some nice work here.

Link to story

Link to video

The dashcam video of a shootout that killed a suspect has been released by Kansas City Police.

On Sept. 6, veteran officer Galand McGinnesss and Eric Turner responded to reports of a car that had crashed into a tree. In the video you can see Turner arrive near the crash as 36-year-old Exae Chavez-Gutierrez walked away from the accident.

Once the vehicle was located, officials were told Chavez-Gutierrez was headed towards Iser Park.

According to his dashcam video, you can see McGinness arrive at the park first, Chavez-Gutierrez walk towards the police cruiser, raise a handgun, and start shooting.

On Turner's dashcam you can see McGinness fall back behind his car door but emerge unscathed.

Both officers then returned fire, yelling at Chavez-Gutierrez to drop his gun.

According to police, Chavez-Gutierrez fell to the ground with his finger on the trigger as officers continued to tell him to drop the gun.

"It's a dramatic piece of video and just illustrates how dangerous the job is," said Police spokesman Capt. Rich Lockhart. "And you never know what you're going to see when you show up for work."

Following the incident, the officers were on paid administrative leave, but were later cleared by a Jackson County grand jury after the shooting was deemed justified.

According to police, the toxicology reports show that there was alcohol and marijuana in Chavez-Gutierrez's system.

I can't believe officer #1 didn't have a heart attack. He was the size of Chris Farley.

(alfa beat me to it)

It's absolutely scary and sobering to see how calm and collected the kid was as he nonchalantly walked towards the first officer popping off rounds. There was a nanosecond in the dashcam vid from the first car where it almost looked like he was motioning with his hands and facial expression as if to be saying, "WTF, aren't you going to shoot me?"

Not to nit-pick, especially after the bravery displayed by the second officer, providing cover fire as the first one recovered and then charging right at the kid, but man that looked like a clumbsy reload! Looked like he was fumbling around with the empty mag and even inserted it back into his mag holder. God I hope I'm never in a situation like that, experiencing that stress-induced loss of fine motor skills that happens. Bottom line...2 good officers alive, idiot bad guy dead....society wins!

Illegal immigrants: doing the crimes Americans don't want to do

Last edited by a moderator:
good shoot. That bigger cop made one hell of a hustle while on his back lol.. glad the officers involved were ok. Just another piece of trash taken off the streets

Back
Top Bottom