SWC bullets and a 1911

Not sure if this should be in reloading or equipment. Please move if I'm in the wrong spot.

ok, silly question time:

I'm getting ready to set up to start loading .45ACP for my S&W 1911, and I need some advice before I buy my supplies.

Should I expect any difficulties feeding semi wad cutters (SWC) or flat nose bullets?

Thanks,
Matt

You won't have any problem with your S&W. I just loaded up a bunch of 200 gr. LSWC's today after doing a test run on Tuesday to choose the load. Here's the one I went with -- 4 grains of Bullseye, 10 shots @ 15 yards, S&W 1911PD Government:

target.jpg

My 1911's have always fed SEMI-wadcutters and Round Nose Flat Points without a hitch. I now use RNFPs exclusively, so as to have a common bullet for semis and revolvers alike.

Not sure if this should be in reloading or equipment. Please move if I'm in the wrong spot.

ok, silly question time:

I'm getting ready to set up to start loading .45ACP for my S&W 1911, and I need some advice before I buy my supplies.

Should I expect any difficulties feeding semi wad cutters (SWC) or flat nose bullets?

Thanks,
Matt

Many 1911s feed swcs reliably but you can't bet on it. Some guns do, some guns don't. Make sure you get a swc of the H&G #68 design. This bullet was designed to duplicate the feeding performance of round nose. I would avoid plated swcs as I have had nothing but trouble with them.

Flat nose bullets can cause feeding problems, I have found them to be sensitive to OAL. Again, it depends on the gun.

I use cast lead (H&G #68) swcs for almost all of my practice and resort to plated for matches. Rainier makes a nice plated 200 gr round nose bullet that is extremely reliable.

My SW1911Sc 5" and SW1911PD 4" feed 200g SWC pushed by 4.3g of W231 without a problem

My S&W 1911 won't feed them well at all.

You won't have any problem with your S&W. I just loaded up a bunch of 200 gr. LSWC's today after doing a test run on Tuesday to choose the load. Here's the one I went with -- 4 grains of Bullseye, 10 shots @ 15 yards, S&W 1911PD Government:

My 1911's have always fed SEMI-wadcutters and Round Nose Flat Points without a hitch. I now use RNFPs exclusively, so as to have a common bullet for semis and revolvers alike.

Many 1911s feed swcs reliably but you can't bet on it. Some guns do, some guns don't.

So what makes the difference? Is the feed ramp cut differently on the SW1911PD vs the S&W E.C. (and maybe mine)? Is it a matter of polishing the feed ramp?

I think what I'll do is see if I can buy some loaded SWC's and try them in my pistol before I go out and buy 500 or a 1000 bullets.

Thanks guys,
Matt

Why not try some hard cast round nose and avoid the problem altogether?

Have you ever tried Oregon Trail bullets? That's all I reload for revolvers.

Matt, I loaded 1000 of these for my 625 and 4506 before I bought my 1911. When I got my 1911, I found out right away that they would not reliably feed in it. If I decide to load another batch, I'm sure I'll be able to mess with the O.A.L. a bit and get them to feed just fine.

I have 2 1911s a S&W and a Para both feed my own cast swc no problem.
Most feed problems are magazine related,if yours don't work try borrowing a different MFG mag and give it a go

So what makes the difference? Is the feed ramp cut differently on the SW1911PD vs the S&W E.C. (and maybe mine)? Is it a matter of polishing the feed ramp?
Polishing the feed ramp is not a solution. The feed ramp needs to be free of tool marks and that is about it (assuming correct geometry). A correct gun will run fine with SWC. An incorrect gun won't. Take your pick of what can be incorrect there is no shortage....

The magazine is a good place to start to get SWCs to feed reliably but that is not always it. Most any magazine design out there will feed SWCs reliably in a correct gun. The magazine can be a band-aid for an incorrect gun if you desire.

My S&W 1911s feed SWCs reliably enough that I am not concerned with correcting them.

Last edited:
I shoot Sundays at Danvers F&G. You are welcome to shoot as my guest and try out some of my loads for testing purposes. Let me know if you'd like to try.

I shoot Sundays at Danvers F&G. You are welcome to shoot as my guest and try out some of my loads for testing purposes. Let me know if you'd like to try.

Hey, Thanks!

It's a bit of a drive though. I did find a place I can get some to try at a reasonable price.

Thanks again,
Mat

Matt - I've got several boxes of .45 SWC bullets in different brands and weights. You're welcome to try any or all of them if we can figure out how to hook up. PM me and let me know when you'll be shooting at Gardner next and I'll try to stop by with an assortment.

Matt - I've got several boxes of .45 SWC bullets in different brands and weights. You're welcome to try any or all of them if we can figure out how to hook up. PM me and let me know when you'll be shooting at Gardner next and I'll try to stop by with an assortment.

Hi Dick,

That would be great! I'll make a trip to Gardner just for that, so if you have a trip planned, let me know and I'll pop down. Now that the weather is warming up you'll find me out doors in Winchendon most of the time now (unless it is raining hard).

Matt

You will have nothing but trouble shooting SWC's in Glocks, my Para hates them (one in ten jams), but my Kimber has yet to have a failure to feed. Go figure.

You will have nothing but trouble shooting SWC's in Glocks, my Para hates them (one in ten jams), but my Kimber has yet to have a failure to feed. Go figure.

I've used SWC's in 3 Paras; 2 .45's and a .40. The reason I switched to RNFP's was simply to stock one load for both the 1911 and the 625.

Bullet length is important, as is sufficient "nose" to guide the cartridge up the ramp.

Back
Top Bottom